Product or Profit?

Patrick Anderson

Nov 14, 2008, 12:17:18 PM11/14/08
to GNU Society
Treating profit as a reward for the current owners is an
enormous incentive to incorporate. In fact, I'm afraid it is almost
the only incentive nowadays.

But there is another reason that people choose to organize and work
together.

The other reason is actually the true, primary and original reason for
all production: *PRODUCT*.

The actual result of production is Product as a Good or Service.
Production doesn't cause Profit. Profit is something that MIGHT come
later if a Consumer pays a Price above Cost.

Profit is the difference between Consumer Price and Owner Costs

When I use the word 'PROFIT' I am talking about the difference between
the Price a Consumer pays, and the Costs the Owner incurred during
that production (and other, semi-hidden costs such as interest on
loans, insurance, etc.). Corporations already sort that all out and
report a final thing called 'profit', so these calculations can
obviously be performed.

When I use the word 'PRODUCT' I am talking about the output or
objective of that production. For example, the products of an apple
tree might be, apples, shade, and maybe even some wood.

When I use the word 'PRICE' I am talking about the amount a Consumer
pays - we'll assume it is in Federal Reserve Notes for now.

When I use the word 'COST' I am talking about the amount a group of
Owners pay before and during production.

PROFIT only appears when a PRODUCT is sold at a Price above Cost.

----

Ok, so that was all very elementary, but it must be outlined if we are
to move to the next observation that is somehow not obvious:

There is a special case in economics where the Price of a Product can
safely reach Cost, and where Profit can be zero.

That case occurs when the Means of that Production (the land, tools,
etc.) are Owned by a group that invested for the purpose of achieving
"at cost" access to that product.

Their "return on investment" is "at cost" goods (such as organic food)
or "at cost" services (such as cell-phone service).

Profit is not the only incentive, and can be replaced by *Product* in
the special case where Product Consumers Own the Means of that
Production.

All policies designed to insure price stays above cost (such as
destroying or limiting the growth of food, or trade tariffs, etc.) can
be phased-out in all industry where the Means of Production are
sufficiently Consumer-Owned.

Patrick

Patrick Anderson

Nov 14, 2008, 12:20:23 PM11/14/08