[GMCnet] Irma

Larry Davick

Sep 8, 2017, 1:46:06 AM9/8/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
It seems to me that a GMC is a great escape vehicle. I hope that all the Floridian GMC'ers (well all Floridians) in the path of that monster Irma -
and maybe Juan - stay safe or get out of town. And here's hoping for Onan miracles so that people can have some power to keep the fridge cold. That
storm scares the bejeezez out me.
--
Larry Davick
A Mystery Machine

Richard Denney

Sep 8, 2017, 8:26:58 AM9/8/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Expect stop and go and fill up in preparation for that.

Yesterday, I drove from Macon to Atlanta, and I-75 was hammered much of the
way. Florida plates outnumbered everyone else 15 to 1.

Rick "heading to the airport" Denney
--
Rick Denney
73 x-Glacier 230 "Jaws"

Johnny Bridges via Gmclist

Sep 8, 2017, 9:37:03 AM9/8/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Johnny Bridges
The move is motor over to US 19 north if you're coming to Atlanta, US 441 North if you're headed North of Atlanta. I 75 and I 95 are writeoffs. I
have space in the yard for several coaches. We'd have to put OSB - which I have - under the wheels though, you're on grass.

--johnny
--
76 26' Eleganza(?) with beaucoup mods and add - ons.
Braselton, Ga.

Mike Kelley

Sep 8, 2017, 9:42:29 AM9/8/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Hey Johnny:
Another Hero - you guys are awesome!!!
Mike/The Corvair a holic

Sent from my iPhone

Ken Henderson

Sep 8, 2017, 11:45:11 AM9/8/17
to GMC Mail List
Apparently we waited too long though -- I haven't had any response from any
Floridian, indicating to me that they're either already out there tied up
in traffic or otherwise too busy to do computer. The traffic, from all
indications, is a real nightmare now.

Ken H.

On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 9:41 AM, Mike Kelley <mpk1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Johnny:
> Another Hero - you guys are awesome!!!
> Mike/The Corvair a holic
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On Sep 8, 2017, at 8:18 AM, Johnny Bridges via Gmclist <
> gmc...@list.gmcnet.org> wrote:
> >
> > The move is motor over to US 19 north if you're coming to Atlanta, US
> 441 North if you're headed North of Atlanta. I 75 and I 95 are writeoffs.
> > have space in the yard for several coaches. We'd have to put OSB -
> which I have - under the wheels though, you're on grass.

Johnny Bridges via Gmclist

Sep 8, 2017, 12:18:59 PM9/8/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Johnny Bridges
I note Paul Falce got out yesterday and the roads were already packed. I doubt they have improved any overnight.

--johnny
--
76 26' Eleganza(?) with beaucoup mods and add - ons.
Braselton, Ga.
"I forgive them all, save those who hurt the dogs. They must answer to me in hell" - ol Andy, paraphrased

Jim Galbavy

Sep 8, 2017, 4:44:33 PM9/8/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Ken,

We are hunkered down and staying put. House is high ground and shielded by forests that
are not too close to be a problem. GMC is in the street in front of the house with no
trees around it plus 55 gal. of non-ethanol fuel and 3 Jerry can to boot. Truck and car
are gassed up. Water tank is full and black tank MT. EV6010 is primed and everything is
working.

Getting out on the road is not a good idea to me unless we were going to the GMCMHI rally
and were thru the backups already.

See you on the other side if we lose wifi.

jim Galbavy
'73 x-CL ANNIE
Lake Mary, FL

Bill

Sep 8, 2017, 8:55:31 PM9/8/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Ken
We're staying put... Of course Irma is now making a closer path to us, maybe... who knows
High ground no water issues where we live... plenty of LP, drinking water, fuel tanks full, onan tested and ready thanks to Jim B. Suggestions...
hums
Everyone be safe

--
Bill and Mary Kay Boeyen
76 23' Birchaven 455

Kerry Pinkerton

Sep 8, 2017, 9:03:30 PM9/8/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
I saw on FB that Alex Ferrara headed out early for Elkhart. 19hours today but only 400 miles and he was still in GA.
--
Kerry Pinkerton - North Alabama

Had 5 over the years. Still have the first a 76 that will be rebodied into an art deco car hauler.

http://www.bdub.net/pinkerton/

'03 Fleetwood Discovery 39L

Ken Henderson

Sep 8, 2017, 9:55:23 PM9/8/17
to GMC Mail List
I just called him. He's north of Atlanta, still 600+ miles from Elkhart.
Had a TERRIBLE 19 hours. Bumper to bumper all the way, and a 3 hour delay
for an accident. He even burned up his brakes -- re-padded them today.
Spent the night (if you can call 2AM on "overnight" in a closed service
station with 200 others -- who left all of their garbage on the ground when
they left. He's really disgusted. Can't blame him.

Bad situation.

Ken H.

jdli...@hotmail.com

Sep 9, 2017, 1:08:03 AM9/9/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Great advice, 19 is my go to route when headed to central Florida and north to southern Georgia. Especially in the GMC. A much more relaxed drive and
plenty of nice places to stop. I detest I-75.

Johnny Bridges wrote on Fri, 08 September 2017 08:18

--
JD Lisenby- USAF Ret
1978 Royale-455

Navarre, FL

Bob Heller

Sep 12, 2017, 2:52:33 PM9/12/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
My Onan 6K got about 3 hours of Hurricane Irma use yesterday.

Timeline:

~0300 - power goes out. I have a 2-GC2 battery and 3000 watt inverter on a small cart that I keep in the garage for short term power outages. I
plugged the tv and a lamp into it via long extension cord and continued watching tv and listening to the wind and rain.

~0600 - start the coffeemaker.

~0800 - inverter battery is going low and neighbors are over getting their share of coffee. We need 2 coffeemakers going so we decide to plug in my
fridge, tv, freezer, coffeemakers, and neighbors fridge into the GMC. Onan starts up after about 10 seconds of cranking (I forgot to use the 'prime'
button to prefill the carb) and runs without missing a beat.

~1100 - power comes back on. God Bless Duke Energy!

So now I can say truthfully that I used the GMC/Onan to produce electricity to run household appliances during a hurricane. In reality it wasn't for
very long.

--
Bob Heller
1974 X-Canyonlands 26ft

RC Jordan

Sep 12, 2017, 3:00:05 PM9/12/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
JimB posted that power returned to his Orlando home neighborhood about 5am this morning.
--
77 Royale Coachmen Side Dry Bath
76 Birchaven Coachmen Side Wet Bath

James Hupy

Sep 12, 2017, 3:06:22 PM9/12/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Col Ken, you o.k. in Americus?
Jim Hupy

Johnny Bridges via Gmclist

Sep 12, 2017, 3:18:25 PM9/12/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Johnny Bridges
A few trees down around here and spotty power outages. Mine flickered a few times. Lost broadband late last night, back this afternoon. I did get to
watch an arc walk down a 15KV three phase line for a few minutes until the breaker shut the line off. When I took the dogs up to the lake to walk
this morning I saw a lot of unpowered traffic lights. It is interesting that in the poorer sections of town, everyone treated the dead lights as a 4
way stop and we had no problems. In the richer sections, screeches, curses, bent fenders. Go figure.

--johnny
--
76 26' Eleganza(?) with beaucoup mods and add - ons.
Braselton, Ga.
"I forgive them all, save those who hurt the dogs. They must answer to me in hell" - ol Andy, paraphrased

Richard Denney

Sep 12, 2017, 4:20:25 PM9/12/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
I heard from Ken--all is well and he's mostly cleaned up, at least what can
be seen from the street. But power is still out.

Rick "received an email this morning" Denney
--
'73 X-Glacier 230 "Jaws"
Northern Virginia

Terry

Sep 12, 2017, 5:05:42 PM9/12/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Maybe the safer acting people have a stronger self-preservation instinct when interacting with the unknown immediate future events. Or they choose not
to look/plan for those events and instead do the workaround, which is to stop, as the laws specify. The ones cursing over the bent metal did not see
or plan for the future events correctly... 8)
--
Terry Kelpien

ASE Master Technician

Smithfield, Va.

James Hupy

Sep 12, 2017, 5:24:45 PM9/12/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
They (the privelaged ones) are less accustomed to having to survive on
their skills and base instincts. I just returned from Europe, Prague, Czech
Republic. It is like a new frontier for those folks. Having to survive
under a less restrictive government. Some welcome the opportunity and see a
bright future. The ones who cozied up to the Commies, are somewhat lost,
kinda wringing their hands and moaning. Not much different here, I suppose.
If one draws a parallel comparison. Sure glad I have GMC motor homes to
keep my mind on track. (Grin)
Jim Hupy
BACK IN THE USA.
78 GMC ROYALE 403

Chris Tyler

Sep 13, 2017, 3:37:36 PM9/13/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
I lucked out in Odessa {North Tampa area] with very minor damage and only lost power for about 20 min.
Yard flooded about 4-6 inches but receded
GMC is unscathed
Bugging out wasnt an option.I have to work at the hospital.
Beyond that, some brake issues would keep me from taking the GMC
It could be used for post storm shelter if needed
Conventional wisdom here is to run from water, shelter from wind
The evacuation was a real mess. I went out to top off my tank at 3 AM sunday AM- every station was out of fuel. Many people stranded or stuck on the
roads.
Im a 5th generation FL native- this is the first storm that really worried me. The metal rood ans storm shutters payed off.

--
76 Glenbrook