solution for software- and patch management

Garb Dowle

Jul 27, 2009, 9:25:20 AM7/27/09

we have several Linux servers (SLES10) at our company. We need a
solution for installing patches and updates autonomously on these
servers to keep them up to date. It should be flexible, so that we
could use it to patch other distributions like e.g. Ubuntu in future.

During our research we found the public paper "Use of Cfengine for
Automated, Multi-Platform Software and Patch Distribution" by David
Ressman & John Valdés (http://www.usenix.org/events/lisa00/full_papers/
ressman/ressman_html/index.html).
This looks interesting, but unfortunately the scripts aren't available
any longer (link http://astro.uchicago.edu/~davidr/cfengine-tools/ is
dead). (Perhaps somebody knows a mirror??)

We would appreciate it, if somebody could help us. Cfengine looks very
promising and we would like to use it.

Thank you
G. Dowle