Minx graphic novels for girls

Lynne

Jul 9, 2009, 12:28:20 PM7/9/09
to Graphic Novels in Libraries UK
Hi all,

Hope you're having a good summer.

Came across DC's Minx range of graphic novels for girls. Any thoughts
on these?

I've had a look at the accompanying website and wasn't that impressed,
however I wondered if any of you have had success with them.

The website: http://www.dccomics.com/minx/

Cheers,
Lynne

Mel Gibson

Jul 9, 2009, 1:59:18 PM7/9/09
to GNL...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

Depends what you are using them for and who you are aiming them at. I'm
assuming you have read the books as well as looked at the website.

I find they work well with older women... (esp 'Plain Janes' and 'Plain
Janes in Love'). Maybe use those titles with an older readers group, not the
original intended audience?

Mind you, I was recently at the Leicester book awards for young people,
where the young adult readers really rated 'Blabbermouth and Me' by Mike and
Louise Carey, so that title worked for the young people's book groups in
that area.

The covers are shite, but, with sensitive booktalking they can work out
fine. Plus, being lateral helps.

All the best

Mel

Koenig Gabrielle

Jul 10, 2009, 4:44:46 AM7/10/09
to GNL...@googlegroups.com
I've read a few of these and I actually think they're not bad. Fast paced and lively.

Some of them may not appeal to a younger audience - for example Good as Lily by Derek Kirk Kim seems to me something that you really have to be a bit older and have had regrets about parts of your life to really appreciate.

On the other hand Burnout by Rebecca Donner and Emiko Superstar by Mariko Tamaki are really really enjoyable and interesting for all ages.

I also liked Token by Alisa Kwitney, although I'm less sure of its appeal to Teen girls - the art is a bit odd, but wasn't sure why it specifically described as the 80s, you could have left that out and it wouldn't really matter.

best wishes

Gaby Koenig

Librarian for Children and Young People

Slough Library

Slough Borough Council

Tel 01753 787524 / 01753 787514

Fax 01753 825050

www.slough.gov.uk

gabriell...@slough.gov.uk

Please don't print this email unless you really need to - think of the environment

Jul 10, 2009, 5:55:33 AM7/10/09
to Graphic Novels in Libraries UK
Thank you ladies, that was very helpful! I'll certainly try out
Burnout and Emiko Superstar.

I should have said that they're for a high school library - sorry.
Based on the online previews and some reviews, I wasn't convinced of
their appeal to 13 to 15-year-old Glasgwegian schoolgirls, so your
advice is much appreciated.

I have a small collection of GNs at the moment, which were bought
primarily to encourage reluctant (predominantly male) readers. The
boys are borrowing but, due to the selection, younger girls are not.

The (alt/rock/whatever-you-want-to-call-them) senior girls are keen to
read GNs, but I'd like to give the younger Jacqueline Wilson/Grace
Dent lot the chance to try something a bit different. Based on earlier
advice, I've purchased some Fruits Basket and I'll look into more
Manga, but I'd like something non-Manga.

Thanks again!
Lynne

Andrew Salmond

Aug 21, 2009, 4:54:12 AM8/21/09
to Graphic Novels in Libraries UK
I would say that, unfortunately, they've actually ceased the line.
Critically speaking, I would say they were always a bit of a mixed bag
and the idea that a line targeted towards teenage girls mainly being
written by men in their 30's & 40's was a bit strange.

Something I would highly recommend for girls that feels more like what
they were hoping for is Hope Larson's Chiggers.Preview over at
http://www.hopelarson.com/

Andrew.

Lynne

Sep 7, 2009, 4:44:18 AM9/7/09
to Graphic Novels in Libraries UK
I think my 1st and 2nd year girls would love Chiggers, unfortunately
our book supplier doesn't stock it, so I'll have to go elsewhere!
Thanks Andrew!

On 21 Aug, 09:54, Andrew Salmond <andrewsalm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would say that, unfortunately, they've actually ceased the line.
> Critically speaking, I would say they were always a bit of a mixed bag
> and the idea that a line targeted towards teenage girls mainly being
> written by men in their 30's & 40's was a bit strange.
>
> Something I would highly recommend for girls that feels more like what
> they were hoping for is Hope Larson's Chiggers.Preview over athttp://www.hopelarson.com/
>
> Andrew.
>
> On 10 July, 10:55, Lynne <kookyd...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Thank you ladies, that was very helpful! I'll certainly try out
> > Burnout and Emiko Superstar.
>
> > I should have said that they're for a high school library - sorry.
> > Based on the online previews and some reviews, I wasn't convinced of
> > their appeal to 13 to 15-year-old Glasgwegian schoolgirls, so your
> > advice is much appreciated.
>
> > I have a small collection of GNs at the moment, which were bought
> > primarily to encourage reluctant (predominantly male) readers. The
> > boys are borrowing but, due to the selection, younger girls are not.
>
> > The (alt/rock/whatever-you-want-to-call-them) senior girls are keen to
> > read GNs, but I'd like to give the younger Jacqueline Wilson/Grace
> > Dent lot the chance to try something a bit different. Based on earlier
> > advice, I've purchased some Fruits Basket and I'll look into more
> > Manga, but I'd like something non-Manga.
>
> > Thanks again!
> > Lynne- Hide quoted text -

Mel and David Gibson

Sep 7, 2009, 1:18:58 PM9/7/09
to gnl...@googlegroups.com
Hope Larson a fab creator... have really enjoyed all the titles I've
come across so far.. Salamander Dream was lovely.

Mind you, nearly all British comics for girls were written and drawn
by men of that age and, amazingly, some of those titles sold 800, 000
a week at peak! I suspect that one can never be sure what readers will
pick up on and enjoy once the text is out there, no matter who creates
it.

All the best
mel

Mel and David Gibson

Sep 7, 2009, 1:22:52 PM9/7/09
to gnl...@googlegroups.com
I know it is manga (although the manga influence varies considerably),
but I would go for the Manga Shakespeare comedies...

best

Mel