[gnome-mplayer] is mpv supported?

Javier Vasquez

Oct 10, 2015, 8:35:49 PM10/10/15
to gnome-mplayer
gnome-mplayer allows selecting the mplayer binary to use. I guess
when still maintained, mplayer2 was supported.

Does gnome-mplayet support mpv, which is based on mplayer/mplayer2?

Thanks,

--
Javier

Hans

Oct 10, 2015, 9:01:17 PM10/10/15
to gnome-mplayer
Javier,

I doubt it. gnome-mplayer uses the mplayer slave mode ( https://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/tech/slave.txt ) while MPV has deprecated that mode. Client programs are supposed to use the libmpv library ( https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/blob/master/libmpv/client.h ) instead.

IMHO the MPV interface is a lot saner. But putting it into gnome-mplayer would be a large development effort, or possibly a fork.

Hans

Javier Vasquez

Oct 11, 2015, 1:19:36 AM10/11/15
to gnome-mplayer
On Sat, Oct 10, 2015 at 7:01 PM, Hans <ha...@mesoscopic.mines.edu> wrote:
> I doubt it. gnome-mplayer uses the mplayer slave mode (
> https://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/tech/slave.txt ) while MPV has deprecated that
> mode. Client programs are supposed to use the libmpv library (
> https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/blob/master/libmpv/client.h ) instead.
>
> IMHO the MPV interface is a lot saner. But putting it into gnome-mplayer
> would be a large development effort, or possibly a fork.
>
> Hans

Thanks for the answer Hans.

--
Javier

Kevin DeKorte

Oct 16, 2015, 8:15:08 AM10/16/15
to gnome-...@googlegroups.com
I took a look at some of the MPV examples and it appears that the MPV team kinda followed the same pattern I did in gmtk (the library that gnome-mplayer uses to talk to mplayer). It would be some work, but I think it definitely could be possible to do. However, I just do not have the time right now.

Basically, the write_to_mplayer in gmtk_media_player.c would need to be modified to use the api

launch_mplayer would need to be replaced
thread_reader would need to be replaced
thread_query as well

So at least a 1000 lines of code would need to be touched to make it work, and ideally the resultant changes would still allow for mplayer to work.

Kevin

Kevin DeKorte