Disposable email addresses

clo...@gmail.com

Oct 1, 2010, 5:26:31 PM10/1/10
to GMusers- GMail Beta & Beyond
It would be nice if Gmail had this feature.

Andy

Oct 1, 2010, 11:28:31 PM10/1/10
to gmu...@googlegroups.com
> It would be nice if Gmail had this feature.

It does.

1. You can use "plus addressing" with your existing account.

"myname+stuff @ gmail.com" --> gets delivered to "myname @ gmail.com"

2. Gmail accounts are free. Create one, use it until you don't need
it anymore, then close it.

Unfortunately, some people don't accept email addresses with a plus
sign in them, which can limit the usefulness of (1).

Andy

Randy Harmelink

Oct 2, 2010, 12:00:50 PM10/2/10
to gmu...@googlegroups.com
(1) is customized address, not a disposable address. That can be useful for filtering purposes, but how would you turn it off? The whole purpose of a disposable address is that you can throw it away when it's no longer needed. For example, if the service I am using it for sells it to a promotional group. To stop receiving those emails, I would have to write a filter rule for that address. Allowing disposal of the address would make it easier.

Yahoo allows you to create a delivery-only address that can easily be deleted (i.e. disposed of) so that no further mail would be received by it.

P McG-G

Nov 22, 2013, 3:55:33 PM11/22/13
to gmu...@googlegroups.com
The last time I checked, Yahoo had discontinued the disposable feature which was only available on Premium accounts.

Randy Harmelink

Nov 22, 2013, 11:57:28 PM11/22/13
to gmu...@googlegroups.com
Disposable addresses still work on Yahoo. I just created a new one and sent an email to it. I received the email just fine.

It was the first new one I've created since I started using them on GMail. One disadvantage with the process on GMail is that some websites consider a "+" character an invalid one in an email address.

P McG-G

Nov 24, 2013, 11:45:42 AM11/24/13
to gmu...@googlegroups.com
Do you use a free or premium Yahoo account?

Randy Harmelink

Nov 24, 2013, 1:15:44 PM11/24/13
to gmu...@googlegroups.com
Premium.

P McG-G

Nov 26, 2013, 1:31:34 AM11/26/13
to gmu...@googlegroups.com
I had a Premium Yahoo account for several years and used disposable addresses extensively. One day I got a message from Yahoo saying they were discontinuing the feature. Apparently they've changed their mind.