[GMCnet] flooring, glue down or floating?

1 view

kelly stockwell

Jul 22, 2016, 7:47:35 AM7/22/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
In august I want to rip out the carpet and put in cork.

Which is preferred, floating or glue down?

Do people install lengthwise or widthwise. Lengthwise might make me feel like I'm in a hallway. I'm also looking at the larger cork "tiles" so it
wouldn't matter as much.

And as I understand it the process is:
rip out the nasty smelly carpet and cushion (this will be the most fun and rewarding)
lay down plastic and sub flooring (how thick plywood?) make sure it's level/smooth (this will make me swear and wonder why I ripped out the carpet)
put down flooring (I'll go through 2x the amount of flooring I thought I needed)

i have a couch and two swivel chairs. I think I'll go up to the couch and around the swivel chairs (I don't think I need to remove them.
I may go up the stairs, I'm not sure how angry/frustrated I'll get. I have a permanent bed in the back with carpet up the walls around the cut out,
do I cork those walls?

thanks, sorry it's not a electrical/mechanical/plumbing question.

-kelly
--
1978 Kingsley
Putney VT

Keith V

Jul 22, 2016, 9:26:12 AM7/22/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
I like to do things such that they can be maintained. When I redid my interior walls I used all exposed fasteners, I can pull
the wall off in 1/2 an hour and put it back in with no damage.
I have wood flooring in my coach, it's all glued in. Very hard to fix. I have some water damage, the boards are curled, not looking forward to fixing that.
But wood floors are very nice, worth the effort IMHO

Steve Adams

Jul 22, 2016, 9:54:47 AM7/22/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
I don't know about cork specifically, but my opinion would generally be to float flooring, particularly laminate and wood.
--
1978 GMC Royal
Eastern Pennslyvania

Bob Dunahugh

Jul 23, 2016, 1:51:18 AM7/23/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
I put down a foam backed carpet with rattle trap sound deadening under that carpet over the engine area. On the trip to Branson. I was very pleased with the sound reduction. Next I'm installing a floating wood laminate looking vinyl planking. With this product. Water, and spills will have no affect on the flooring. As that was a problem in the burned GMC.

Bob Dunahugh

Justin Brady

Jul 23, 2016, 2:33:44 PM7/23/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Floating is almost always better for floors.
The glue is no match for mother nature and eventually will create a problem. When everything wants to move with humidity changes but it's all glued
down it isn't going to react in a nice way.
just my opinion
--
Justin Brady
http://www.thegmcrv.com/

Dan Borlase

Jul 23, 2016, 2:48:52 PM7/23/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
I put in cork "click" flooring length ways. Your sub floor does not need additional material on top of it, so the procedure in simple.
Strip out your couch and anything else that might be in the way.
Lay down the (same as you would in a home application) plastic sound deadener recommended by your cork flooring retailer, applying just enough staples
to hold things in place, then measure, cut and install the flooring product as you see fit. DO NOT GLUE ! Apply whatever trim you want which will
hold the product where you have put it.
Ours have been in place for nine(9) years with no major issues. Warm on the feet and very ease to sweep out and wash!!

Peer Oliver Schmidt GMC

Jul 23, 2016, 6:33:27 PM7/23/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Hello,

is there a reason, why one first needs to rip out the old soft material
that GMC put under the carpet, before adding some new soft material to
put any kind of new flooring on?

--
Best regards

Peer Oliver Schmidt
PGP Key ID: 0x83E1C2EA

'76a Eleganza II, VA

Ken Henderson

Jul 23, 2016, 6:51:03 PM7/23/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Odor, vermin, dirt, un-eveness, general principles...

Ken H.

On Sat, Jul 23, 2016 at 6:32 PM, Peer Oliver Schmidt GMC <
po...@theinternet.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> is there a reason, why one first needs to rip out the old soft material
> that GMC put under the carpet, before adding some new soft material to
> put any kind of new flooring on?

James Hupy

Jul 23, 2016, 7:12:45 PM7/23/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
On my Royale, the only thing under that red/orange shaggy carpet was dirt
and mouse droppings on top of the 1 inch thick plywood. No underlayment or
pads anywhere. Coachman did that. Maybe GMC did it differently.
Jim Hupy

Johnny Bridges via Gmclist

Jul 23, 2016, 8:00:22 PM7/23/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Johnny Bridges
Just from walking on them, my GMC finished has something or other under the carpet, while the Norris upfit - or the Sirum replacement, I'm not sure
which - doesn't have it.

--johnny
--
'76 23' transmode Norris upfit, 76 26' Eleganza(?) with beaucoup mods and add - ons.
Braselton, Ga.

"Sometimes I wonder what tomorrow's gonna bring when I think about my dirty life and times" --Warren Zevon

Peer Oliver Schmidt GMC

Jul 23, 2016, 9:11:23 PM7/23/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Ken
> Odor, vermin, dirt, un-eveness, general principles...

This orange looking stuff between carpet and wood doesn't smell (or I
can't smell) bad. General principle would need more explanantion,
un-eveness I could understand as a main issue. Would that cause issues
with laminate or something like that?

--
Best regards

Peer Oliver Schmidt
PGP Key ID: 0x83E1C2EA

'76a Eleganza II, VA

Billy Massey

Jul 23, 2016, 10:02:11 PM7/23/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Carpet padding is too thick for laminate. It's also very inexpensive in
case you put down more carpet. You'll be very surprised when you take it
up how much dirt it holds.

bdub

On Sat, Jul 23, 2016 at 8:10 PM, Peer Oliver Schmidt GMC wrote:

> Ken
> > Odor, vermin, dirt, un-eveness, general principles...
> >
> This orange looking stuff between carpet and wood doesn't smell (or I
> can't smell) bad. General principle would need more explanantion,
> un-eveness I could understand as a main issue. Would that cause issues
> with laminate or something like that?

kelly stockwell

Jul 24, 2016, 8:32:47 AM7/24/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Thanks! any photos? Did you use the 36"x12" planks or thin planks and what kind and how many sq feet did you get?

and finally, I was considering leaving the couch. It's already a replacement item, just a frame. I thought you didn't want to put heavy things over
the cork so I figured I'd go up to the wood couch wall and end it, but I can pull the one board and go under and reinstall over it (would it dent? do
I care?)

cheers
kelly

Dan Borlase wrote on Sat, 23 July 2016 14:47
> I put in cork "click" flooring length ways. Your sub floor does not need additional material on top of it, so the procedure in simple.
> Strip out your couch and anything else that might be in the way.
> Lay down the (same as you would in a home application) plastic sound deadener recommended by your cork flooring retailer, applying just enough
> staples to hold things in place, then measure, cut and install the flooring product as you see fit. DO NOT GLUE ! Apply whatever trim you want
> which will hold the product where you have put it.
> Ours have been in place for nine(9) years with no major issues. Warm on the feet and very ease to sweep out and wash!!

--
1978 Kingsley
Putney VT

Peer Oliver Schmidt GMC

Jul 24, 2016, 8:58:04 AM7/24/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Billy,
> Carpet padding is too thick for laminate.

that was the information I was after. So it will go out. Now SWMBO just
has to decide on the new look of the floor that she wants.

Thanks a bunch.

--
Best regards

Peer Oliver Schmidt
PGP Key ID: 0x83E1C2EA

'76a Eleganza II, VA

Dan Borlase

Jul 24, 2016, 1:55:18 PM7/24/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Kelly, I used 5" X 4' planks, ease to handle. The reason for clearing things from the coach is that I wanted a complete floor covering...improved
sound barrier and insulation. This is a very ease upgrade (in my opinion) and you will not regret your effort.
Sorry, I still don't know how to do the photo thing.

kelly stockwell

Jul 24, 2016, 1:59:34 PM7/24/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
lol, you can email me at snowsto at gmail dot com

thanks for the suggestion. taking out the couch wouldn't be hard and sounds like it will be worth it

kelly
--
1978 Kingsley
Putney VT

kelly stockwell

Aug 15, 2016, 8:47:17 AM8/15/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Dan,

Did you alter the P-trap for the shower? It protrudes into the hallway a bit and makes it miss
Flat to 3/16" per 10-foot radius"

It's lumpy over the P-trap

Flooring is of course on back order, it arrives the end of the month
http://www.usfloorsllc.com/product-category/natural-cork-4/cork-deco/#/flooring-products/cubis-natural

kelly

Dan Borlase wrote on Sat, 23 July 2016 14:47
> I put in cork "click" flooring length ways. Your sub floor does not need additional material on top of it, so the procedure in simple.
> Strip out your couch and anything else that might be in the way.
> Lay down the (same as you would in a home application) plastic sound deadener recommended by your cork flooring retailer, applying just enough
> staples to hold things in place, then measure, cut and install the flooring product as you see fit. DO NOT GLUE ! Apply whatever trim you want
> which will hold the product where you have put it.
> Ours have been in place for nine(9) years with no major issues. Warm on the feet and very ease to sweep out and wash!!

--
1978 Kingsley
Putney VT

Thomas Phipps

Aug 15, 2016, 10:14:46 AM8/15/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
While you have the bare plywood exposed, consider applying a coat of 'Kiltz' or equivalent. I have done this on every laminate floor that I have
installed (around 10 rooms worth). Blocks water and accumulated orders that have soaked into the subfloor over the years.
Post photos please, this is on my 'nice to do list.'
Tom, MS II
--
1975 GMC Avion
KA4CSG

kelly stockwell

Aug 15, 2016, 10:26:46 AM8/15/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Will do, I have an extra weekend before the flooring arrives and need something to keep myself busy.
Spent last weekend measuring for new cabinet faces, and now maybe a new cabinet front...

kelly

tphipps wrote on Mon, 15 August 2016 10:13

--
1978 Kingsley
Putney VT

Wally Anderson

Aug 15, 2016, 12:08:51 PM8/15/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
To cover where the shower trap well extends in the hallway I made an aluminium cover out of embossed sheet. Hammered over a suitable round form to
roll a lip. Filed the lip to the proper depth and drilled holes to match existing mounting. Most of the time there is a throw rug over it. This is
our third floor and is now just slap and stick vinyl.
http://www.gmcmhphotos.com/photos/power-level-valve-fitting/p61125-trap-cover.html
Not as good as Kerry Pinkerton's aluminium metal work but I'm happy with it
kstockwell wrote on Mon, 15 August 2016 07:46
> Dan,
>
> Did you alter the P-trap for the shower? It protrudes into the hallway a bit and makes it miss
> Flat to 3/16" per 10-foot radius"
>
> It's lumpy over the P-trap
>
> Flooring is of course on back order, it arrives the end of the month
> http://www.usfloorsllc.com/product-category/natural-cork-4/cork-deco/#/flooring-products/cubis-natural
>
> kelly
> .
>

> Dan Borlase wrote on Sat, 23 July 2016 14:47
> > I put in cork "click" flooring length ways. Your sub floor does not need additional material on top of it, so the procedure in simple.
> > Strip out your couch and anything else that might be in the way.
> > Lay down the (same as you would in a home application) plastic sound deadener recommended by your cork flooring retailer, applying just enough
> > staples to hold things in place, then measure, cut and install the flooring product as you see fit. DO NOT GLUE ! Apply whatever trim you want
> > which will hold the product where you have put it.
> > Ours have been in place for nine(9) years with no major issues. Warm on the feet and very ease to sweep out and wash!!

--
Wally Anderson
1975 Glenbrook
Megasquirt 455 port injection science project
Omaha Nebraska
Bob Stone hydroBOOOOST
Greater Midwest Classics
GMCES
http://wallyandsue.blogspot.com/

Dan Borlase

Aug 15, 2016, 12:13:02 PM8/15/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Kelly, I seem to remember cutting away the underlay around the P trap. The underlay elevated the planking enough so that the planking is at the
correct height.

I also recommend painting the sub straight with Killz. A good product that will greatly suppress bacteria, preserving the wood and killing any
potential odour at the floor level.

kelly stockwell

Aug 15, 2016, 2:53:27 PM8/15/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
I saw a few examples of people cutting/covering the Ptrap (like Wally). I've already been in there mangling it with my second shower drain project.

I paint with Killz (let it dry) and then put the plastic over that?

kelly

Dan Borlase wrote on Mon, 15 August 2016 12:12
> Kelly, I seem to remember cutting away the underlay around the P trap. The underlay elevated the planking enough so that the planking is at the
> correct height.
>
> I also recommend painting the sub straight with Killz. A good product that will greatly suppress bacteria, preserving the wood and killing any
> potential odour at the floor level.

--
1978 Kingsley
Putney VT

Thomas Phipps

Aug 15, 2016, 5:05:08 PM8/15/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Let the Kiltz set overnight so the top surface sets. Use the oil based stuff, it has a tougher surface. Just use cheap roller and brushes - throw
them away when done. Dollar store stuff.
Tom, MS II
--
1975 GMC Avion
KA4CSG

kelly stockwell

Aug 15, 2016, 6:38:07 PM8/15/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
I hemmed and hawed, and go the oil. Glad I got the right stuff!

Will the Kiltz help as a primer get paint to stick to the vinyl walls too (over the particle board?)
I'll rip up carpet and paint this weekend

kelly

tphipps wrote on Mon, 15 August 2016 17:04

--
1978 Kingsley
Putney VT

kelly stockwell

Aug 17, 2016, 4:57:24 PM8/17/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
I still put plastic sheeting down per flooring instructions (over the Kilz) right?

kelly

Thomas Phipps

Aug 17, 2016, 7:32:13 PM8/17/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Kiltz is an excellent primer. The surface bonds well with glue, better than bare wood surface.
Yes, you still need to put the underlayment down. It provides a smooth surface for the floor to "float" on.
Tom, MS II
--
1975 GMC Avion
KA4CSG

Len Novak

Aug 17, 2016, 9:33:15 PM8/17/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Float over an underlayment they use between
condo's......................very quiet

Len and Pat Novak
1978 GMC Kingsley
The Beast II with dash lights that work and labels you can see!
Fallbrook, CA new email: B52...@Roadrunner.Com
http://www.gmcmhphotos.com/photos/showgallery.php?cat=4375

www.bdub.net/novak/
-----