Re: [GMCnet] GMC RV Window Tint

6cuda6--- via Gmclist

May 15, 2020, 2:22:50 PM5/15/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, 6cu...@gmail.com
Subscribed.....i want to do my windows as well and am not sure what is best...one thing for sure is it's going to be ceramic something or other.
--
Rich Mondor,

Brockville, ON

Jon Roche via Gmclist

May 15, 2020, 4:15:38 PM5/15/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Jon Roche
tint manufactures really want to sell through installer/venders, and they like to keep their secrets.

with that said, if it is needing to be sold via a "professional tint" installing company, it is probably good tint.

Llumar is common.

SunTek I believe is what was put in my coach last year on the windshield and rear window.

3m is commonly known as good tint(the stuff that is sold to dealers).

--
Jon Roche
75 palm beach

Ken Burton via Gmclist

May 15, 2020, 9:27:09 PM5/15/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Ken Burton
I went through this last year when I tried to offer pre-tinted windshields for installation at the GMCMI rally in Mansfield. We were looking for a
high IR blockage with minimal light blockage tint. We finally settled on the Huper-Optik product.

We were all set go until we ran into legal problems on what was allowed in the various states and provinces. I actually had an installer near the
warehouse all set up to do 26 windshields that then would be delivered / forwarded to the Mansfield rally. We had to pull the plug on the project.
It turns out that they would have only been legal in two states and one or more provinces in Canada. I only checked one province, Ontario. We found
that there was no federal US or Canadian ban on them. BUT.... We also found that the states stuck their nose into this and there is a wide variety
laws against tinting the windshield. This does not apply in most states to the side windows.

As a result of these laws what we found many, many vendors are still tinting windshields but they will not issue receipts and warranty their work or
the tint material. They want no paper work trail back to them. They will warranty their work and materials on side and rear windows. The other
thing we found was next to no installer will put tint on installed front windshields due to the difficulty of the big inside curve and clearance
around the instrument panel on a GMC. A few GMCers have been successful getting an installer to do the work.

These are just a few things that you are up against.

Ken B.
--
Ken Burton - N9KB
76 Palm Beach

murphysantina--- via Gmclist

May 18, 2020, 9:06:57 AM5/18/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, murphy...@gmail.com
Whatever you go with make sure you get a paper stating your legal in your state...that way your covered when some overpaid mall cop tries to make
quota on tickets...and a 360 security camera setup helps too

Jim Kanomata via Gmclist

May 18, 2020, 10:15:32 AM5/18/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Jim Kanomata
I know when Jim Bounds and I did the Full Height Cockpit GlassSet ,
CRLarence used a glass that is almost clear, but reject the UV heat.
I’ll ask JimB to let you know and there is a chance we can get windshields
made that way.

--
Jim Kanomata
Applied/GMC, Newark,CA

Johnny Bridges via Gmclist

May 18, 2020, 10:21:00 AM5/18/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Johnny Bridges
For cameras I bought one of these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-4-Auto-Car-Dash-Camera-with-Infrared-Night-Vision-1080HD-Camera-with-G-Sensor/383546488331?hash=item594d26f60b:g:qRYAAOSwUvheEZBF

Which looks out the front and svaes automatically if the G sensor is activated. Otherwise it overwrites FIFO and holds 30 minutes of so on an SD
card. Cart before the horse for when one of the local get richers swerves in front and lays out the anchor. I move it to whatever I'm driving.
W#hen I get richer I'll get a couple more. This in addition to the backup camera which plays through the big GPS display.

--johnny
--
Foolish Carriage, 76 26' Eleganza(?) with beaucoup mods and add - ons.
Braselton, Ga.

John Wright via Gmclist

May 18, 2020, 2:01:07 PM5/18/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, John Wright
The last 2 cars that we have had not including the 2020 have had a product call Ceramic windshield tine applied to the inside of the windshield. Most auto windshields do provide some UV protection. One example is if you have the type of lenses that darken in sunlight but inside the car do not change then the windshield is filtering the UV.

The Ceramic windshield film has a very light tint almost not noticeable but filters the rest of the UV that might come thru the glass and it cuts heat gain thru the glass noticeably, Had it applied in Florida and Tucson. Both were professionally installed, curved windshield are not a problem for a good installer as they pre stretch the film to shape then install on the inside.

J.R. Wright
GMC Great Laker MHC
GMCGL Tech Editor
GMC Eastern States Charter Member
GMCMI
78 GMC Buskirk 29.5’ Stretch
75 GMC Avion (Under Reconstruction)
Michigan

Ken Burton via Gmclist

May 20, 2020, 2:31:27 AM5/20/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Ken Burton
Do not get confused with VLT (Visible Light Transfer) and the UV / IR / heat transfer a numbers. To take a given windshield type and have it made
with a different VLT requires a different / new DOT registration and number inscribed in the windshield by the manufacturer. THIS APPLIES TO
WINDSHIELDS ONLY, not side windows.

Most existing DOT windshields have a 70% or 80% VLT. This is what the cops measure when they want to issue a ticket and force you to remove the film.

You can get some add on film the only adds 5% or 10% to the VLT number (it looks clear) but it rejects over 50 of the heat. That is what you want to
look for.

Ohio is one of the two states where installing this is legal and where we were going to install it at the rally in Mansfield. The coaches were
licensed in many different states where installing it is illegal.

That said, this stuff is being installed all over the place by many many shops in most states. So go for it, just do not expect a receipt or guaranty
for the windshield installation only.

I am still thinking about doing mine.
--
Ken Burton - N9KB
76 Palm Beach

Bruce Hislop via Gmclist

May 20, 2020, 6:40:24 AM5/20/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Bruce Hislop
For what it's worth, we had a band of dark tint put along the top of the windshields a few years ago. Its about 6-8" wide but still well above the
drivers view. At the same time we had legal tint (for Ontario) installed on the driver's and passenger's side windows.

Since we had the sides done at the same time as the windshield, I can't say how much it helped with the heat. But the heat gain was significantly
reduced with the tint done. It was done maybe 8 years ago so it was the metalized tint common at installers at the time... nothing special.

You can see the "eyebrow" of tint here:
http://www.gmcmhphotos.com/photos/misc/p62447-the-murray-in-bed-for-winter.html

--
Bruce Hislop
ON Canada

Jim Galbavy via Gmclist

May 20, 2020, 7:24:31 AM5/20/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Jim Galbavy
JimB tinted my windshield last summer and it made a huge difference. It didn't take
long to do and was worth every dime. Very cost effective.

jim Galbavy
'73 x-CL ANNIE
Lake Mary, Fl

6cuda6--- via Gmclist

May 20, 2020, 8:47:09 AM5/20/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, 6cu...@gmail.com
Bruce, how dark did you go on the side cockpit windows? And are the rest of the windows tinted as well?

RF_Burns wrote on Wed, 20 May 2020 06:39
> For what it's worth, we had a band of dark tint put along the top of the windshields a few years ago. Its about 6-8" wide but still well above
> the drivers view. At the same time we had legal tint (for Ontario) installed on the driver's and passenger's side windows.
>
> Since we had the sides done at the same time as the windshield, I can't say how much it helped with the heat. But the heat gain was significantly
> reduced with the tint done. It was done maybe 8 years ago so it was the metalized tint common at installers at the time... nothing special.
>
> You can see the "eyebrow" of tint here:
> http://www.gmcmhphotos.com/photos/misc/p62447-the-murray-in-bed-for-winter.html

--
Rich Mondor,

Brockville, ON

Dave King via Gmclist

May 20, 2020, 5:02:36 PM5/20/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Dave King
Rick M and others in Ontario, specifically. I believe there is a reasonably new "LAW" regarding window
tinting on motor vehicles in Ontario Canada. I've only been part of several discussions about it and have not read
the MTO Regulation. I've heard that the new MTO Regulation for side window tint says something like "If the officer
cannot discern the indentities of the people in the front seat, he/she can issue a ticket for "illegal"
window tint. Be my guest and look it up in MTO Elaws.
--
DAVE KING
lurker, wannabe

6cuda6--- via Gmclist

May 20, 2020, 5:24:53 PM5/20/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, 6cu...@gmail.com
I know they had a % maximum at one time but Its pretty much been like that the whole time but it is and was up to the officers discretion.

kingd wrote on Wed, 20 May 2020 17:01
> Rick M and others in Ontario, specifically. I believe there is a reasonably new "LAW" regarding window
> tinting on motor vehicles in Ontario Canada. I've only been part of several discussions about it and have not read
> the MTO Regulation. I've heard that the new MTO Regulation for side window tint says something like "If the officer
> cannot discern the indentities of the people in the front seat, he/she can issue a ticket for "illegal"
> window tint. Be my guest and look it up in MTO Elaws.

--
Rich Mondor,

Brockville, ON

Larry via Gmclist

May 20, 2020, 10:03:03 PM5/20/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Larry
We had a dark lemo tint done on all windows behind the cockpit, and for the cockpit side windows, tinted darker as much as is legal in Florida. Didn't
touch the windshield. We like the dark tint on side windows because it helps the windows disappear into the paint job. Here is a pic of our coach.
http://www.gmcmhphotos.com/photos/our-coach/p67136-lost-dutchman-sp-az.html
We also like the dark tint because it has reduced interior heat build in the summer, and from the outside, during the day you cannot see what is going
on inside. So adds a bit of privacy.

The down side is, with that dark of a tint, it makes the sight out of the back window so low as to make the interior rear view mirror useless. So we
are considering a rear view camera so I can tell what is happening with the towd. In addition, that dark of a tint leads to us having to turn on
lights in the middle of a sunny day if we are parked in the shade. These old eyes need more light and more often than not, we are running lights to be
able to adequately see what we are dong. Especially for reading. If I had to do it again, I would not go quite so dark. Just my observations.
--
Larry
78 Royale w/500 Caddy

Bruce Hislop via Gmclist

May 20, 2020, 10:13:12 PM5/20/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Bruce Hislop
I think at the time we could go darker, but it was a while ago so I don't know the exact specs on it. I've never had it questioned, but I should
check into it.

The house side windows were replaced with after-market windows that are tinted. I don't know if the tint rating is etched into the glass with the DOT
approval. I'll take a look.

--
Bruce Hislop
ON Canada
77PB, 455 Dick P. rebuilt, DynamicEFI EBL EFI & ESC.1 ton front end
http://www.gmcmhphotos.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=29001
My Staff says I never listen to them, or something like that

Stephan ashe via Gmclist

May 21, 2020, 3:41:58 PM5/21/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Stephan ashe
we bought a solar powered rear view camera from costco, 100 ish when it was on special. really does the trick and no wiring.

https://www.costco.com/.product.100425010.html
--
Stephan Ashe
1973 26-6 painted desert?

6cuda6--- via Gmclist

May 21, 2020, 5:19:13 PM5/21/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, 6cu...@gmail.com
Thats really neat!! i like it.

Stephan Ashe wrote on Thu, 21 May 2020 15:41
> we bought a solar powered rear view camera from costco, 100 ish when it was on special. really does the trick and no wiring.
>
> https://www.costco.com/.product.100425010.html

--
Rich Mondor,

Brockville, ON

Jon Roche via Gmclist

May 31, 2020, 10:46:11 PM5/31/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Jon Roche
Thanks for report back.

I had almost
The same experience with window tint people over the years. I finally settled on someone last fall and only did the windshield and back window.
He fought and succeeded in not having a seam on the windshield, and ripped and wasted alot of film in the process.

I intend to film the rest, but that will require pulling cabinets, so not really in The schedule for a while.

I had him put lighter tint on back window, but he said after
Thay the wife would prefer the limo-darker tint. After conceding he was right, He ripped off that light tint on the back window and installed the
darker(limo) tint. He was right and there was virtually no difference looking out from in. But big difference looking in from outside.

--
Jon Roche
75 palm beach
EBL EFI, manny headers, Micro Level, rebuilt most of coach now.
St. Cloud, MN
http://lqqkatjon.blogspot.com/

6cuda6--- via Gmclist

Jun 1, 2020, 6:25:15 AM6/1/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, 6cu...@gmail.com
That's looks awesome!!! On the list of things that i need to have done for sure.
--
Rich Mondor,

Brockville, ON