Feature Request: LSPATH for filename completion.

SomeDeveloper

Jul 10, 2008, 11:56:07 PM7/10/08
Hello,

1. It may help if we could overload CDPATH (either as it is, or via a
shopt for backward compatibility reasons) so that Filename Completion
consults CDPATH also.

2. Use case.
My CDPATH is: '.:~'
I'm sitting in /tmp dir, and would like to issue an 'ls' or 'rm' on ~/
foo/file-with-a-very-long-name without really saying...
ls ~/foo/file-with-...

What I would rather like to say is...
ls foo/file-with-<TAB>

Currently, the only way I can accomplish the above is by first doing a
cd foo
... which I think is very... boring? :-)

3. If overloading CDPATH with this additional semantics (even via the
shopt route let's say) is a big deal (for, I'm no Unix/shell guru),
may I propose a new bash variable LSPATH/NAMEPATH/NMPATH/etc, which is
consulted during tab-assisted filename completion?

Regards,
/SD

pk

Jul 11, 2008, 4:29:32 AM7/11/08