Raj Choudhary

Jul 2, 2023, 1:59:39 AM7/2/23
to gmx_MMPBSA
Dear Sir

Is there any accepted quantitative correlation between experimentally observed percentage of inhibition and MMPBSA binding energy?

For example, if a drug candidate A is showing an experimental inhibition of 80% while candidate B is showing an inhibition of 30% at the same concentration, what difference in their MMPBSA binding energy may be expected?

Thank you in advance

Best regards

Raj Choudhary

marioe911116

Jul 2, 2023, 10:58:14 PM7/2/23
to gmx_MMPBSA
Well it's a little bit complicated to answer the question without previous knowledge of the system, but a way to go here could be trying to generate IC50 values and those are the ones typically used to perform comparison with MMPB(GB)SA

Raj Choudhary

Jul 4, 2023, 9:18:37 AM7/4/23
to marioe911116, gmx_MMPBSA
Thank you sir for the clarification. I will interpret the results accordingly.

Best regards

Raj Choudhary

Jul 9, 2023, 11:48:15 AM7/9/23
to marioe911116, gmx_MMPBSA
Dear Sir

For the inhibitory action against the particular enzyme, the IC50 for compound A was found to be around 11micromolar, while that for B was around 23 micromolar concentration of the respective drug molecules.

 Is it now possible to have a rough idea regarding what might be the expected difference in their MMPBSA binding energies?

Thank you

Best regards

Raj Choudhary

Mario Sergio Valdes

Jul 9, 2023, 1:40:33 PM7/9/23
to gmx_MMPBSA
Normally, a lineal regression parameterization is used to correlate the experimental energy with the theoretically estimated energy of several similar systems (set of reported inhibitors of a receptor in question). Therefore, it is not easy to estimate the expected differences in this case, but it can be expected to correctly classify both ligands (although it depends on the estimation error).

marioe911116

Jul 9, 2023, 10:43:13 PM7/9/23
to gmx_MMPBSA
∆∆G[A-B]≈RT*ln(IC50[A]) - RT*ln(IC50[B])

assuming T=310K, then:

∆∆G≈0.002*310*Ln(11E-06) - 0.002*310*Ln(23E-06)

∆∆G≈-0.46kcal/mol (expected difference)

Raj Choudhary

Jul 10, 2023, 8:37:54 AM7/10/23
to marioe911116, gmx_MMPBSA
Dear Sir

Thank you so much for your kind help. I really appreciate. Your explanation is very useful.

Best regards

Raj Choudhary

Raj Choudhary

Jul 16, 2023, 1:21:49 PM7/16/23
to gmx_MMPBSA
Dear Sir

Can you kindly help me to understand the physical significance of del EPB and del ENPOLAR that are obtained as the energy components in a MM-PBSA output file? Under what situations will a ligand (within the protein-ligand complex) show a higher positive EPB? Is there a way to reduce it?

marioe911116

Jul 16, 2023, 7:56:02 PM7/16/23
to gmx_MMPBSA
EPB and ENPOLAR are the polar and non-polar components of the solvation energy calculated with the PB model. Further information about these terms can be found in our introduction section

Raj Choudhary

Jul 17, 2023, 3:03:46 AM7/17/23
to marioe911116, gmx_MMPBSA
Ok, thank you sir for the reference.