[GMCnet] Hub temperature checks with IR thermometer

Greg Crawford

Sep 25, 2021, 8:14:42 PM9/25/21
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
I'd like to take a poll on hub temperatures from those of you who check these things.

I just returned from the Dixielanders/Sunshine Statesmen Rally in Crossville, TN. Here are the particulars:

70 degrees ambient temp, sunny day, 67 miles, primarily interstate, at 55 to 65 MPH. Driving east into the sun, so wheels were not exposed to direct
sunlight. Minimal braking last several miles.

Checking temperatures on my Eagle aluminum wheels, just above the lug nuts, from a distance of about 6 inches.

Driver front: 90 degrees
Pass. front: 95 degrees (new Lenzi hub and knuckle assy.)

Driver mid: 85 degrees
Driver rear: 80 degrees

Pass mid: 86 degrees
Pass rear:88 degrees

How does this compare with everyone else's data?
--
Greg Crawford
KM4ZCR

"Ruby Sue"
1977 Royale
Rear Bath
403 Engine
American Eagle Wheels
Early Version Alex Sirum Quad bags

Ken Henderson

Sep 25, 2021, 8:37:33 PM9/25/21
to GMC Mail List
Greg,

I don't have any records to compare with your results, but after 23 years
of GMCing, I'd rate those temperatures "Great". They sound about like what
I'd expect on my heavy 23'.

Now, tell us about the rally: How many coaches, etc.? We'd sure have
liked to be there with Y'All, but just a little early for us to get out
yet: SHE's still "skittish". I hadn't planned to make it because of a
family reunion conflict. After that got cancelled at the last minute,
I just couldn't do it.

Ken H.

On Sat, Sep 25, 2021 at 8:14 PM Greg Crawford <captgreg...@gmail.com>

James Hupy

Sep 25, 2021, 9:12:24 PM9/25/21
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
I usually shoot through the holes in the Alcoas onto the hubs or rotors. I
find the temps higher there than on the aluminum wheels. But your temps
sound great to me.
Jim Hupy
Salem Oregon

Emery Stora via Gmclist

Sep 25, 2021, 9:37:53 PM9/25/21
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Emery Stora
Temps look very good to me. Not hot at all.

Emery Stora

> On Sep 25, 2021, at 9:12 PM, James Hupy <james...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I usually shoot through the holes in the Alcoas onto the hubs or rotors. I

Greg Crawford

Sep 25, 2021, 10:20:31 PM9/25/21
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Thanks, everyone. There were seven coaches at the rally counting mine. There were folks there from Florida, Georgia, and Tennessee. We left a day
early because of prior commitments, but today they carpooled to the Apple Festival and car show. Breakfast and dinner every day and fried pies in the
campfire at night. I think everyone had and is having a good time. The campground is very nice, and the group had the use of the clubhouse.

Ken Henderson

Sep 25, 2021, 10:27:21 PM9/25/21
to GMC Mail List
Thanks for the update, Greg. Next time!

Ken H.

On Sat, Sep 25, 2021 at 10:20 PM Greg Crawford <captgreg...@gmail.com>

Matt Colie

Sep 26, 2021, 11:33:12 AM9/26/21
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Greg,

You can trust me on this....
Your numbers look great. When things are not right, there will be one (or more) that will be a distinct flyer.
The sunny side to the cold side can be 20~25° easily, but a dragging brake will get you an unexplained 40~50°.

Matt
--
Matt & Mary Colie - Chaumière -'73 Glacier 23 - Members GMCMI, GMCGL, GMCES
Electronically Controlled Quiet Engine Cooling Fan with OE Rear Drum Brakes with Applied Control Arms

Terry via Gmclist

Sep 29, 2021, 5:37:47 PM9/29/21
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Terry
My steel wheels measure 100 degrees (with IR pyrometer)after 20 minutes of runtime after leaving the house (after a no-brake stop) and they haven't
been increasing after that, so I just keep fingers crossed and top that antijinx with almost everything to replace the bearings on roadside.
--
Terry Kelpien

ASE Master Technician

Smithfield, Va.

Jim Kanomata

Sep 29, 2021, 6:21:30 PM9/29/21
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
If your using the brakes, it will read higher.

On Wed, Sep 29, 2021 at 2:37 PM Terry via Gmclist <gmc...@list.gmcnet.org>
wrote:
--
Jim Kanomata ASE
Applied/GMC, Newark,CA

Richard

Oct 11, 2021, 11:30:53 AM10/11/21
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
James Hupy wrote on Sat, 25 September 2021 21:12
> I usually shoot through the holes in the Alcoas onto the hubs or rotors. I find the temps higher there than on the aluminum wheels. But your temps
> sound great to me.

That's also how I check the temperature. The closer you can get to the actual bearings, instead of a massive highly conductive heat sink, the
better.

Richard
--
'77 Birchaven TZE...777;