[GMCnet] Cruise/wiper function on turn signal

1 view

Gerard Hickey

Oct 13, 2021, 6:42:58 PM10/13/21
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Good afternoon everyone,

Here is a quick question (famous last words....) concerning changing
from the hydraulic wiper to an electric one. I have just recently gotten
the electric wiper conversion kit and have been investigating how to do
the wiper control. I have seen the presentations that talk about
rebuilding the upper half of the steering column to use a newer turn
signal that includes the cruise and wiper control.

In looking for various controls I have seen a number of controls like
the following:

    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0049XQJZE/

It seems like this would be an easier way to go than rebuilding the
steering column. At that point it should be just adapting the stem on
the control to the turn signal arm or building a new turn signal arm
from some stock tubing.

Am I overlooking something or just not thinking about some other aspect?

BTW, I am building my own wiring harness as I have other requirements
that are including a CANBUS network. So adapting the signals from this
(or similar) control to what the motor needs to see will not be an issue.

Thanks.

--
Gerard Hickey / WTØF IRLP:3067/Echolink:529661
hic...@kinetic-compute.com DMR: 3102272

Tony Wright

Oct 14, 2021, 8:47:14 AM10/14/21
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org

Tony Wright

Oct 14, 2021, 9:49:16 AM10/14/21
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Oops, you were looking for wiper control, not cruise control.

Gerard Hickey

Oct 14, 2021, 3:17:26 PM10/14/21
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Actually looking for both cruise and wiper. I already have cruise
control on the turn signal. Pretty sure that it is factory installed
(just a single button at the end of the turn signal).

The only advantage I really see to rebuilding the steering column is if
I wanted to get the headlight control up on the turn signal also. It is
a thought but I am not sure it is worth the time and effort at this
point. I was really hoping some one would come back and point out that I
was not thinking of some aspect for not just adapting to the turn signal
stem.

BTW, I am sitting down here and waving toward you. I am down in
Issaquah. :-)

--

On 10/14/21 6:49 AM, Tony Wright wrote:
> Oops, you were looking for wiper control, not cruise control.

Jim Kanomata

Oct 14, 2021, 8:33:55 PM10/14/21
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Billy Massey has a complete info on converting to full control of ALL your
looking for.
Realize the coach has a larger diameter lower shaft, so a direct swap will
not work unless

On Thu, Oct 14, 2021 at 12:17 PM Gerard Hickey <hic...@kinetic-compute.com>
wrote:
--