Openstack Windows 10 Image Download BETTER

Tanika Svrcek

Jan 25, 2024, 1:36:49 PMJan 25
to gnarunmacock

We can use New-WindowsOnlineImage in windows-openstack-imaging-toolstool as an option to create Windows images (whole disk images) correspondingboot modes which will support for Windows NIC Teaming. And allow theutilization of link aggregation when the instance is spawned on hardwareservers (Bare metals).

The major Linux distributions are known for providing images ready for download (for example Ubuntu or CentOS). Even though the same does not apply to Windows due to licensing constraints, Microsoft has granted the rights to distribute Windows trial images for OpenStack to Cloudbase Solutions, along with a specific End User License Agreement (EULA) that limits the usage to evaluation purposes only, excluding, in particular, any commercial usage (see EULA below).

openstack windows 10 image download

Download >>>>> https://t.co/6exPQGDXkL

Our offer comes with managed and unmanaged support packages, including different SLA options. Also included is all of our domain experience in preparing images for third parties, taking into consideration that the customer owns the base Windows OS SKU license (e.g. Volume Licensing, SPLA, or others).

If sysprep still fails, you can check the log file c:\Windows\System32\sysprep\Panther\setuperr.log. The most probable error is the installation of some applications or updates in language files. In case you find anything like Error SYSPRP Package XXX was installed for a user, but not provisioned for all users. This package will not function properly in the sysprep image this is your case.

If anything goes as described in this tutorial, VirtualBox should have shut down your VM at the end of the previous step, and you should be ready to transfer the virtual disk to your OpenStack deployment. In my case, the name for the disk is windows10foropenstack.qcow.

In my case, I am setting hw_cpu_max_sockets to 2 at the image level so that OpenStack will calculate the other values. Moreover, as my disk is 60Gb, I am setting the minimum size for the disk to that value, just to make sure that Windows can run. The command in the CLI would be similar to this one: openstack image set 93f656a8-529d-41a1-9f92-96983e7d47bb --min-disk 60 --property hw_cpu_max_sockets=2.

Now you need to instruct OpenStack to use UEFI with your image, which is done by setting metadata variable hw_firmware_type to uefi. In the CLI, the command is similar to this one: openstack image set 93f656a8-529d-41a1-9f92-96983e7d47bb --property hw_firmware_type=uefi.

Download a Windows 2016 Server ISO image at Microsoft (requires registration.)
Download the Fedora VirtIO drivers. You can find more options here.
In this example we will use VirtalBox, although you can also use KVM on Linux for this.

Finally, Windows will ask for a passphrase, after that the installation will be finished. Because you want to create an image, you now have to edit your own settings. There are many manuals available on rules about what you can and cannot edit, and why. We will limit ourselves to the necessary settings.

If uploading will take longer than an hour you will get a 401-error, you get this error because in the meanwhile your token has expired. You can ignore this error. Enter the following command to make sure your image has been added to the list of available images in OpenStack:

The process of building an image requires creating a virtual machine, installing the OS, and then doing some configuration for a cloud environment. The first thing to do is to actually build the VM. We start with creating a virtual disk. This disk image should be as small as possible since the image will be grown once it is deployed in the Cloud environment, but it can never be shrunk.

First, we need to disable the Windows Firewall. Although this step is technically optional, most Cloud infrastructures, such as OpenStack, provide their own firewalls via Security Groups. Therefore, it is optimal to disable Windows Firewall in the Cloud image.

Once we have the image, we need to upload the image into OpenStack Glance. Note that the image requires a minimum disk size of 12GB (we have set 14GB here, just to be safe), and a realistic minimum RAM of 2GB.

Although we will not discuss the specifics of creating an instance in OpenStack, you can now use the image you uploaded to create the instance. When the instance is created, you will need to extract the password from OpenStack Nova in order to login. When you start the instance, ensure that you created it using a keypair for which you also have the private key available. Without these, you will not be able to login to the Windows instance.

We have seen how to use a Linux computer running KVM to create a customized Windows Server 2016 or 2019 in QCOW2 format Image for OpenStack. Once you know the steps, creating additional images, or performing additional customization is not terribly difficult at all. We can not always escape using Windows, but at least we can use it in a way that integrates smoothly into our existing Linux-based Cloud environments.

Many Linux Operating Systems provide cloud VM image snapshots that you candownload and upload for use on your cloud. OpenMetal provides a few of themost recent and common Linux distribution images to newly provisioned OpenMetalclouds. At time of writing Windows does not provide public OpenStack nativeimages so you must create one manually which can be customized for your needs.

For the Windows Evaluation ISO image you may need to fill out of a form. Aspreviously mentioned, for this exercise we obtained the Windows Server 2019Evaluation Image from the Evaluation Center

Note: At this point it is recommended to ensure that all available updates,service packs and required software changes are complete and applied. Thiswill ensure that minimal time is required for maintenance of new instancescreated from the image.

Now that your Windows VM is installed, configured, and stored in yourwindowsserver2019.qcow2 image, it can be uploaded to your cloud for reuse andgeneral provisioning by all of your OpenStack users and administrators.

1
Installed Cloud-Init and sysprepped image using cloud-init unattend file as doc from cloud-init. Nothing changed except adapter to lsiLogicsas. Launch image and checked the "Configuration drive".
Result: Image boots, sysprep (cloud-init) begins but after a while VIO shuts down VM and runs guest customization and starts again resulting the VM to halt because the sysprep didn't finish.

2
Using a clean windows image without any cloud-init. Changed to customize the image during launch with vmware and did not checked Config drive". The image lunches, vmware shuts it down, customizing guest, power on, the VM reboots 3 times and then it's up and running. The only thing I notice is that the partintion isn't expanded to the total disksize. Otherwise it seems to work.

With linux guests i have no problems, but with windows guests when i launch a set of istances i receive the random error 'no valid host' and in in the vsphere console appears this messagge "error vmware tools are not installed".

Ubuntu12 is running on this VirtualBox, On this Ubuntu12, I installed OpenStack Essex packages with qemu as hypervisor, and added few uec linux images on to glance, I was able to access linux images using ssh and vnc, it was great success.

Now, It has become very challenging to upload Windows image , it was really a night mare I tried all possible ways, searched in google found lot of solutions, but nothing worked, at last I converted WindowsXp.vdi file to WindowsXp.img using VBoxManage and added to glance, once I launch it I am getting blue screen error and windowsxp is horriblyrestarting......................... So please help to resolve this issue

Your windows images (server or desktop) will BSOD without the correct drivers for the virtualization that you have chosen. Try installing the windows image with one of the drivers at (QEMU drivers) and see how it goes.

Please note: Windows is notoriously difficult to run on any cloud not just OpenStack. In addition to the drivers, you will wrestle with image format (like you have) and initialization problems (otherwise all the images come up with that same GUIDs).

I am attempting to install a windows 7 SP1 32 bit virtual machine instance on my organization's openstack infrastructure. My problem is not related to setting up the .iso on Openstack, it is related to the actual windows 7 installation.

I am at the point where I can create an image with the .iso, click on 'console' and I can access windows 7's GUI as if it was on my own machine. I had no options but to "Install Windows" so I started that, but ran into problems when I get to the screen that says:

When installing windows 2008 R2 in kvm on a virtio disk, it seems there is no support for drivers. Even after installing the drivers I wasn't able to install windows to the image. This because windows doesn't see the image as bootable. So how to make a windows server 2008 R2 that supports virtio and can be added to Glance?

First of all we will need to create an image to install the virtual machine into. Microsoft says 10 GB is the minimum, but I used 15 GB. Remember that this is not the final size of your virtual machine,once it is introduced into Nova Compute.Create a raw image called windows.virtio:

Now that the guest OS is installed, we must configure the system for use in a Cloud environment. Cloudbase Solutions has developed Cloudbase-Init which is the Windows equivalent of the Cloud-Init project used on most OpenStack Linux images.

However, when using Windows 10 QCOW2 image in OpenStack, had to wait for a long time for the image to boot up. This was because of an error in Windows unattend file configuration. Follow the article: How to fix Windows could not parse or process the unattend answer file for Pass Specialize to solve the issue and now the Windows 10 QCOW2 image is ready to be deployed in OpenStack Cloud.

Proceed further to create a Windows Image with Autologin configured so that the user need not manually provide the username and password for every bootup. Export the Windows 10 QCOW2 image to be deployed in OpenStack Cloud with has an Autologin feature enabled!

df19127ead