Difference between PBSA and GBSA

Dong Man Jang

Jul 1, 2021, 4:50:34 AM7/1/21
to gmx_MMPBSA
Hello,

When I read article about MMGBSA, MMGBSA takes shorter time to calculate the binding free energy than MMPBSA, but both results for binding-free energy would be similar.

I downloaded examples from gmx_mmpbsa homepage and run gmx_mmpbsa (ST) after I add $pb lines in the file of mmpbsa.in like below,
---------------
 $ gmx_MMPBSA -O -i mmpbsa.in -cs com.tpr -ci index.ndx -cg 1 13 -ct com_traj.xtc -lm ligand.mol2
--------mmpbsa.in--------
&general
sys_name="Prot-Lig-ST",
startframe=5, endframe=20, verbose=2,
forcefields="oldff/leaprc.ff99SB,leaprc.gaff"
/
&gb
igb=5, saltcon=0.150,
/
&pb
istrng=0.15, fillratio=4.0
/
--------------------------
It gives the result as below,
GB model - Differences (complex - receptor - ligand)
DELTA TOTAL) -57.2477

PB model - Differences (complex - receptor - ligand)
DELTA TOTAL) -2.53

I wonder if this is possible that both results show big differences.
I think that the result of GB model with -57.2477 kcal/mol is more reasonable than that of PB model with -2.53 kcal/mol.
Did I run it with something wrong?

Many thanks
Dongman Jang

Mario Ernesto

Jul 1, 2021, 5:28:59 AM7/1/21
to Dong Man Jang, gmx_MMPBSA
Nothing wrong here... They would produce similar solvation energies for small molecules... not the case for bigger systems... you should also consider that in this case, PB uses a different model than GB for calculating the non-polar part of the desolvation energy (check this thread https://valdes-tresanco-ms.github.io/gmx_MMPBSA/Q%26A/calculations/#possible-solutions_2). GB as you pointed out is faster than PB.

hope this helps!

Mario E.

Dong Man Jang

Jul 2, 2021, 3:24:30 AM7/2/21
to gmx_MMPBSA
Oh, I understand.

When I followed the instruction as shown in the link you add, it gives different result that PB method have -40 kcal/mol, which is more reasonable for my guess.
Nonetheless, considering the fact that the binding-free energy result from a PB method could be largely fluctuated depending what options I choose as a input parameter, it seems a bit difficult for me to use it.

Many thanks!
Dongman Jang
2021년 7월 1일 목요일 오후 6시 28분 59초 UTC+9에 marioe911116님이 작성: