Solution: "Error while gmote tried to start vlc. Make sure that vlc is in the PATH ... blabla"

willems davy

Jul 8, 2010, 1:58:15 PM7/8/10
to gmote users
hey guys,

i had the same error and the faq is not really usefull on this topic,
and i know what's causing it. It took me about half an hour to figure
this out...

The problem:

when you have congifured everything correctly is that on X64 systems
(doesn't matter wich windows version) the dreaded path error keeps
appearing and the server closes down.

The cause:
Gmote server tries to load some VLC libs (dll's) which are compiled
for a 32 bit systems, this works all fine and dandy when you have a 32
bit windows however if you have a 64 bit system, you'll also probably
have the 64 bit version of the java runtime installed and this is the
cause since it can't load the 32 bit dll's somehow

The solution:
The solution is pretty simple, uninstall the java 64 bit runtime
version, download the 32bit version, install that one, adopt the path
vars to reflect the new folders (it will be installed in "program
files (x86)" directory instead of the "program files" directory.

Just thought i'd share that, and hopefully the faq gets updated !

cheers

Michael Colenutt

Jul 31, 2010, 3:58:11 PM7/31/10
to gmote users
Could you explain please what you mean by "adopt the path vars to
reflect the new folders"
Thankyou

On Jul 8, 6:58 pm, willems davy <joyrider3...@gmail.com> wrote:
> hey guys,
>
> i had the sameerrorand the faq is not really usefull on this topic,
> and i know what's causing it. It took me about half an hour to figure
> this out...
>
> The problem:
>
> when you have congifured everything correctly is that on X64 systems
> (doesn't matter wich windows version) the dreadedpatherrorkeeps
> appearing and the server closes down.
>
> The cause:
> Gmote server tries to load someVLClibs (dll's) which are compiled

Ren Greco

Jul 31, 2010, 8:25:19 PM7/31/10
to gmote...@googlegroups.com

The 32 bit and the 64 bit versions of the Java Runtime environment can coexist with one another. There is no ned to uninstall the x64 JRE.

willems davy

Aug 2, 2010, 7:48:48 AM8/2/10
to gmote users
Yes they can coexists but you would still need to alter certain path
(variables), depending on how things are done... I don't have gmote
installed and don't have it either anymore at home was just fun for
testing...

But if the %PATH% var is still pointing to "Program files" on a 64 bit
system it is using the 64 bit version, x86 versions of programs are
installed in "Program Files (x86)"... and it are those i'm refering to
which you need to change... (not the directories itselves just the
variabeles that contain path's pointing to those directories...

Ahmad Ibrahim

Aug 26, 2010, 6:44:38 PM8/26/10
to gmote users
I hate paths and I hate installing multiple versions, but it
works...thanks willems.

Ahmad Ali

Apr 27, 2015, 8:10:48 AM4/27/15
to gmote...@googlegroups.com, joyrid...@gmail.com
Just simple install VLC 64 bit to solve this problem, if you are on 64-Bit  system with 64 bit java. Remember to add vlc program file folder path into your PATHs.