Website outdated and wiki spammed into the ground

Oisín Mac Fhearaí

Dec 31, 2011, 5:03:58 PM12/31/11
to GNOME Do
Hi all,

I went to the Do website on davebsd.com today to look for some basic
instructions on using Do. Eventually I found the instructions, but not
before being totally bombarded by spam. So I cleaned up a few of the
pages, reverting months of crud from spammers fighting each other.
Checking again about 8 hours later, there were already a bunch more
new pages created by spambots.
If nobody has time to install some kind of Captcha tool or something,
then maybe new page creation should be disabled, or even all edits to
the wiki other than by one or two admins?

Also it would be nice to update the version info - at the moment it
says the last release was in 2009, and the immediate impression the
site gives is that the project is dead, which it apparently is not! :)

p.s. Happy new year!

David Siegel

Jan 2, 2012, 12:43:03 PM1/2/12
to gnom...@googlegroups.com
Oisín, thank you for taking this on.

I receive a few emails per month about this issue, and although I don't see it as my concern since I haven't been involved in the project for a few years, I do have some recommendations:

* Move the project from Launchpad/Bazaar to GitHub/Git.
* Move the entire website, including the wiki, under version control.
* Create a Git-based workflow for contributing to and updating the website, which reuses the same authentication and group permissions as the code host, so that anyone can proposes merges for the website, and any contributor can push updates to the live site.

As far as the Git-based workflow is concerned, I would recommend porting the existing site to a static site generator such as Jekyll or Middleman. If the new website were build with one of these static generators, and hosted on GitHub, we could use GitHub's static website serving (GitHub Pages) to automatically serve the site from the Git repo. This would naturally inherit GitHub's team authentication, solve the spam problem, and give us a much more robust way to make and publish changes.

David

David Siegel

Jan 3, 2012, 12:03:17 PM1/3/12
to gnom...@googlegroups.com
Here's an article demonstrating many of these recommendations:

David

Oisín Mac Fhearaí

Jan 6, 2012, 12:32:37 AM1/6/12
to GNOME Do

On Jan 3, 5:03 pm, David Siegel <djsie...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here's an article demonstrating many of these recommendations:
>
> http://datadesk.latimes.com/posts/2012/01/sphinx-on-github/
>
> David

Hi David,

Thanks for the link, that seems like a powerful workflow. I'm not sure
if I have the power or ability to do those things, but maybe someone
does!

ta,
Oisín

> On Monday, January 2, 2012 at 11:43 AM, David Siegel wrote:
> > Oisín, thank you for taking this on.
>
> > I receive a few emails per month about this issue, and although I don't see it as my concern since I haven't been involved in the project for a few years, I do have some recommendations:
>
> > * Move the project from Launchpad/Bazaar to GitHub/Git.
> > * Move the entire website, including the wiki, under version control.
> > * Create a Git-based workflow for contributing to and updating the website, which reuses the same authentication and group permissions as the code host, so that anyone can proposes merges for the website, and any contributor can push updates to the live site.
>
> > As far as the Git-based workflow is concerned, I would recommend porting the existing site to a static site generator such as Jekyll or Middleman. If the new website were build with one of these static generators, and hosted on GitHub, we could use GitHub's static website serving (GitHub Pages) to automatically serve the site from the Git repo. This would naturally inherit GitHub's team authentication, solve the spam problem, and give us a much more robust way to make and publish changes.
>
> > David
>
> > On Saturday, December 31, 2011 at 4:03 PM, Oisín Mac Fhearaí wrote:
>
> > > Hi all,
>
> > > I went to the Do website on davebsd.com (http://davebsd.com) today to look for some basic
> > > instructions on using Do. Eventually I found the instructions, but not
> > > before being totally bombarded by spam. So I cleaned up a few of the
> > > pages, reverting months of crud from spammers fighting each other.
> > > Checking again about 8 hours later, there were already a bunch more
> > > new pages created by spambots.
> > > If nobody has time to install some kind of Captcha tool or something,
> > > then maybe new page creation should be disabled, or even all edits to
> > > the wiki other than by one or two admins?
>
> > > Also it would be nice to update the version info - at the moment it
> > > says the last release was in 2009, and the immediate impression the
> > > site gives is that the project is dead, which it apparently is not! :)
>
> > > p.s. Happy new year!

David Siegel

Jan 6, 2012, 12:30:12 PM1/6/12
to gnom...@googlegroups.com
Oisín, I will mentor you through these changes if you want to learn. You just need to get authorization for a plan from Chris or whoever is in charge here. Chris? Anyone?

David
To post to this group, send email to gnom...@googlegroups.com.

Oisín Mac Fhearaí

Jan 6, 2012, 1:01:15 PM1/6/12
to GNOME Do
On Jan 6, 5:30 pm, David Siegel <djsie...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Oisín, I will mentor you through these changes if you want to learn. You just need to get authorization for a plan from Chris or whoever is in charge here. Chris? Anyone?
>
> David

Okay, sounds like a good plan - I'd be happy to try, but can't dig
into it until my PhD writeup is finished (which, at the current rate,
looks like black hole time, but... you know :D). Hence why I was
looking for a quick fix first!

Oisín

Christopher James Halse Rogers

Jan 9, 2012, 3:20:08 AM1/9/12
to gnom...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, 2012-01-06 at 10:01 -0800, Oisín Mac Fhearaí wrote:
> On Jan 6, 5:30 pm, David Siegel <djsie...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Oisín, I will mentor you through these changes if you want to learn. You just need to get authorization for a plan from Chris or whoever is in charge here. Chris? Anyone?
> >
> > David
>
> Okay, sounds like a good plan - I'd be happy to try, but can't dig
> into it until my PhD writeup is finished (which, at the current rate,
> looks like black hole time, but... you know :D). Hence why I was
> looking for a quick fix first!

I've made a quick and dirty fix by removing the wiki links from the
website. That's not a wonderful fix, but it seems the wiki is becoming
progressively less useful.

If you're interested in maintaining the website, awesome! I'm bumping
along slowly maintaining the core code, but I'm not experienced in web
dev and it's not something I'm desperately interested in.

I'd like to keep the code on Launchpad, but I don't think it's necessary
to keep the website vcs at the same place. If you want to maintain the
website I'm very happy for you to use whatever technologies you want.

Chris

signature.asc