Introduction and Permaculture Garden Grape trellis

Dustin Adams

Mar 10, 2014, 12:21:02 PM3/10/14
to gmu-permacu...@googlegroups.com
Good afternoon,

My name is Dustin Adams and I am a new volunteer. I am in the graduate program here at GMU studying Environmental Science and Policy and want to contribute to your team. After meeting with Elizabeth Torrens last week, she asked me to research some options for two grape trellis in the garden. I have a background in construction and would be willing to construct these.

There are two separate grape veins in the garden and Elizabeth informed me that one of the trellis would be a horizontal trellis and the other would be an overhang trellis to arch over the walkway. I have a few options for these with attached photos.

The first and last picture are for the horizontal trellis. One is more of a rustic look and could be constructed with fallen tree limbs on the campus. I think that this would flow with the permaculture style and be very inexpensive. I could construct this (pending how fast I find the limbs) for somewhere around $75 in hardware and concrete.

The second style is more of a traditional style trellis with clean lumber and bamboo or wires connecting the posts. As this garden is an organic garden, we should not be using pressure treated lumber so I suggest using cedar for the posts. This style (depending on the length) would cost approximately $100 - $150 to construct.

For the trellis that will go over the the path, I imagine two six by six posts with connecting 2x6's and some decorative smaller pieces (similar to the "overhead" picture). There are concerns of what type of permissions and approvals are required for any constructed trellis that people will walk under that will need to be addressed with the proper authorities. I would like to have more input before I go to the lumber yard to price this one out but I would imagine this trellis being in the range of $300 - $400 in materials.

Please let me know what you think about this and any further questions or clarifications you need. I hope to meet all of you on various projects and hope you have a great week. I will also be at the permaculture event tomorrow if anyone else is there I would love to meet you.

Best regards,
Dustin Adams
Traditional Grape Trellis.jpg
Traditional Overhead Trellis.jpg
Rustic Horizontal Grape Trellis.jpg

Marshall Wilson

Mar 10, 2014, 6:41:47 PM3/10/14
to gmu-permacu...@googlegroups.com, Erik C Backus

Please consider durability and weather in your material selection. Old vines are hard to manage without cutting them back severely when trellises fail and appearance can suffer as well.  There is also resistance to using treated lumber in the food forest.  Have you discussed design approval with GMU Planning Department, Erik Backus?

Marshall D. Wilson

Assistant Director, Maintenance and Renovation Projects

George Mason University

703-993-5660

--

---

Nicole St. Laurent

Jun 20, 2014, 6:52:23 PM6/20/14
to gmu-permacu...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I know this message is a few months old, but is anyone still interested in working on grape vine trellises?  After talking with Elizabeth, I'd like to help out with this if I can, and I am available this weekend.  Dustin or anyone else who's interested, please reply?

Thanks!
Nicole