[GMCnet] New integral-belt, 2-arm seat prospect. 2015 Toyota Sienna

RC Jordan

Feb 23, 2016, 6:02:30 PM2/23/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
2015 Toyota Sienna 2nd row captains chairs.
http://services.edmunds-media.com/image-service/media-ed/ximm/?quality=85&image=/toyota/sienna/2015/fd/2015_toyota_sienna_rint_fd_922141_717.jpg

The 2nd row with the center jumpseat option only has the integral belt on the LH seat.

source: Bdub's FBook

--
77 Royale Coachmen Side Dry Bath
76 Birchaven Coachmen Side Wet Bath

Richard

Feb 23, 2016, 8:46:52 PM2/23/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
My seats came from a 2014 Sienna, and both have belts. Not sure if there was an original center section or what. The seats came from that guy that
used to be in Scottsdale that sold the Honda Odyssey seats. He's now near the Phoenix airport and has a small warehouse full of seats from handicap
van conversions.

http://www.gmcmhphotos.com/photos/g6911-toyota-sienna-seats.html

Richard
--
'77 Birchaven TZE...777

RC Jordan

Feb 23, 2016, 8:55:49 PM2/23/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Edmunds is showing a couple of options for the 2015 2nd row. Looks like the jump seat comes with the bucket seats. But note that the passenger-side
bucket lacks the integral belt.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Sienna-2015-second-row-TAN-LEATHER-BUCKET-SEATS-new-takeouts-/141476441194

Richard

Feb 23, 2016, 8:59:18 PM2/23/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
I don't think those are recliners, but that's the same guy, Vlad, who used to be in Scottsdale. eBay shows him still being in Scottsdale, but he's
not.

Here are the recliners:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Sienna-GRAY-LEATHER-BUCKET-SEATS-RECLINERS-SEATS-NEW-2015-2016/131734959800

Richard
--
'77 Birchaven TZE...777

RC Jordan

Feb 23, 2016, 9:00:58 PM2/23/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
I'd have to change the active headrests.

Johnny Bridges

Feb 24, 2016, 9:17:35 AM2/24/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
How are you anchoring the belts? Heaviner seat riser attachment?

--johnny
--
'76 23' transmode Norris upfit
Braselton, Ga.

"Sometimes I wonder what tomorrow's gonna bring when I think about my dirty life and times" --Warren Zevon

RC Jordan

Feb 24, 2016, 9:45:24 AM2/24/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
I'm just looking. Mostly posting this to add to our seating options. I did go look at one integral-belt vehic at pick-n-pull but the older they are,
the less likely the upholstery is going to be nice enough to use. So 2015 moves us forward in model years and maybe I can snag a set from
pick-n-pull, where all seats are priced at $40.

If I did ever install one, I'd put a pretty good size backer plate under the floorboard.

Bob de Kruyff

Feb 24, 2016, 2:55:35 PM2/24/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Richard V. wrote on Tue, 23 February 2016 18:58
> I don't think those are recliners, but that's the same guy, Vlad, who used to be in Scottsdale. eBay shows him still being in Scottsdale, but
> he's not. And his price for the Sienna recliners has gone _way_ up in two years!
There used to be 2 guys selling van seats in the Phoenix area--at that time they were Honda and Chrysler seats (same seats). I visited one of the
conversion businesses and was appalled to see how much they threw into the dumpsters. They felt it was not worth the time to resell the stuff. This
may have changed recently. I see them here at the flee markets as well.
--
Bob de Kruyff
78 Eleganza

John Wright

Feb 24, 2016, 11:29:32 PM2/24/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Bob,
Wishful thinking @ $950 for a pair plus shipping. If they starting to take these seats out when doing a conversion then the volume of available seats will increase and the price will decrease. This appears to be the same guy from a few years back. I got my Honda seats from a company in Wisconsin about 3 or 4 years and I paid a little over $200 with shipping.

What flea markets in the Phoenix area should I go to. We go to the Mesa flea market a few times each winter.

J.R. Wright
GMC GreatLaker
Newsletter Editor/Publisher
Tech Editor
78 Buskirk 30' Stretch
75 Avion Under Reconstruction
Michigan, On location in Tucson

Robert Mueller

Feb 25, 2016, 7:38:49 AM2/25/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
RC,

I believe if you look at the points that the existing seat bases attach to the "cockpit" floor you will find that the bolts go
through the aluminum frames and as a SWAG I'd say they'd hold in a crash.

The problem is the OEM seat bases themselves. IIRC the tube that the seats swivel on is 2" in diameter and it is butt welded to the
plate that swivels plus the mounting of the tube it swivels in might not take the stress in a crash.

Disclaimer: the above statements are PURE supposition; I have NO data to back it up, just a gut feel and in this instance that's not
something I would rely on as the consequences of being in error are rather dire.

Regards,
Rob M.
The Pedantic Mechanic

Bob de Kruyff

Feb 26, 2016, 12:49:06 PM2/26/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
""Bob,
Wishful thinking @ $950 for a pair plus shipping. If they starting to take these seats out when doing a conversion then the volume of available seats
will increase and the price will decrease. This appears to be the same guy from a few years back. I got my Honda seats from a company in Wisconsin
about 3 or 4 years and I paid a little over $200 with shipping.

What flea markets in the Phoenix area should I go to. We go to the Mesa flea market a few times each winter.
""

I have seen them at the flee market @ Washington and 40th st. Best to go Saturday or Sunday morning. It's quite an experience and most stuff changes
weekly. It's very different than the Mesa flee market(s).

Gordon Gibson

Feb 28, 2016, 11:15:54 PM2/28/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Hi Richard V

I am very interested in the seat swap you did. Seems to combine several benefits, not the least of which are the integrated 3-way seat belts (a
non-negotiable upgrade from my CFO's perspective).

My coach is also a 23. Do I gather that you can actually swivel and recline both the passenger's and the driver's seat (steering wheel conflicts
aside)?

Could you possibly me with contact info for the "seat guy" in Phoenix- I have trolled locally for late model Sienna seats with no luck.

Also, don't suppose you have rough drawings with dimensions of your new seat mounts that you would be willing to share?

Thanks in advance

Gordon Gibson
1976 23' Norris Upfit
Montreal West, Qc.
Canada
--
1976 23" Norris Upfit

Ken Henderson

Feb 28, 2016, 11:36:52 PM2/28/16
to GMC Mail List
Gordon,

There is a simple solution to the steering wheel interference problem. In
case you're not familiar with it, here are a couple of photos that
illustrate the "Grant Security 2000" removable steering wheel device I've
used for many years. Since this is not in the context of the album, you're
not supposed to look at anything in the photos except the steering column &
wheel. :-)

Wheel Removed (turn a key and twist a knob):

http://www.gmcmhphotos.com/photos/new-dash-panel/p23847-here-27s-what-you-get-when-you-remove-the-dash.html

Wheel Installed:

http://www.gmcmhphotos.com/photos/new-dash-panel/p24330-1290-not-too-bad-from-inside.html

Ken H.
Americus, GA
'76 X-Birchaven w/Cad500/Howell EFI & EBL,
Manny Brakes & 1-Ton, etc., etc.
www.gmcwipersetc.com

On Sun, Feb 28, 2016 at 11:14 PM, Gordon Gibson <gordon...@videotron.ca>
wrote:

> Hi Richard V
>
> I am very interested in the seat swap you did. Seems to combine several
> benefits, not the least of which are the integrated 3-way seat belts (a
> non-negotiable upgrade from my CFO's perspective).
>
> My coach is also a 23. Do I gather that you can actually swivel and
> recline both the passenger's and the driver's seat (steering wheel conflicts
> aside)?
>
> Could you possibly me with contact info for the "seat guy" in Phoenix- I
> have trolled locally for late model Sienna seats with no luck.
>
> Also, don't suppose you have rough drawings with dimensions of your new
> seat mounts that you would be willing to share?

Guy Lopes

Feb 29, 2016, 12:09:35 AM2/29/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
I have planned to add that since first seeing it in your album Ken. Here's a
link:

http://www.grantproducts.com/products/view/219/

Guy Lopes
76 Birchaven "Orion"
Sacramento, CA
W6TOL

www.GMC-Guy.com

Gordon Gibson

Feb 29, 2016, 1:09:15 AM2/29/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Thanks Ken.

How could I resist exploring the rest of the pictures.....

A new steering wheel with a thicker rim and a quick release are definitely part of my plans. But I have seen several "Not for Street Use" disclaimers
on these quick release adaptors. I bought my coach in Ontario and have yet to register it in Quebec, because this requires a safety inspection. There
was so much rust in the frame that this had to be addressed (a new Dave Stuckey frame is currently being fitted) before heading to the inspection
center.

Once I am legitimized (i.e. a Quebec plate on the coach), I will do the steering wheel swap. Is Grant the quick release hub I should use? It's a good
deal more expensive than some of the alternatives I have seen on Ebay and Amazon, but I guess that there is an element of safety involved.
--
1976 23" Norris Upfit

gene Fisher

Feb 29, 2016, 6:57:51 AM2/29/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
There are these pix from some unknowns😄
http://www.gmcmhphotos.com/photos/santa-rosa/p24897-removable-steering-wheel.html

On Sunday, February 28, 2016, Gordon Gibson <gordon...@videotron.ca>
wrote:

--
Gene Fisher -- 74-23,77PB/ore/ca
“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today --- give him a URL and

Ken Henderson

Feb 29, 2016, 8:09:33 AM2/29/16
to GMC Mail List
Guy, et al,

I should have mentioned that Grant's statement about the device being
usable only with their wheels is incorrect. They use a specific triangular
arrangement of bolts to attach their wheels to the adapter. At least with
a flat-spoked wheel like my S-10 (and the identical S-15, which carries a
GMC logo), it's trivially simple to duplicate that pattern -- just drill
the 3 holes.

I was shocked at the MSRP in your link to Grant. Common sale prices seem
to be closer to $150. It IS necessary to add a manufacturer-specific
adapter to the steering column spline. 'Way back when I installed mine,
the kit was $99 + $14.95. The current column adapter appears to be
slightly more complex, so the basic adapter design may have changed now.

I've just volunteered to give a mini-seminar on this at GMCMI Dothan, so
I'll probably be gathering more current information. Y'All come ask
questions (to fill out my time)! :-)

Ken H.

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 12:08 AM, Guy Lopes <tawp...@surewest.net> wrote:

> I have planned to add that since first seeing it in your album Ken. Here's
> link:
>
> http://www.grantproducts.com/products/view/219/

Ken Henderson

Feb 29, 2016, 12:45:23 PM2/29/16
to GMC Mail List
Gordon,

The Grant adapter is considerably more complex than the racing removable
adapters. It carries no off-road only caution that I've seen. Now whether
that leaves it street-legal, I don't know. But it does include a key which
is required to remove or install the wheel, and one would have to be very
familiar with the OEM steering arrangement to recognize the change.

I've seen no other adapter without the off-road only caution.

Ken H.

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 1:08 AM, Gordon Gibson <gordon...@videotron.ca>

Gordon Gibson

Mar 1, 2016, 9:50:19 PM3/1/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Ken

Hope to make it to Dothan - and see your presentation. Grant must have changed the way they number their parts - I went looking for S-10 and S-15
steering wheels and all of the models were identified with three numbers rather than one letter and two numbers
(http://www.grantproducts.com/products/browse/steering-wheels/automotive/). DO you by chance remember what the diameter of your wheel is?
Gordon
--
1976 23" Norris Upfit

Ken Henderson

Mar 1, 2016, 10:27:33 PM3/1/16
to GMC Mail List
Gordon,

The S-10 is a Chevrolet vs the GMC S-15. You'll have to get a steering
wheel from a junk yard. Probably for about $15.

I don't know the situation now, but when I wanted a wheel, all the Grant
wheels were too deeply dished and/or too expensive for my taste. I like
the S-10 wheel because it has only one, horizontal, spoke, which is below
the centerline of the column. That allows a clear view of the
instruments. Also, the spoke is flat for most of its span. That's
especially important for adaptation of the wheel to the Grant Security
System. It also provides a nice mounting location for the two channel
remote control I use to operate my GM ElectroMotor II cruise control. I
don't know that I've ever measure it, but I'd guess the S-10 wheel's about
16'-17" in diameter.

Hope to see you at Dothan.

Ken H.

On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 9:49 PM, Gordon Gibson <gordon...@videotron.ca>
wrote:

> Ken
>
> Hope to make it to Dothan - and see your presentation. Grant must have
> changed the way they number their parts - I went looking for S-10 and S-15
> steering wheels and all of the models were identified with three numbers
> rather than one letter and two numbers
> (http://www.grantproducts.com/products/browse/steering-wheels/automotive/).
> DO you by chance remember what the diameter of your wheel is?
> Gordon

gene Fisher

Mar 2, 2016, 5:56:10 AM3/2/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
On Monday, February 29, 2016, Ken Henderson <hend...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Guy, et al,
>
> I should have mentioned that Grant's statement about the device being
> usable only with their wheels is incorrect. They use a specific triangular
> arrangement of bolts to attach their wheels to the adapter. At least with
> a flat-spoked wheel like my S-10 (and the identical S-15, which carries a
> GMC logo), it's trivially simple to duplicate that pattern -- just drill
> the 3 holes.
>
> I was shocked at the MSRP in your link to Grant. Common sale prices seem
> to be closer to $150. It IS necessary to add a manufacturer-specific
> adapter to the steering column spline. 'Way back when I installed mine,
> the kit was $99 + $14.95. The current column adapter appears to be
> slightly more complex, so the basic adapter design may have changed now.

Be sure they publish your slides 😄