ul

Tanika Svrcek

Jan 25, 2024, 1:49:39 AMJan 25
to gnarunmacock

Titanium Backup is a backup utility for Android that backs up your system and user applications along with their data on external storage of your choice. It is a leading Android application that uses root access to pull all your important applications and data from the system partition and stores them for future restoration. Whether your phone is corrupted or flashed with a custom ROM, Titanium Backup can save the hassle to get your phone loaded up just like it was before. Best of all, it is FREE! If you use it regularly, the PRO version will enhance the experience like never before! Get it today and protect your precious data before its too late!

Titanium Backup Pro 8.3.3

Download Filehttps://t.co/cAFb5A6Ckm

On my phone, a OnePlus 3 running Marshmallow, I have Titanium Backup configured to run automatic backups twice a week. When it runs, it gets stuck. The notification displays "Skipping 96% - Wi-Fi access points." This notification sticks around until I force quit Titanium Backup or reboot the phone, and I presume that the backup never completes.

You need to create a filter to exclude the 2 WiFi Access Points.In Titanium Backup, Goto Menu > Filters (under General) > Create Label (At the bottom right) > Add/Remove elements > Select all and then Uncheck the 2 WiFi Access Points at the bottom of list and Save (check mark at top right) Click Load/Save filter to save it as a filterIn scheduled backups, edit and select the Filter name and save

On Samsung, you'll need to tap Settings > Accounts and backup > Backup and restore > Google Account to get to the same spot. You can also use your Samsung account to back up your phone.

Some questions that would still be nice to have answered if anyone knows:
-How is calendar data stored in android? Is it tied to a specific app or is there a system wide database? If a system wide database, does that data have to be associated with a specific google account?
-How can you tell which google account a TBP backup is associated with?
-Can that google account be changed before a restore?

interestingly, this just reminded me of the iPhones native offline data transfer via cable or iTunes without the need of a cloud backup. does your phone offer anything like this, maybe you can just plug it into your old phone and transfer it all across natively (unless its broken to the point of un-usable, in which case are you trusting TBP with your backups? does it not have native offline backup?

You can backup, restore, freeze (with Pro) your apps + data + Market links. This includes all protected apps & system apps, plus external data on your SD card. You can do 0-click batch & scheduled backups. Backups will operate without closing any apps (with Pro). You can move any app (or app data) to/from the SD card. You can browse any app's data and even query the Market to see detailed information about the app.

So after loading GrapheneOS, I installed Play Store from the apps application (Didn't really want to but I needed to get my phone working again) and got all of my apps installed, and then that's where things went off the rails. Prior to installing the apps, I rooted it (I know some will say bad idea, but I use apps like Titanium Backup, which is where the main problem came in, and Root explorer). After the apps were installed, I used Titanium backup to restore data to my apps, and that's where it fell apart. Every app that I restored data to crashed on start. Clear data and cache for the app and it would run. My guess as to the reason is due to the fact that Play store is sandboxed and how the sandboxed play store installed the apps is different from how they're normally installed. So I had to revert to ProtonAOSP to get fully functional again, which the latest version, has suffered from some random reboots and boot loops.

And the hard part is I can't just test it to see - I need to commit, and if things don't work out, like they didn't the first time around, it's a long process to get back where I was. In the 'old days', I'd take a 'Nandroid' backup to an external SD card using TWRP, then if things went sideways, I could fairly quickly. When I reverted, it took HOURS for the phone to restore all of my messages from backup after the time to install all of the apps, then restore their data.

matchboxbananasynergy
Thanks for the reply - I'm not DEAD SET on rooting it. It's just one of those things that's 'how I've been doing it', mainly due to using Titanium Backup to backup my apps and app data, as well as freeze certain apps, mainly google apps that I don't need/want but can't be uninstalled without roaching the OS, and it's worked well for that. Obviously, the app freeze would be of little to no use with GrapheneOS as it doesn't contain all the google junkware, so that just leaves app data backup/restore. I've done some more searching and it seems there may be some options, Helium seeming to be one of them that seems more promising. But given that Titanium Backup, which has worked perfectly for me for a LONG time across quite a few Android releases, including across major revision releases, failed miserably here, I'm concerned that there might be some possibility that other backup apps may have the same issue.

SubnetMask It's just one of those things that's 'how I've been doing it', mainly due to using Titanium Backup to backup my apps and app data, as well as freeze certain apps, mainly google apps that I don't need/want but can't be uninstalled without roaching the OS, and it's worked well for that.

I switched to GrapheneOS quite recently and I went through the exact same frustrations as you. I have previously been using another phone with LineageOS and I had the perfect backup solution: Neo Backup for APK + full data backup and then sync to my PC using Syncthing. It worked amazingly but Neo Backup needs root as it backups through file access.

Coming to GrapheneOS, the developers are pretty adamant on not supporting root access because they claim it goes against security principles of GrapheneOS. I understand their reasoning and I can agree but then without root, there is no way of keeping a backup of the app data on your phone.

People recommend Seedvault but Seedvault doesn't even work properly (I tried) and the development stopped completely. I also tried adb backup/restore but it is also another fluke. The only alternative is rely on the export/import options of each app and copy files one by one back and forth.

The developers have been promising a brand new backup solution for a few years now already but nothing has come out yet. I wish they could just somehow embed Neo Backup as a system app and allow backups through there.

I don't want to mislead people either. I get that you want to err on the side of safety, but it is still an error. It is also misleading to OVER-state the risks of rooting too. I don't know why you don't even acknowledge the important timing aspect. We can agree on the extreme risks of rooting, but you seem to actively avoid the fact that the extreme risks are gone after an hour, when the backup is complete and you revert from root. Just like the significant risk of unlocking the bootloader are gone once the OS is installed and you relock it.

Graphite I don't know why you don't even acknowledge the important timing aspect. We can agree on the extreme risks of rooting, but you seem to actively avoid the fact that the extreme risks are gone after an hour, when the backup is complete and you revert from root. Just like the significant risk of unlocking the bootloader are gone once the OS is installed and you relock it.

In order for the setup that you so adamantly propose is not as harmful as I'm making it out to be, not only do you require root, the harmful effects of which are well known, even to you, but you also need to keep the bootloader unlocked, as locking it again would wipe the device, which would make no sense, as the reason for rooting it in the first place was to restore your backup. This completely destroys the Android security model beyond just rooting. You cannot assume that your device is secure at any point as one of the most crucial parts of the security model is now missing. Android is as secure as it is because every little security property that it has adds up to the overall approach that keeps it secure. By poking holes into the system, you're completely tearing that apart.

Realistic and practical if the need for frequent system backups outweigh the risks of OS attestation.
Until GrapheneOS devs either fix seedvault or build a new system backup system, it is realistic that some people will do this.

Graphite This is absolutely unrealistic and in no way practical. Even IF this posed no security compromises at all, I would like to see a grandma or random normie do this even once, not to mention regularly as their backup. You must be joking, this is significantly worse than even the TWRP backups from the 5.0 days. Appens your post with /s next time.

Yours have none of these, you cant automate it, you cant do it online, you can't test your backups[test!=deploy] and if grandma wants to do your backup, she will likely fuck up something. Congratulations, that was the exact opposite of helpful.

Whatever the case may be, I think that our time would be collectively much better spent on giving alternative backup strategies that don't break the security model more thought to try and help people that way.

I do agree this backup method is bad. Overly complex but is still more reliable than seedvault. The right thing do is donate to GrapheneOS devs to prioritize a backup system. Until then, it is up to users (retired grandma or security engineer) to decide.

matchboxbananasynergy I think that our time would be collectively much better spent on giving alternative backup strategies that don't break the security model more thought to try and help people that way.

This app offers two versions, the basic version of Titanium Backup is available for free. And its Pro version with the premium storage will cost $5.99 USD. Other than creating standard backups, users can create easy to restore zip file backups. Those who purchase the PRO edition will have the ability to send backup data to various online services. Such as Dropbox and Google Drive for easy recovery.

dd2b598166