[GMCnet] At least one GM electrical worker was colorblind

1 view

Ken Burton

May 1, 2017, 8:10:30 AM5/1/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
I always knew at least one of my rear clearance lights was polarity reversed. Well ALL of them were and it was an intentional act.

GM designed and built the wiring harness to the lights correctly. The light installer reversed all of the plugs. He plugged red wires into black
harness wire/sockets and black wires into red harness wire/sockets on ALL of them. This was done OEM by a GM worker as they sprayed foam insulation
over the wires and it had not been disturbed. Can't blame a PO on this one. The spray foam guy did a good job.

I do not know how other GMCers have done this job with the cap in place.

My inside floor lights are also reversed polarity but I have never traced it down and fixed them. I'll bet it was the same GM worker that installed
did them.

I got the final rusted in rear clearance light replaced last night. A one day soaking with Kroil plus a 2 minute heat treatment with a soldering gun
and more Kroil, loosened the screws right up. I had to use pliers on the screws only because the heads were rusted so badly that a Phillips screw
driver would not engage them any more. They turned easily.

It is on to running a wire for my added LED back up lights and repairing the cap. They will not get done before Bean Station but hopefully it will be
finished before the Eastern States work rally 2 weeks later. I hope to replace the 2 rear side windows with CR Lawrence ones at the Eastern States
work rally.

Who says I do not get things done. It has only been 13 years since I ordered the clearance lights and about 5 years or so since I ordered the
windows.
--
Ken Burton - N9KB
76 Palm Beach

Kingsley Coach

May 1, 2017, 6:58:22 PM5/1/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Someone tell me, quick..is Ken bragging or complaining about his production
levels??

Mike in NS
--
Michael Beaton
1977 Kingsley 26-11

Life is too short to hold a grudge; slash some tires and call it even !

John R. Lebetski

May 1, 2017, 7:36:08 PM5/1/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Someone must have gone on a bender at a Pontiac watering hole the night before coming in to work.
--
John Lebetski
Woodstock, IL

kelly stockwell

May 1, 2017, 8:34:34 PM5/1/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
One of my floor lights were reversed. Thanks to someone here who suggested it could be the case... Filaments don't care about polarity.

kelly
--
1978 Kingsley
Putney VT

Ronald Pottol

May 1, 2017, 11:03:17 PM5/1/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Or is he complaining about shipping times? Lucky he didn't move!

Ken Burton

May 2, 2017, 2:35:14 AM5/2/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Yes, two of my floor lights are reversed. I have not fixed them yet.

Ron,

My latest complaint about shipping is USPS.

I ordered two headsets. USPS delivered them Saturday in one box. Unfortunately the carrier put the package up against my garage door. Early Sunday
morning I backed out of the garage and smashed one of them. I took the smashed box and headset to the post office today. They said even thought the
damage was due to carrier negligence, they are not responsible for the damage because the shipper did not take out insurance. I filled two different
complaint forms on line this afternoon. I think I'll keep complaining up the line until they replace my broken one. I once had a distributor cap
delivered in 17 pieces. I never got a penny out of that one.

Johnny Bridges via Gmclist

May 2, 2017, 9:03:43 AM5/2/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Johnny Bridges
Ken, USPS flat rate boxes carry $50 inherently, and the P.O. lady always asksif I want more.

--johnnhy
--
76 26' Eleganza(?) with beaucoup mods and add - ons.
Braselton, Ga.

Emery Stora

May 2, 2017, 9:19:23 AM5/2/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
In Dec I I sent a flat rate box. The tracking number said it was out on the truck for delivery, However it was never delivered. After waiting for a month I put in a claim for $50. Then three weeks later I got a letter telling me to submit a receipt. I sent a receipt that showed $70.
Three weeks later my claim was denied. No explanation was given.

Emery

Keith V

May 2, 2017, 10:00:58 AM5/2/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
I'll never buy shipping insurance again, a friend of mine used to send 2 large shipping containers, 2'x2'x4' heavy duty plastic with custom foam inserts to protect a bunch of expensive race timing equipment for the Porsche club. Did this every weekend for YEARS getting insurance everytime. One day the containers showed up looking like it got run over by a truck. UPS said obviously your containers were not strong enough... Denied.

(not) surprisingly the Porsche club has a few lawyers in it, still they were only able to get 50 cents on the dollar out of them.

Insurance is useless

________________________________
May 2, 2017, 11:54:44 AM5/2/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Johnny Bridges
We occasionally got something in busted from UPS, and always noted 'In manufacturers original packing' which we kept until they came and inspected or
simply paid the claim. Never had one denied, but for 8 - 9 Large of electronic equipment, their guy always came and looked before paying.

--johnny
--
76 26' Eleganza(?) with beaucoup mods and add - ons.
Braselton, Ga.
"I forgive them all, save those who hurt the dogs. They must answer to me in hell" - ol Andy, paraphrased

A.

May 2, 2017, 12:54:21 PM5/2/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
The thread shifted from USPS to UPS. For smaller packages, USPS costs less than UPS. UPS and FedEx leave stuff at my front door. I never use my front
door, never even look at it. Lots of times I don't know I have a package until I check the status and find it has been delivered, then I go to the
front door and get it.

As far as USPS, it depends on the LOCAL office postmaster.

A minute ago the mail carrier pulled into my driveway and blew the horn to deliver something too big for the box. If there is no one home, they leave
it at the carport door. I find it when I get home. Saves me a trip to the post office every time. They don't have to do it. They can just as easily
leave the package at the post office and stick a note in my box that I have a package waiting. I have lived here almost 9 years, and only had to go to
the Post Office to retrieve something one time - a certified letter that for some reason was too important to be delivered by the route carrier
(shrug). As much stuff as the CFO gets that's too big for the box, it adds up to dozens of trips to the Post Office saved. Never had anything
damaged.

My opinion of the USPS is exactly opposite to Mr. Burton's because my LOCAL postmaster is not a worthless lump like his.
--
73 23' Sequoia 4 Sale
73 23' CanyonLands Parts Unit 4 Sale

Ken Burton

May 2, 2017, 2:28:03 PM5/2/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
This was not a flat rate box. It was an ebay sale fulfilled by Amazon.
--
Ken Burton - N9KB
76 Palm Beach

Johnny Bridges via Gmclist

May 2, 2017, 4:47:41 PM5/2/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Johnny Bridges
Then you got to bitch at Amazon.I'm like Mark, the local postal orifce is something called a contract office, whatever that implies.. nut the
Personperson leaves packages at the door instead of at the end of the driveway where the mailbox is. I told her we have an agreement with the
neighbor and use each other's driveway so we don't have to back out into the highway. Consequently she doesn't lose time leaving off Amazon and eBay
heathen chinee stuff.

--johnny n.b. My liberal daughter told me 'Mailman' is a sexist appelation, consequently they're known as 'Personpersons'. j.b.

--
76 26' Eleganza(?) with beaucoup mods and add - ons.
Braselton, Ga.
"I forgive them all, save those who hurt the dogs. They must answer to me in hell" - ol Andy, paraphrased

Jerry Burt

May 2, 2017, 5:21:04 PM5/2/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Johnny Bridges wrote on Tue, 02 May 2017 13:46
> n.b. My liberal daughter told me 'Mailman' is a sexist appelation, consequently they're known as 'Personpersons'. j.b.

:lol: Now that's a new one on me. "Personperson" :d
--
Patti & Jerry Burt
73 Gmc 26' Canyon Lands -

James Hupy

May 2, 2017, 5:27:31 PM5/2/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
That's just about enuf of that B.S. That talk is for the folkes that can't
tell mail from male. (Grin)
Jim Hupy

Ken Burton

May 3, 2017, 12:15:21 AM5/3/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Well the personperson (1970 term) responded today to my complaint. She delivered a package for me today and left it next door. We are rural so next
door is not really next door. My neighbor called at 8 PM and I went and retrieved it from him. At least it did not get run over by a PU truck.