Oldest mail in inbox?

Bill Holmes

Jul 2, 2011, 11:51:08 AM7/2/11
to gmu...@googlegroups.com
At the risk of sounding like an old over the hill codger (maybe I am) I notice that sometime in the last week I have lost the ability to scroll to the "oldest" emails in my  inbox, something I used to do because it is easier to scrub spam from the end of the queue.  However now that function has been replace by two arrows, where there used to be four options, newer, newest, older and oldest.

What happened, is my browser out of date or was this a GMail improvement?

I notice that the refresh link has been replaced by an icon too.

Thanks,
Bill

--
Politics and Music:in Humboldt County

http://HighBoldtage.wordpress.com

David Hays Buckley

Jul 2, 2011, 12:15:43 PM7/2/11
to gmu...@googlegroups.com
I see this too and while probably equally codgerly, decry this change unless the functionality can be easily replicated. It is the same in my Google Apps mail--does anyone know how, now, to go easily to ones' oldest mail?

Julie

Jul 2, 2011, 1:34:28 PM7/2/11
to GMusers- GMail Beta & Beyond
I hadn't noticed until you mentioned it. But yes yu are quite right.
Gmail please give us a shortcut to the oldest emails, it usualy shows
on other webpages as a double arrow >>,

Paul Geurts

Jul 3, 2011, 9:31:38 AM7/3/11
to gmu...@googlegroups.com
no problem here, still have the button to oldest mail available,
myself working with google chrome, might that be the difference?

Hassayampa Slim

Jul 3, 2011, 4:45:13 PM7/3/11
to GMusers- GMail Beta & Beyond
Yes, I've noticed this when trying to clear out large old mail, since
the upgrade.
The double arrow >> would be nice, but even just a keyboard shortcut
would be fine.
Thanks for listening to us Google.

Jeff Grossman

Jul 3, 2011, 10:09:26 PM7/3/11
to gmu...@googlegroups.com
I just figured it out. Where it lists the number of messages (### - ###
or ####), click on that and it will give you a drop down list with
Newest and Oldest. The arrows will only give you the previous or next
screens where the drop down will give you the first and last screens.

Jeff

p.s. I tried this with Firefox and Chrome and they both work.

Bill Holmes

Jul 3, 2011, 11:23:45 PM7/3/11
to gmu...@googlegroups.com
Hello Paul

That might be it, I am still using IE.  I like chrome fine, but I bought a new computer and have been too lazy to install it I guess.

have a peaceful day,
Bill

> > What happened, is my browser out of date or was this a GMail improvement?

Zack (Doc)

Jul 4, 2011, 8:17:24 AM7/4/11
to gmu...@googlegroups.com
Great catch.  I had noted it, and been slightly off-put, but not enough to post.  Glad you found it, now I can be good again :)

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/gmusers?hl=en.

Hassayampa Slim

Jul 5, 2011, 12:35:39 AM7/5/11

On Jul 3, 6:31 am, Paul Geurts <paul.geu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> no problem here, still have the button to oldest mail available,
> myself working with google chrome, might that be the difference?

Just wait Paul... you haven't gotten updated yet.
When you see "Refresh" change from a word to the Circular Arrow Icon
look for the "Oldest" link then.

Paul Geurts

Jul 5, 2011, 8:18:25 AM7/5/11
to gmu...@googlegroups.com
the question is, why haven't I been updated yet!

Andy

Jul 7, 2011, 12:37:39 PM7/7/11
to gmu...@googlegroups.com
> the question is, why haven't I been updated yet!

Things get rolled out to different users at different times.
Sometimes it may be because Google seems to prefer doing it that way
(not changing the whole universe all at once), but also it greatly
depends on the web browser you are using, and maybe one or two of your
settings.

Andy