[GMCnet] Pinhole leak in airbag

Keith V via Gmclist

May 31, 2020, 7:44:33 PM5/31/20
to GMC List, Keith V
Well I'm just finding all kinds of weird issues this trip. I just figured out an airbag has a pinhole leak. Just a little bubble when i soap it up.
I do have a spare bag, but i dont have a socket big enough to get it off. I could walk to town, about a mile in the morning and get a socket if necessary

I'm currently about 400 miles from home in south dakota

Should i risk it? Or should i fix it ASAP?

Thanks for your consideration
Keith Vasilakes
76 Royale
On the road Chaimberlain SD

Jim Kanomata via Gmclist

May 31, 2020, 7:50:21 PM5/31/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Jim Kanomata
`Cut a 2x4 wood 15" and place it between the arms and drive home.

On Sun, May 31, 2020 at 4:44 PM Keith V via Gmclist <gmc...@list.gmcnet.org>
wrote:
--
Jim Kanomata
Applied/GMC, Newark,CA

Jon Roche via Gmclist

May 31, 2020, 8:12:20 PM5/31/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Jon Roche
Probably been leaking for a long time. I would drive home. Plus your air system will make sure it does not go flat while driving.

A hitch ball wrench can usually be a pretty inexpensive 1 1/8” size to pull the airbag off it has to be swapped. Probably not cheap or easy to
find in chamberlain. Maybe corn palace town menards for $10.

--
Jon Roche
75 palm beach

6cuda6--- via Gmclist

May 31, 2020, 8:29:55 PM5/31/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, 6cu...@gmail.com
How long does it take to leak down? My one bag with a pin hole takes 2 weeks.....i have no quarms driving it but its a stock system (id probably think
twice if it was a quad bag setup). But as Jim said, get a backup and in the next big town you pass grab a wrench....just in case.
--
Rich Mondor,

Brockville, ON

Keith V via Gmclist

May 31, 2020, 8:41:51 PM5/31/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Keith V, 6cu...@gmail.com
It takes overnight to go 1/2 way down with the valves off. The site we are on has the rear all the way up and it's still not quite level.
In the morning it was tilted pretty bad, but still holding some air.
I have the jack under it tonight.

The slow leak is no big deal, I'm just worried about complete failure.
Having that happen on I90 with the Co pilot already stressed out would be false economy.

There is a Napa in Chamberlain here, I think I'll just buy the dang socket and swap in the other bag

________________________________
I would get the socket and swap it as its going to be a very long ride if you don't i think....lol.

Keith V wrote on Sun, 31 May 2020 20:41
> It takes overnight to go 1/2 way down with the valves off. The site we are on has the rear all the way up and it's still not quite level.
> In the morning it was tilted pretty bad, but still holding some air.
> I have the jack under it tonight.
>
> The slow leak is no big deal, I'm just worried about complete failure.
> Having that happen on I90 with the Co pilot already stressed out would be false economy.
>
> There is a Napa in Chamberlain here, I think I'll just buy the dang socket and swap in the other bag
>

> ________________________________

Bruce Hislop via Gmclist

May 31, 2020, 9:24:05 PM5/31/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Bruce Hislop
I had one bag that leaked like a pin cushion. It would be down about an inch between fuel fillups. I still drove it for a couple of years before
replacing both.

--
Bruce Hislop
ON Canada

Ken Burton via Gmclist

Jun 1, 2020, 5:07:48 AM6/1/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Ken Burton
I would at least go get the correct size wrench. You can buy individual sockets and wrenches at Menards or TSC or Home Depot. I believe it is 1-1/8"
or 1-1/16". Take the wrench(s) out in the parking lot and try it to verify the size. Return / exchange it right then if it is wrong. You also will
need a 9/16" or 5/8" wrench of the air line. Get a spray can of a good penetrating oil (Kroil or PB Blaster preferred) and soak threads and the nuts
once a day for 4 or 5 days. Do this with the system aired up and coach weight on the wheels. Once you know the nuts will turn freely, you are home
free. Now you are ready "Just in case". You are ready if needed.

After that, just drive it. The air system will keep it aired up automatically and you should be ready to go. If you are like me, anything that you
carry parts and tools for never fails on the road.

I helped a guy just last week change 2 bags in a rest area. It took us about 10 minutes per side in the rain using 2 wrenches and a hydraulic jack
(with jack hook) to do the job. We were quick about it because we were getting pretty wet.
--
Ken Burton - N9KB
76 Palm Beach

Johnny Bridges via Gmclist

Jun 1, 2020, 8:22:21 AM6/1/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Johnny Bridges
I've never seen a leak improve by itself... if it were me, I'd pick up the tool(s) next stop and swap for a non leaking bag if you have one.

--johnny
--
Foolish Carriage, 76 26' Eleganza(?) with beaucoup mods and add - ons.
Braselton, Ga.

Ken Burton via Gmclist

Jun 1, 2020, 9:36:48 AM6/1/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Ken Burton
Actually Johnny, I have seen an air leak fix itself. My Equinox had a slow leak in the right rear tire at the rate of around 1 PSI per day. I put
air in it about every 5 or 6 days. The last time I put air in it, it quit leaking and has been that way for about two weeks. All I can figure is it
must have been the valve core or a rim leak. You see procrastination does occasionally pay off.

I agree that an air bag leak through the bag itself is not going away.
--
Ken Burton - N9KB
76 Palm Beach

Keith V via Gmclist

Jun 1, 2020, 10:00:26 AM6/1/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Keith V, Ken Burton
I have the correct socket at how, fat lot of good that does here though.
I'm mostly concerned about the bag blowing on the trip
________________________________
Jun 1, 2020, 10:28:43 AM6/1/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Carl Stouffer
Whatever you do, DON'T put Green Slime in it. a month or so after I got my coach, the right air bag blew wide open right in my driveway, about a week
before our inaugural trip. Evidently the PO thought he had a leak in it (it turned out to be some loose shut off valve plumbing) and put some Slime
in it. It sat there in the bottom of the bag and softened it up enough that it blew the bottom right out of it.

That said, I wonder if a can of Fix-A-Flat would work as a short term fix? It is more of a latex foam than a liquid, but it would probably just
settle in the bottom of the bag like the Slime did. It works okay in a rotating tire, but probably not worth the chance in a stationary air bag.
--
Carl Stouffer
'75 ex Palm Beach

6cuda6--- via Gmclist

Jun 1, 2020, 10:40:05 AM6/1/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, 6cu...@gmail.com
I would be more worried about your travel partner blowing a gasket then the bag.....plus you'll have to ride with that "look" all the way home. 8o

Keith V wrote on Mon, 01 June 2020 09:59
> I have the correct socket at how, fat lot of good that does here though.
> I'm mostly concerned about the bag blowing on the trip
> ________________________________

Rich Mondor,

Brockville, ON

Ken Henderson via Gmclist

Jun 1, 2020, 12:05:17 PM6/1/20
to GMC Mail List, Ken Henderson, Carl Stouffer
If you ever want the self-leveling capability to work again, DON'T put ANY
sealant in the air suspension system. It will permanently clog the
electrical and level-sensing valves.

Ken H.

Keith V via Gmclist

Jun 1, 2020, 2:28:23 PM6/1/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Keith V, Carl Stouffer, Ken Henderson
Agreed ken, ive never used that stuff. I gave the wife a can for emergency use on her car, but thats it
________________________________
Jun 1, 2020, 3:30:51 PM6/1/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Matt Colie
Ken Henderson wrote on Mon, 01 June 2020 12:03
> If you ever want the self-leveling capability to work again, DON'T put ANY sealant in the air suspension system. It will permanently clog the
> electrical and level-sensing valves.
>
> Ken H.

Ken,

This is Keith Vasilakes (the developer of Micro-Level)

His air system only has two simple valves per side and if the exhaust valve is a teflon seat (not uncommon), it could probably handle that stuff in
the valve.

Matt

--
Matt & Mary Colie - '73 Glacier 23 - Members GMCMI, GMCGL, GMCES
Electronically Controlled Quiet Engine Cooling Fan

Tyler via Gmclist

Jun 1, 2020, 5:00:41 PM6/1/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Tyler
I drove home 200 miles from the beach with the 4x4 wood timber solution in place once. Really was not a problem. If you are worried about the bag
blowing or dropping, the wood would at least be consistent. Does not change driver experience much. Just the pain of a semi-controllable road trip
repair, instead of an uncontrolled road side repair - very different.

I had a plastic cone rupture early in my ownership (before I knew to replace them) and it cut the bag. ALL early model owners, especially new owners,
verify you do not have plastic cones!

--
1975 Glenbrook, 1978 Royale rear bath
Raleigh, NC

Emery Stora via Gmclist

Jun 1, 2020, 6:57:23 PM6/1/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Emery Stora
Years ago I had made a temporary bag replacement using a 3/4” threaded rod purchased from ACE hardware together with nuts and washers
I cut it to 18” and replaced the bag with it. I drove 400 miles to get a new bag. It rode fairly well.

Emery Stora

>> On Jun 1, 2020, at 3:00 PM, Tyler via Gmclist <gmc...@list.gmcnet.org> wrote:
> I drove home 200 miles from the beach with the 4x4 wood timber solution in place once. Really was not a problem. If you are worried about the bag

Keith V via Gmclist

Jun 1, 2020, 10:15:45 PM6/1/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Keith V, Matt Colie
I still wouldnt use it unless i had to!
Jun 1, 2020, 10:17:29 PM6/1/20
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Keith V, Emery Stora
I got it fixed. 1 hour 10 minutes. Its nice having an impact wrench around when you need it!

Could use a bigger air compressor tho lol