GLib-GIO-ERROR **: Settings schema 'apps.gnome-mplayer.preferences' is not installed

Wolfgang Knauf

Feb 9, 2014, 3:15:50 PM2/9/14
to gnome-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kevin,

just trying to build GnomeMPlayer on OpenSuse 13.1, and I encountered
the error message from the subject.

This issue deals with the same error and helped me a bit:
https://code.google.com/p/gnome-mplayer/issues/detail?id=547

For OpenSuse 13.1 (which uses GTK3 by default, so it should be dconf
settings?!), it seems the settings files are installed to the wrong
directory.

Output of "make install":
if test -n "apps.gnome-mplayer.preferences.gschema.xml
apps.gecko-mediaplayer.preferences.gschema.xml
apps.gnome-mplayer.preferences.enums.xml"; then \
test -z "/usr/local/share/glib-2.0/schemas" || /usr/bin/mkdir
-p "/usr/local/share/glib-2.0/schemas"; \
/usr/bin/install -c -m 644
apps.gnome-mplayer.preferences.gschema.xml
apps.gecko-mediaplayer.preferences.gschema.xml
apps.gnome-mplayer.preferences.enums.xml
"/usr/local/share/glib-2.0/schemas"; \
test -n "" || glib-compile-schemas
/usr/local/share/glib-2.0/schemas; \
fi

On my machine, the settings are located at
"/usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/". So I copied the gnome-mplayer files to
this directory and ran "glib-compile-schemas
/usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas/". Now it works fine.

Is there a "./configure" switch to control this directory? There is a
"--with-gconf-schema-file-dir" option, but nothing similar for dconf.

Best regards

Wolfgang Knauf

Kevin DeKorte

Feb 10, 2014, 8:52:17 AM2/10/14
to gnome-...@googlegroups.com
Wolgang,

Where the files are placed in gsettings mode (dconf) comes from the GSETTINGS_RULES that are provided. And I believe the option you are referring to is coming from the gconf tool itself. Since I don’t see anything about it in the configure.in file.

It looks like you could influence the build with the datarootdir flag as in the Makefile I see this

gsettingsschemadir = ${datarootdir}/glib-2.0/schemas

But that also affects man pages and a few other things so that could be good or bad.

Kevin

Wolfgang Knauf

Feb 10, 2014, 4:04:53 PM2/10/14
to gnome-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kevin,

Seems the man pages are also placed in the wrong location.

# ls /usr/local/share/man/man1/
gnome-mplayer.1 mencoder.1 mplayer.1
("man1" is the only subdirectory)

"/usr/share/man" contains much more man files and is probably correct.

"man gnome-mplayer" shows an error "man:
/usr/local/man/man1/gnome-mplayer.1 cannot be resolved: file or
directory not found" (translated from German). But the help shows
afterwards.

So the way gnome-mplayer builds ist not compatible to the directory
structure of OpenSuse I fear.

Some time ago I reported a similar problem with the translations (for
me, "/usr/share/locale/" is correct, but by default it is installed to
"/usr/local/share/locale/"). Here I could work around with the
"--localedir" switch.

Do you think that changing the "datarootdir" to "/usr/share" should work
around all this issues?
Actually, specifying "--prefix=/usr" could help for those problems. But
I don't know Linux good enough to decide whether this makes sense or
would cause different problems. What do you think?

Best regards

Wolfgang

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Betreff: Re: [gnome-mplayer] GLib-GIO-ERROR **: Settings schema
'apps.gnome-mplayer.preferences' is not installed
Von: Kevin DeKorte <kdek...@gmail.com>
An: gnome-...@googlegroups.com
Datum: 10.02.2014 14:52

> Wolgang,
>
> Where the files are placed in gsettings mode (dconf) comes from the
> GSETTINGS_RULES that are provided. And I believe the option you are
> referring to is coming from the gconf tool itself. Since I don’t see
> anything about it in the configure.in file.
>
> It looks like you could influence the build with the datarootdir flag as
> in the Makefile I see this
>
> gsettingsschemadir = ${datarootdir}/glib-2.0/schemas
>
> But that also affects man pages and a few other things so that could be
> good or bad.
>
> Kevin
>
> -------------------------------------
> Kevin DeKorte
> kdek...@gmail.com <mailto:kdek...@gmail.com>
>

> On Feb 9, 2014, at 1:15 PM, Wolfgang Knauf <his-me...@freenet.de
>> <mailto:gnome-mplaye...@googlegroups.com>.
>> <mailto:gnome-...@googlegroups.com>.

Kevin DeKorte

Feb 10, 2014, 4:15:30 PM2/10/14
to gnome-...@googlegroups.com
Wolfgang,

When I build on Fedora (64 bit) I use the following

gmtk = ./configure —prefix=/usr —libdir=/usr/lib64

gnome-mplayer = ./configure —prefix=/usr

gecko-mediaplayer = ./configure   (prefix is optional here, because these files go in a special directory that libxul tells us the path to)

And when I do that everything is put in the right place. If you build without the prefix usually the installer will put things in the wrong place on modern distr.’s. Because on modern distro’s the packages are build with —prefix=/usr

Kevin
-------------------------------------
Kevin DeKorte

Wolfgang Knauf

Feb 11, 2014, 3:37:43 PM2/11/14
to gnome-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, this seems to work, and it makes sense. I am a Linux noob,
though I use it for years now occasionally ;-).

One wish: could this be added to some of the documentations, it not done
already? (I did not read them I have to admit, because I am used to
building GnomeMplayer :-().

What about changing the defaults to match those "modern distros" (if
they all have the same path concepts).

Best regards

Wolfgang

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
'apps.gnome-mplayer.preferences' is not installed
Von: Kevin DeKorte <kdek...@gmail.com>
An: gnome-...@googlegroups.com
Datum: 10.02.2014 22:15