[GMCnet] King Jack antenna power injector without switch?

RC Jordan

Dec 26, 2015, 9:22:48 AM12/26/15
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
At the rallies, rv forums, and review sites the King Jack antenna seems to be the way to go for good OTA reception. I bought one of the units with
the pedestal and I want to play with portable-mount options using a 50' coax cable rather than poke yet another hole in the roof. The included
wall-mount switch is not the way I want to wire it, but it has the power injector built in. What separate power injector would be the best to put
inline? 120v plug-in would probably be the most convenient for my setup.
--
77 Royale Coachmen Side Dry Bath
76 Birchaven Coachmen Side Wet Bath

Johnny Bridges

Dec 26, 2015, 9:34:28 AM12/26/15
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org

RC Jordan

Dec 26, 2015, 10:04:57 AM12/26/15
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
>you didn't get everything you wanted at Skycraft!

That's because I don't know jack about electronics, Johnny.

Really, I'm making a list of things I saw there on the last trip and **SHOULD HAVE** purchased. I'm headed back soon enough.

These 12v injectors are sorta scarce on the internet.

Ken Burton

Dec 26, 2015, 1:54:14 PM12/26/15
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Speaking of Skycraft, What is this stuff?

http://www.skycraftsurplus.com/magneticsheetflexiblerareearthmagnet.aspx

http://www.skycraftsurplus.com/41586magnetsheetroll.aspx

It looks like gluing pieces of this on top a GMC might make a good mag mount surface of WiFi and cell phone antennae. It might even hold a 2 meter or
440 mag mount that could be used while moving.

I wonder if it would also make a good ground plane for plastic areas of the coach..
--
Ken Burton - N9KB
76 Palm Beach

Johnny Bridges

Dec 26, 2015, 2:36:51 PM12/26/15
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
RC, the injector is dead easy to make. shouldn't cost 5 bux at Skycraft. Get two panel mount F connectors, an RF choke with big enough wire to
handle maybe half an amp, a silver mica cap about .01uF, and a minibox with ends just big enough to mount the connectors, and a 12V 500mA wallwart.
Or put a power connector on the box and feed it with fused 12V from your coach. get the box small enough for the inside of the two connectors to be
close. Solder the cap between the center conductors. Solder the RF choke to the center of the antenna end connector (Mark it ANTENNA, mark the other
connector RECEIVER)), and feed the +12V to the other end of the choke. Ground both connectors with a piece of bus bar and put the minus of the 12V to
the bus bar. The choke feeds the 12v but blocks the RF so the antenna rf isn't shorted by the internal impedance of the 12V - which is quite low.
The cap passes the RF to the receiver, but blocks the 12v from getting to it. If everything is tight and close inside, this will pass RF up to about
blue light.
And before you go to this trouble, look closely at the options on your receiver - some have a switchable 12V feed listed in the setup which will do it
for you.

--johnny

--
'76 23' transmode Norris upfit
Braselton, Ga.

"Sometimes I wonder what tomorrow's gonna bring when I think about my dirty life and times" --Warren Zevon