[GMCnet] 1973 23' CanyonLands Parts Unit Looking For New Home

A.

Apr 9, 2017, 1:44:38 PM4/9/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
It has never actually been in the process of being parted out (although the fridge and propane tank were gone when I bought it), but with a rusted
frame and other issues, only a loving and motivated owner would be willing to put it back in service. I do not have the heart, or the inclination (or
a place to do the dismantling) so I am offering it to anyone that wants it.

I will not pay anything to have it hauled off, but will help get it running well enough to drive away if that is the method chosen to remove it.

To sweeten the deal, it has two Zip Dee awnings (condition of fabric unknown) and a screen door. The awning on the driver's side shades the windows on
that side, not counting the cockpit window. The awning on the passenger side forms a "porch" over everything aft of the cockpit window. I don't know
if the screen door is a Birch or other.

The cockpit captains seats (and pedestals) are not OEM, but might be more comfortable than OEM.

If interested, post same, and any questions.
--
73 23' Sequoia 4 Sale
73 23' CanyonLands Parts Unit 4 Sale

Johnny Bridges via Gmclist

Apr 11, 2017, 6:45:07 PM4/11/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Johnny Bridges
Mark -

PM me a phone number

--johnny
--
76 26' Eleganza(?) with beaucoup mods and add - ons.
Braselton, Ga.

A.

A.

Apr 12, 2017, 12:30:09 PM4/12/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
BamaGMCFan wrote on Wed, 12 April 2017 10:59
> What is the asking price?
Free to good home. I will help load it onto a trailer, or "help" tinker with it to get it running on an external tank. The mechanical fuel pump is
dead, and you don't want to even think about running it off the gas in the tanks.

Bring your own battery, tank, electric fuel pump, gas line and hose clamps.

It has a trailer hitch, but not the good "through the bumper" type.

Jeremy

Apr 12, 2017, 12:40:43 PM4/12/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Geez Mark. Should have pressed harder when I gave you the Onan. Could have gotten some zip-dees out of it. Just kidding. I still appreciate the help
getting that boat anchor out of my coach.
--
Thanks,
Jeremy Knezek

A.

Apr 12, 2017, 1:28:02 PM4/12/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
BamaGMCFan wrote on Wed, 12 April 2017 12:12
> Do you think it would make the drive to Etowah County or need to be trailered?
Seems to me if the brakes work and it shifts through all gears, it would make it. I started it and let it idle in the driveway about 5 years ago, and
it was quiet and smooth. But didn't put it in gear or anything.

It is 40 miles west of Cullman. How far from there to your place? Could drag it 6 down the last 50 miles of you have to.

Get the parts unit in Altoona with the good frame and use the two to cobble up one good GMC for use.
--
73 23' Sequoia 4 Sale
73 23' CanyonLands Parts Unit 4 Sale
Upper Alabama
"When I grow up I am going to be a curmudgeon."

A.

Apr 12, 2017, 3:05:27 PM4/12/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
BamaGMCFan wrote on Wed, 12 April 2017 12:38
> What parts unit in Altoona is there? Altoona is about 20 minutes from my house.
Started getting dismantled in 2012. Its at 1191 Thrasher Rd, Altoona, AL
Property belongs to Wade Hearn, but I believe the GMC belongs to Devin Wells in TN. Not sure.
It has been picked pretty clean, but it is close enough that you can drive by.

Wade's email is dodgewade at yahoo dot com

cell was 2five6.four7seven.0six0nine

A.

Apr 12, 2017, 3:12:26 PM4/12/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
BamaGMCFan wrote on Wed, 12 April 2017 12:23
> I guess I should also ask how bad the frame is and what are the other issues with the coach?
Frame is more or less rust flakes where it sat on the ground behind the bogies before I got it.

The roof fridge vent cover had been gone for some time when I got it. I never bothered to poke around the floor and cabinetry to see how rotten it is.
I put a new cover on the roof as soon as I got it.

There was gas in the oil from a bad fuel pump. May or may not have run like that long enough to damage stuff. I drained and refilled it with gas-free
oil.

Maybe the cabinetry and floor are not rotten. Maybe the engine is sound. But the frame is gone.

A.

Apr 12, 2017, 4:31:13 PM4/12/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Interest in this GMC needs to pick up. I have already incentivized it with the Zip Dee awnings. It is substantially complete with the other goodies
that can't be acquired from any source but a parts unit. So I will add another incentive.

If it is still sitting in my driveway on 1 June, it leaves on the hook to a salvage yard.

Same goes for the Sequoia.

Help me keep that from happening.

Jeremy

Apr 12, 2017, 4:53:33 PM4/12/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
A Hamilto wrote on Wed, 12 April 2017 16:30
> Interest in this GMC needs to pick up. I have already incentivized it with the Zip Dee awnings. It is substantially complete with the other
> goodies that can't be acquired from any source but a parts unit. So I will add another incentive.
>
> If it is still sitting in my driveway on 1 June, it leaves on the hook to a salvage yard.
>
> Same goes for the Sequoia.
>
> Help me keep that from happening.

I have nowhere to put it. But I'll pay you something for the zipdee parts if no one else comes to take the whole thing. Might pay for part of getting
it dragged away.
--
Thanks,
Jeremy Knezek

Johnny Bridges via Gmclist

Apr 12, 2017, 4:54:02 PM4/12/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Johnny Bridges
four0four-seven twentyfive-fiveone60

--johnny

--
76 26' Eleganza(?) with beaucoup mods and add - ons.
Braselton, Ga.
"I forgive them all, save those who hurt the dogs. They must answer to me in hell" - ol Andy, paraphrased

A.

Apr 12, 2017, 5:25:29 PM4/12/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Johnny Bridges wrote on Wed, 12 April 2017 15:53
> four0four-seven twentyfive-fiveone60
> --johnny
I'm home most of every day, and awake enough to talk on the phone 10 am to midnight. Was beginning to think you lost interest.
--
73 23' Sequoia 4 Sale
73 23' CanyonLands Parts Unit 4 Sale
Upper Alabama
"When I grow up I am going to be a curmudgeon."

A.

Jun 3, 2017, 2:27:35 PM6/3/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
The CanyonLands got a brief reprieve while I took the Sequoia to Ken Frey last week, but now it needs to be gone from the driveway.

First one to make it disappear by Friday, June 9th gets it. Tow truck, trailer, outboard motor tank and electric fuel pump, makes no difference to me
how you do it.

If it is still in the driveway on June 10th, it goes to the local salvage yard on June 12th.
--
73 23' CanyonLands Parts Unit 4 Sale
Upper Alabama
"Every day I become more convinced that I am the only person left on the planet that recognizes nonsense for what it is."

A.

Jun 3, 2017, 3:02:16 PM6/3/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Johnny Bridges wrote on Wed, 12 April 2017 15:53
> four0four-seven twentyfive-fiveone60
> --johnny

Johnny,

Did you ever try to call?

Your number doesn't show up in my call records.
--
73 23' CanyonLands Parts Unit 4 Sale
Upper Alabama
"Every day I become more convinced that I am the only person left on the planet that recognizes nonsense for what it is."

Ken Henderson

Jun 3, 2017, 7:34:27 PM6/3/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Someone needs to jump on this to keep the unobtainium GMC parts from
disappearing. Besides being OLD & no longer into getting more GMC's, I'm
getting a roto-rooter job done Monday so I can't help directly.

But I do have a jerry can with attached electric pump if that will help
anyone, and could temporarily lend my Alcoas & tires or anything else
needed.

(229)nine thirty-eight 27 ninety-seven

Ken H.
Americus, GA
'76 X-Birchaven w/Cad500/Howell EFI & EBL,
Manny Brakes & 1-Ton, etc., etc., etc.
www.gmcwipersetc.com

gene Fisher

Jun 3, 2017, 8:32:00 PM6/3/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Good luck with the Meds
😀

--
Gene Fisher -- 74-23,77PB/ore/ca
“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today --- give him a URL and

A.

Jun 3, 2017, 9:02:52 PM6/3/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Ken Henderson wrote on Sat, 03 June 2017 18:32
> Someone needs to jump on this to keep the unobtainium GMC parts from disappearing. Besides being OLD & no longer into getting more GMC's, I'm
> getting a roto-rooter job done Monday so I can't help directly.
>
> But I do have a jerry can with attached electric pump if that will help anyone, and could temporarily lend my Alcoas & tires or anything else
> needed.
>
> (229)nine thirty-eight 27 ninety-seven
>
> Ken H.
> Americus, GA
> '76 X-Birchaven w/Cad500/Howell EFI & EBL,
> Manny Brakes & 1-Ton, etc., etc., etc.
> www.gmcwipersetc.com

Johnny Bridges might be interested. He said he was going to call me, but if he did, I missed it. Call him.

The tires that are on it came off the Sequoia, which was purportedly stored inside all its life. If I was going to move it myself, I wouldn't worry
about the tires. But if the buyer wants to change them out, I have a 5-ton floor jack. I don't have an impact wrench or air compressor, so if you
don't want to spin the lugnuts manually, you gotta bring your own air tools and compressor. Or an electric impact wrench.

A.

Jun 4, 2017, 2:10:18 PM6/4/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Ken Henderson wrote on Sat, 03 June 2017 18:32
> Someone needs to jump on this to keep the unobtainium GMC parts from disappearing. Besides being OLD & no longer into getting more GMC's, I'm
> getting a roto-rooter job done Monday so I can't help directly.
>
> But I do have a jerry can with attached electric pump if that will help anyone, and could temporarily lend my Alcoas & tires or anything else
> needed.
>
> (229)nine thirty-eight 27 ninety-seven
>
> Ken H.
> Americus, GA

Mr. Henderson, Sir,

It took a minute for me to pull my cephalic node from my ventral orifice and realize I need an ally in this effort.

If YOU tell me that YOU, or your designee(s), will remove it from my driveway this Summer, I will hold off disposing of it until you are recovered. I
would like it gone now, but if I know it is going to the right person(s) for the right reason, I want to do the right thing.

The offer to hang on to it is limited to folks here that I believe are reliable and have the wherewithal to do the job. But you have to speak up.

Johnny Bridges via Gmclist

Jun 4, 2017, 6:57:59 PM6/4/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Johnny Bridges
Sorry, I've beenon the run. I currently have too many projects to take on another, particularly one this involved. Willing to help someine if needed
though.

--johnny
--
76 26' Eleganza(?) with beaucoup mods and add - ons.
Braselton, Ga.
"I forgive them all, save those who hurt the dogs. They must answer to me in hell" - ol Andy, paraphrased

A.

Jun 12, 2017, 7:57:18 PM6/12/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Last update to this thread.

The 1973 23' CanyonLands is now located at:

Hearn's Auto Salvage
655 Arley Bypass
Arley, AL 35541

(205) 387-7281

If somebody wants it, or parts off if it, it won't be much different than if it was in my driveway, except Gene Hearn will want dollars for stuff.

Sorry it had to be that way.