App Blocked

Josef

Jan 30, 2022, 7:36:27 AM1/30/22
to Gmvault-Users
When I try to login in my account,
google report that the App was Blocked!

Message has been deleted

Harold Erdman

Apr 1, 2022, 8:43:40 PM4/1/22
to gmvaul...@googlegroups.com
I have 2FA, but gm-vault still didn't work

On Sun, Mar 27, 2022 at 1:43 AM bruno <bruno.l...@gmail.com> wrote:
If you have 2FA, then you need to generate an app password. If you don't have 2FA you need to enable "Low Security" mode.

--
Gmvault: Gmail backup, simply
---

Harold Erdman

Apr 1, 2022, 8:44:34 PM4/1/22
to gmvaul...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, I forgot to include the error message:

  Invalid credentials, cannot login to the gmail server. Please check your login and password or xoauth token.

JL

Aug 9, 2022, 9:26:18 PM8/9/22
to Gmvault-Users
Hi,

Not sure whether the issue you have experienced has been solved, but seems you will need to create an App Password in your Google account, and then use that App Password (instead of your account password) in gmvault.

Hope this helps.

Julie Smith

Aug 10, 2022, 5:51:41 AM8/10/22
to gmvaul...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

It is possible to run gmvault without setting an App Password. See the thread at

I have 2FA enabled, and no App Passwords, and it works for me.

Kind regards,

Julie Smith

Harold Erdman

Aug 22, 2022, 9:18:38 PM8/22/22
to gmvaul...@googlegroups.com
I tried, I still get the dreaded error message:

This app is blocked
This app tried to access sensitive info in your Google Account. To keep your account safe, Google blocked this access.

Julie Smith

Aug 23, 2022, 7:56:17 AM8/23/22
to gmvaul...@googlegroups.com
Hello Harold,

All these steps at
must be completed. The only difference for Windows is that on Windows, the file to edit is at %USERPROFILE%\.gmvault\gmvault_defaults.conf (instead of for $HOME/.gmvault/gmvault_defaults.conf Linux) e.g. C:\Users\Julie\.gmvault\gmvault_defaults.conf

Remember also to delete the previously obtained OAuth2 token file. On Windows this would be %USERPROFILE%\.gmvault\my.e...@gmail.com.oauth2
e.g., on my system, the file to delete is C:\Users\Julie\.gmvault\MY....@gmail.com.oauth2

Change the following 3 values;
conf_version=1.9
gmvault_client_id=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.apps.googleusercontent.com
gmvault_client_secret=YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

Change XXXX and YYYY to the values returned in the last step above.

For example, the changed lines in my gmvault_defaults.conf file;
#Do not touch any parameters below as it could force an overwrite of this file
[VERSION]
conf_version=1.9

[GoogleOauth2]
scope=https://mail.google.com/
# The URL root for accessing Google Accounts.
google_accounts_base_url=https://accounts.google.com
# Hardcoded dummy redirect URI for non-web apps.
redirect_uri=urn:ietf:wg:oauth:2.0:oob
#identifier and secret in app mode for gmvault
gmvault_client_id=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.apps.googleusercontent.com
gmvault_client_secret=YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

I hope this helps,

Julie Smith

Harold Erdman

Aug 24, 2022, 4:34:58 PM8/24/22
to gmvaul...@googlegroups.com
Julie,

I had made the changes to:
gmvault_client_id
gmvault_client_secret

But I had not made the change to conf_version, because I didn't see that mentioned in the post. I actually have version 1.9.1, but I made the change to 1.9 as you suggested.

I also hadn't deleted the old OAuth2, so I deleted it this time.

But I still get the error message.

I then noticed that the .gmvault_db_version.info still had 1.9.1, so I change it to 1.9. But again I still get the error message.

Thanks

Harold

Julie Smith

Aug 26, 2022, 7:58:06 AM8/26/22
to Gmvault-Users
Hi Harold,

I would not change the  .gmvault_db_version.info value, as it may cause issues accessing your local database The only values that need to be changes are the 3 that I mentioned;
conf_version=1.9
gmvault_client_id=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.apps.googleusercontent.com
gmvault_client_secret=YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

I installed and setup gmvault on a new Windows 10 system, and I've documented the steps at

The only time that I got an "App Blocked" was when I had skipped a step.

I hope this helps,

Julie

Harold Erdman

Oct 21, 2022, 3:05:40 PM10/21/22
to gmvaul...@googlegroups.com
Julie,

It took me a long time, I tried it again and this time it worked. I believe the crucial error I made before was to leave out the gmvault check --renew-oauth2-tok EMAIL...@gmail.com step.

Thanks!

Harold

Julie Smith

Oct 23, 2022, 3:09:38 AM10/23/22
to Gmvault-Users
Hi Harold,

I'm really glad that worked.

All the best,

Julie

Harold Erdman

Nov 3, 2022, 4:32:18 PM11/3/22
to gmvaul...@googlegroups.com
Julie,

I spoke too soon...

When I tried to run gmvault today, I got a brand-new error message:

Access blocked: gmvault has not completed the Google verification process

erdm...@gmail.com
gmvault has not completed the Google verification process. The app is currently being tested, and can only be accessed by developer-approved testers. If you think you should have access, contact the developer.
If you are a developer of gmvault, see error details.
Error 403: access_denied

🙁

I'm also having a bad computer day, so try again tomorrow and maybe my luck will change.😀

Harold

Julie Smith

Nov 3, 2022, 10:43:51 PM11/3/22
to gmvaul...@googlegroups.com
Hi Harold,

I just tried it, and it works for me, so it may just have been a transient error. Hopefully it will work for you tomorrow 🤞.

However, that message may indicate that you are not using the email address entered in step 36 in the instructions at https://groups.google.com/g/gmvault-users/c/aECCZDg5zFY/m/LBpcAog3AAAJ)

You can check that your email has been enabled for testing under "Test users" at https://console.cloud.google.com/apis/credentials/consent
If you have multiple projects, make sure that you have selected the project that you created in step 15 of the instructions in the dropdown at the top of the page.

Also, confirm that you are using the "--oauth2" option
gmv_runner.exe  sync --resume --oauth2 -d DEST_FOLDER --check-db no --emails-only --no-compression YOUR....@gmail.com

It may also help to redo steps 47 through 56 of the instructions.

Kind regards,

Julie Smith

Harold Erdman

Nov 4, 2022, 10:00:09 PM11/4/22
to gmvaul...@googlegroups.com
Julie,

I discovered my problem: there are 2 Gmail accounts, 1for my wife and 1 for me. I was trying to run gmvault with my email address, but the database was my wife's. Now that I'm using the correct database with the correct email address, all is good.

Harold

Harold Erdman

Nov 4, 2022, 11:00:12 PM11/4/22
to gmvaul...@googlegroups.com
Julie,

Spoke too soon…

I was able to backup my wife's emails, but not my own. Don't know; why will try to figure it out tomorrow.

Harold

Harold Erdman

Nov 5, 2022, 12:25:07 PM11/5/22
to gmvaul...@googlegroups.com
Julie,

I discovered my problem: my email address was no longer on the list of test users. I have no idea how that could've happened.

In any case, my backup is now running.

Sorry to be bothering you with the back-and-forth!

Harold

Julie Smith

Nov 6, 2022, 12:28:20 AM11/6/22
to gmvaul...@googlegroups.com
Hi Harold,

I'm glad that it's working for you :-)

Kind regards,

Julie Smith

Chris Evans

May 13, 2023, 4:30:18 PM5/13/23
to Gmvault-Users
Hi - came across this group today and have just managed to set gmvault running successfully on a Windows 10 PC, thanks to you all

The wolfnotes link that JL has put in proved to be the trick for me, but it seems to contain a typo in the key section titled 'Now we can start using GMvault to back up this GMail account.'

The 2nd step threw up an error which looks to be as simple as a missing '-'. Fortunately the automated help script showed the error but simply, where wolf has the line

gmvault.bat sync joh...@gmail.com -p –store-passwd -d D:\GMvault\johndoe

I got an error, but inserting the extra '-' in the -store-passwd part made it work, so I think the correct syntax is

 gmvault.bat sync joh...@gmail.com -p –store--passwd -d D:\GMvault\johndoe

I'm a noob to the group and to gmvault but hopefully this might help someone who may come across the same issue

Chris