two issues with 1.0.8

Liviu Andronic

Jul 28, 2013, 3:49:14 PM7/28/13
to gnome-...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,
I see too issues in gnome-mplayer 1.0.8.

First, I cannot gnome-mplayer dvd://1 . Instead of opening the first
stream, as mplayer does, gnome-mplayer forces the DVD menus. Is this
expected?

Second, the subtitles menus are permanently disabled. See attached:
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=05224863707427691909 .

Regards,
Liviu

--
Do you know how to read?
http://www.alienetworks.com/srtest.cfm

Kevin DeKorte

Jul 28, 2013, 6:21:23 PM7/28/13
to gnome-...@googlegroups.com

Liviu Andronic

Jul 29, 2013, 2:36:43 AM7/29/13
to gnome-...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 12:21 AM, Kevin DeKorte <kdek...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> First, I cannot gnome-mplayer dvd://1 . Instead of opening the
>> first stream, as mplayer does, gnome-mplayer forces the DVD menus.
>> Is this expected?
>>

> Yes, as it was determined that DVD support for menus was good and I
> felt this should be the default mode that mplayer is started in for
> that media type.

This may be suboptimal in some cases. Here when playing DVD with
menus, some visual artifacts related to menu-selection occurred and
were kept for the entire duration of the movie. For this reason I had
to attempt playing the DVD without menus (and had to default to plain
mplayer in the end).

While keeping the default with menus, it would be a nicer user
experience to be able to force Gnome MPlayer to play any specific DVD
stream, especially if launched from the cli. (I would even argue that
gnome-mplayer dvd://1 and mplayer dvd://1 should behave similarly, or
at least this is what I think that users would expect.) Maybe offer a
--no-dvd-menus switch?

> In the final release of 1.0.8 there was a fix for this. You might be
> running one of the 1.0.8 betas that had a problem with this.

I installed 1.0.8 from the Ubuntu PPA:
https://launchpad.net/~ed10vi86/+archive/video . This is the source
archive that was used for building the packages:
https://launchpad.net/~ed10vi86/+archive/video/+files/gnome-mplayer_1.0.8.orig.tar.gz
. But I can't say if it is a beta or not.

Regards,
Liviu