[GMCnet] How much "weight" will the rain gutters Hold

1275g...@gmail.com

Jan 16, 2012, 12:18:15 PM1/16/12
to gmc...@temp.gmcnet.org

OK so I Have never been one to conform. so I want something different for an awning (the GMC is not just another box camper either) So after countless hours online and a few discussion here and on other RV sites I have come up with the Shade Sail. http://www.amazon.com/Idirectmart-Square-Shade-Sail-Inches/dp/B00548UBMU/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1326733765&sr=8-9.

Now not with this seller but from other sites I have found that there is about 70lbs, at least, of torque placed between the connections points of the sail. Having not seen this in person yet not sure if the tension is transferred to the "wall" or not. the mounting hardware that the other sites offer is rather heavy duty. with 1 inch eye-bolts and turnbuckles.

If there is a concern I could build a frame that the shade would be stretched onto kind of like a painting frame. I would prefer to keep it as simple (and cheap) as possible.
--
Adam Raeburn
Rothesay, NB

Bob de Kruyff

Jan 16, 2012, 12:39:34 PM1/16/12
to gmc...@temp.gmcnet.org

1275gtsport wrote on Mon, 16 January 2012 10:18
> OK so I Have never been one to conform. so I want something different for an awning (the GMC is not just another box camper either) So after countless hours online and a few discussion here and on other RV sites I have come up with the Shade Sail. link.

> Now not with this seller but from other sites I have found that there is about 70lbs, at least, of torque placed between the connections points of the sail. Having not seen this in person yet not sure if the tension is transferred to the "wall" or not. the mounting hardware that the other sites offer is rather heavy duty. with 1 inch eye-bolts and turnbuckles.
>
> If there is a concern I could build a frame that the shade would be stretched onto kind of like a painting frame. I would prefer to keep it as simple (and cheap) as possible.
>

> And I bought 2 of these, the thought being that I could overlap and have a 22x11 awning/shaded area.

Looks like an interesting approach. The rain gutters on the GMC are pretty substantial and mounted in an area with good structure. The 70 pounds wouldn't worry me at all, but I'm not sure what a decent wind gust may do. Are you thinking of attaching just to the gutters or the structure below them as well?

--
Bob de Kruyff
78 Eleganza

George Rudawsky

Jan 16, 2012, 12:52:49 PM1/16/12
to gmc...@temp.gmcnet.org

The PO of my coach had attached something similar to the rain gutters by drilling a bunch of holes along the gutter to attach a tarp like shade. There was no problem with the gutter holding the shade uyp, but the holes do not allow the gutter to work properly.

I have been sealing the holes, and hope to someday remove the entire gutter to properly seal the holes permenantly. The underlying structure could certainly take the loads that you are contemplating, but think twice about where you drill the holes. I think that fewer holes in the roof area translates to fewer spots to have to look for leaks in the future.
--
George Rudawsky
Chicago, IL

Daniel Jarvis

Jan 16, 2012, 12:58:44 PM1/16/12
to gmc...@temp.gmcnet.org
I have one of these sails over my patio and they will hold A LOT! The
70lbs stated is probably for an unburdened sail but enough to keep it in
tension. I am sure I have exceeded many times that at the corners (Rain
deluge, 12" set snow). If I had this on an RV, I would ensure that it
was angled for quick runoff. JMO...

Dan in NC
Caregiver to a 1976 Eleganza II
"Tzetze Fly"

On 1/16/2012 12:18 PM, 1275g...@gmail.com wrote:

> OK so I Have never been one to conform. so I want something different for an awning (the GMC is not just another box camper either) So after countless hours online and a few discussion here and on other RV sites I have come up with the Shade Sail. http://www.amazon.com/Idirectmart-Square-Shade-Sail-Inches/dp/B00548UBMU/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1326733765&sr=8-9.
>
> Now not with this seller but from other sites I have found that there is about 70lbs, at least, of torque placed between the connections points of the sail. Having not seen this in person yet not sure if the tension is transferred to the "wall" or not. the mounting hardware that the other sites offer is rather heavy duty. with 1 inch eye-bolts and turnbuckles.
>
> If there is a concern I could build a frame that the shade would be stretched onto kind of like a painting frame. I would prefer to keep it as simple (and cheap) as possible.

sgl...@gmail.com

Jan 16, 2012, 1:06:33 PM1/16/12
to gmc...@temp.gmcnet.org
George, I would proceed with caution regarding removal of the drip rail. When I removed mine most of the screws were frozen to the extrusion under the drip rail. I had all kinds of fun(not) removing the broken stubs. I changed my plan and left the other side on for painting. If holes in the drip rail are the only issue, maybe mask off the holes from the convex side and scuff/fill the gutter side with sealant??

Sully
77 royale

Bruce Hislop

Jan 16, 2012, 1:09:47 PM1/16/12
to gmc...@temp.gmcnet.org

Adam,

Canadian Tire had these, might be worth checking your local store to see what they are like.

I was looking at them for use over our deck. I ended up building a pergola instead. I will say the material was much lighter than our Zip-Dee awning.

--
Bruce Hislop
ON Canada

1275g...@gmail.com

Jan 16, 2012, 2:04:09 PM1/16/12
to gmc...@temp.gmcnet.org

the plan to attach to the gutter is much like the old style roof rack with a pinch type clamp. I have in mind a spike sticking up that the grommet would slip over. then tension away from the rig to 2 or 3 poles. (3 because there is 2 shades)

Over on the VW van site the guys have basically built a 2 legged dinning shelter that attaches to the rain gutter on the VW.

I do not want ANY holes in the GMC.

I did not know CTC had these and here I am searching the world over and I can see a Canadian tire from my driveway. :)

George Rudawsky

Jan 16, 2012, 6:13:02 PM1/16/12
to gmc...@temp.gmcnet.org

I have been working at removing the screws using plenty of time, patience, and Kroil. The gutters had a bunch of silicone added between them and the roof in the previous owner's attempts at stoping leaks.

I do have most of the screws loosened,and am waiting for nicer weather to proceed further. A bit of butyl caulk is keeping the screws leakproof during the winter.

Larry C

Jan 22, 2012, 5:23:27 AM1/22/12
to gmc...@temp.gmcnet.org

Hi
I have a similar cover over the patio in the back yard, well not now, its Winter, but I did have it up over Winter at one time.

The cover itself is not all that much, 15-20lbs. But when you put up the poles and line to hold it taught, the force gets up there.

I have done a couple of things with the GMC to fight the heat, this is a good idea that you are studying.

My cover attached with line to a couple of eye bolts in the house. As I recall, the screws on the gutter are 3/16". You may have to get a longer bolt but why couldn't you attach a loop on either end, metal with a hole to tie or hook to, to a couple of the screws. You can put it up with a short pole, hook to the loop on both sides. The front hook would be attached to the hook that goes into the front loop. The rear hook would act like a pulley, the line from the back of the tarp goes through the hook loop and has a knot on the end which you use a nice bungie to pull tight and hooks to the bottom frame of the GMC. , all this can be done from the ground.

The poles and line attachments would be like with a tent or canopy, old school.

BTW, Harbor freight sells a black mesh tarp that might do the job as well. Yes its black but it cuts the sun down. I was given this idea from Dave Greenburg ( thank you very much ).

Of course this may have to be refined but it does not seem impossible but very doable.

Just another option.

My thoughts.
--
Gatsbys' CRUISER :d 08-18-04
74 GLACIER X, 260/455-APC-4 Bagg'r

CampGrounds needed, Add yours to "PLACES" />
http://www.gmceast.com/travel

_