[GMCnet] Generator compartment storage

Terry

Feb 6, 2017, 5:15:19 PM2/6/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
The gen in my coach is toast has not been working for 10 years but PO never removed it. I would like to take it out and rebuilt compartment into
storage. Has anyone done this and have any hints.

Mark Bennett

Feb 6, 2017, 5:48:50 PM2/6/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
G'Day,
We sold our generator as soon as we bought our GMC.
We wished to have more storage for longer term travelling, also we were going Solar anyway.
Our interior lay out is different to others, enabling us to gain even more space.
We can access from the rear wheel liner to the rear panel and most of the way along the rear panel.
http://www.gmcmhphotos.com/photos/solar/p35732-going-solar.html
http://www.gmcmhphotos.com/photos/gail-26amp-3b-marks-cruiser/p35587-as-it-is-now.html
--
Mark Bennett
Gail & Mark's Cruiser

Terry

Feb 6, 2017, 6:31:29 PM2/6/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Thanks interesting layout

A.

Feb 6, 2017, 7:02:09 PM2/6/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Glenbrook75 wrote on Mon, 06 February 2017 16:14
> The gen in my coach is toast has not been working for 10 years but PO never removed it. I would like to take it out and rebuilt compartment into
> storage. Has anyone done this and have any hints.
Where are you? I need another 6kW Onan.
--
73 23' Sequoia 4 Sale
73 23' CanyonLands Parts Unit 4 Sale

Terry

Feb 6, 2017, 7:15:51 PM2/6/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Sorry far away in Manitoba, I plan to rebuild the gen once it is out and use it as a backup.

Bob Dunahugh

Feb 7, 2017, 1:25:00 AM2/7/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
The generator is simple to pull out with a cherry picker engine hoist. There's a 3/8th bolt hole taped in the intake manifold to lift with. Remove muffler. This will allow you to set the gen flat on a cart, or ground when removal is completed.There are 8 - 1/4" bolts in the track in sets of 2 each. EZ to get too. Pull the gen all the way out. Attach the hoist. Lift slightly. Remove all 8 bolts. Then swing gen to the rear of the coach. This will give you access to gas line, and wires. Power wash all surfaces. Install 3/4" marine plywood after painting both sides. DONE.

Bob Dunahugh

78 Royale

Terry

Feb 7, 2017, 11:26:28 AM2/7/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Thanks Bob can't wait to get my coach home next month to start working feeling confident that the gmc community will be there to support my lack of
mechanical skills.

Larry

Feb 7, 2017, 2:14:49 PM2/7/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
BobDunahugh wrote on Tue, 07 February 2017 00:24
Bob,

IIRC from past posts on this, it is *not* advisable to power wash the generator. Could do damage to it. Someone elaborate on this and correct me if
I'm wrong.
--
Larry
78 Royale w/500 Caddy

A.

Feb 7, 2017, 2:24:40 PM2/7/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Larry wrote on Tue, 07 February 2017 13:13
> Bob,
> IIRC from past posts on this, it is *not* advisable to power wash the generator. Could do damage to it. Someone elaborate on this and correct me
> if I'm wrong.
He was saying to power wash the compartment after the Onan is out.
--
73 23' Sequoia 4 Sale
73 23' CanyonLands Parts Unit 4 Sale
Upper Alabama
"When I grow up I am going to be a curmudgeon."

Larry

Feb 7, 2017, 5:09:49 PM2/7/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
A Hamilto wrote on Tue, 07 February 2017 13:23
> Larry wrote on Tue, 07 February 2017 13:13
> > Bob,
> > IIRC from past posts on this, it is *not* advisable to power wash the generator. Could do damage to it. Someone elaborate on this and correct
> > me if I'm wrong.
> He was saying to power wash the compartment after the Onan is out.
Yup, I assumed that, but not everyone reads things the way I do. Without clairification, someone without prior knowledge might assume it is OK to
power wash the genset also. Just didn't want anyone to get into any unnecessary trouble is all. :roll:

--
Larry
78 Royale w/500 Caddy

ree.eric

Feb 7, 2017, 6:27:25 PM2/7/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
I took mine out, unbolted the whole generator with the drawer from the frame, careful very heavy. I cut some 1/2" thick wood pieces to go front to
back on the flange of the aluminium rails to create a flat surface that I could lay a single piece of plywood over the battery and generator areas. I
put a thin wall piece of 1 1/4 square tube that fit inside the frame that is cut at the front face. 1/2 wood strip on top of this also. Could be 1/2"
plywood over the whole gen area instead of 1/2"strips. I had to dent in one face of the tubing for a few inches on each end to get it to slide into
the existing frame, went in a but farther at 1 end and then slid it back into the other. I put 5/8 plywood over all this and the aluminium that
supported the batteries. I will likely put batteries back there as it is vented.
--
Eric & Ree '74 ex-Sequoia + '75 Eleganza Alexandria, Ontario, Canada

Brian Waddell

Feb 9, 2017, 7:06:23 PM2/9/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
who is in manitoba?...looking for fellow gmcers that I do not know of....Brian 77 ele 455 ...near winnipeg

________________________________
Feb 10, 2017, 8:50:27 AM2/10/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Glenbrook75 wrote on Mon, 06 February 2017 19:15
> Sorry far away in Manitoba, I plan to rebuild the gen once it is out and use it as a backup.

Terry,

Unless it has a bag (>1000) hours on it, there should be no reason to rebuilt it. If you are worried, carefully unscrew a head and look at the
condition of the cylinder bore. It is probably just fine.

These machines are simple and for the most part reliable*.
The asterisk is because the ignition system "sucks" and the control board ages out.

When you have it out, the first thing to do is check that the field continuity is there. If you don't get close to 38ohms, the rewind is not cheap.

Otherwise:
You can find several articles about using Pertronix ignition that makes a much bigger improvement than you might expect.
If the control board has problems, just get a new Dinosaur one from JimK.
The carburetor will need a go-through - get the right kit from JimK. If you order an Walboro LMB kit on line it will have the wrong needle and seat.

Oil leaks are typically the oil filter adapter and the front cover and can often be cured by tightening the fasteners.
Unscrew the heads and be careful of the gaskets. They should be the copper covered type and are completely reusable if they are not damaged.

If you get there and it does not fire right up, (I will be surprised) come back here and we can work on a diagnosis.

Matt
--
Matt & Mary Colie - '73 Glacier 23 - Members GMCMI, GMCGL, GMCES
Still Loving OE Rear Drum Brakes with Applied Control Arms

Bob Dunahugh

Feb 10, 2017, 10:25:17 AM2/10/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
I have an original one out of my 78. With about 1000hrs on it. Runs fine. Very clean. What's one of these worth? Can bring it to a GMCMI event. Bob Dunahugh

Terry

Feb 10, 2017, 11:30:11 AM2/10/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Thanks Matt appreciate the comments I will check the hrs on the gen when I visit the coach this weekend my concern was that it has sat gor so many
years at first I thought it would be a throw away but it seems I might have been hasty I am no mechanic but figure the gen me get be good chance to
learn
--
Terry
75 Glenbrook

Johnny Bridges via Gmclist

Feb 10, 2017, 11:42:01 AM2/10/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Johnny Bridges
Running and making power, $500 or so wouldn't be out of line if you had the mounting slides with it. I'd ask for interest before I hauled the heavy
thing to a rally. The heathen chinee ones are 600 plus parts to hook them up.

--johnny
--
'76 23' transmode Norris upfit, 76 26' Eleganza(?) with beaucoup mods and add - ons.
Braselton, Ga.

Johnny Bridges via Gmclist

Feb 10, 2017, 11:43:35 AM2/10/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Johnny Bridges
Even if it isn't serviceable, there are some rare parts which would be of value to others. Field windings, manifolds, oil filter adapter, etc.

--johnny
--
'76 23' transmode Norris upfit, 76 26' Eleganza(?) with beaucoup mods and add - ons.
Braselton, Ga.
"The road goes on forever, and the party never ends" --Robert Earl Keen

A.

Feb 10, 2017, 11:55:53 AM2/10/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
BobDunahugh wrote on Fri, 10 February 2017 09:24
> I have an original one out of my 78. With about 1000hrs on it. Runs fine. Very clean. What's one of these worth? Can bring it to a GMCMI event.
> Bob Dunahugh
Jim Miller can find it a good home.
--
73 23' Sequoia 4 Sale
73 23' CanyonLands Parts Unit 4 Sale
Upper Alabama
"When I grow up I am going to be a curmudgeon."

A.

Feb 10, 2017, 12:11:47 PM2/10/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Glenbrook75 wrote on Fri, 10 February 2017 10:29
> ...it has sat for so many years ... I thought it would be a throw away ...
Nope. If all else fails, get it to Jim Miller in Ohio and he will either breathe new life into it, or make sure that nothing on it goes to waste.

They are worth expending some effort to keep them in service.
--
73 23' Sequoia 4 Sale
73 23' CanyonLands Parts Unit 4 Sale
Upper Alabama
"When I grow up I am going to be a curmudgeon."

Terry

Feb 10, 2017, 1:06:45 PM2/10/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Thanks I am impressed how the community trades stuff around I will make sure if I can't get it going I will make it available to others.
--
Terry
75 Glenbrook

Bob Dunahugh

Feb 10, 2017, 8:10:15 PM2/10/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
I also have two 7000 watt Onans. Those are 110/220 volt. We have an elevator in our house for Linda. So I'm going to install one of them for any power outages. So Linda can't get trapped. I trust a 40 year Onan more then a new one from China. I'd sell the extra 7000 watt unit. Bob Dunahugh

.

________________________________

Ken Burton

Feb 10, 2017, 9:54:06 PM2/10/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
There are 2 of them in Brandon (I have forgotten their names) and one just east of Winnipeg in Oak Bank.
--
Ken Burton - N9KB
76 Palm Beach

James Hupy

Feb 10, 2017, 9:57:34 PM2/10/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Carol Grey or Gray in Winnepeg. Don't know her address.
Jim Hupy
Salem, Or
78 GMC ROYALE 403

Brian Waddell

Feb 17, 2017, 6:18:18 PM2/17/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
I am near winnipeg....but I do not know what your conversation is about...can you enlighten me....Brian 77 ele 455

________________________________
Feb 17, 2017, 11:02:11 PM2/17/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Hi Brian I just bought my gmc Glenbrook 75 from Rob Horton in Brandon I live in Dauphin
--
Terry
75 Glenbrook

Brian Waddell

Feb 18, 2017, 4:50:13 PM2/18/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Hi Terry...welcome to the clan...I live bout 45 min SW of winnipeg...have a 77 ele 455...never used it....spend what free time I have making it ready to use...been over 10 yrs...how much over I am not prepared to say...ha..ha...these guys and gals on here will help you immensely..I read this talk on this net about manitoba but somehow I missed what the initial conversation was about..Brian 77 ele 455...sperling..MB

________________________________
Feb 18, 2017, 11:15:33 PM2/18/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
My gen has not been functioning for several years the po had given up on it and disconnected it but left it in I assumed it would be worthless or too
expensive to fix so was asking about taking it out and building a storage compartment. Sounds like it is worth fixing so will give it a try once I get
it home

A.

Feb 19, 2017, 12:24:07 AM2/19/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Glenbrook75 wrote on Sat, 18 February 2017 22:14
> My gen has not been functioning for several years the po had given up on it and disconnected it but left it in I assumed it would be worthless or
> too expensive to fix so was asking about taking it out and building a storage compartment. Sounds like it is worth fixing so will give it a try once
> I get it home
Read here:

http://gmcmotorhome.info/generator.html#sleeping

When you get to the part that says "Jumper board terminal 9 to 5 & you should hear fuel pump & see fuel coming from pump." you need to understand that
the pump could take a long time to prime itself. It might not ever self-prime if the shut-off solenoid is stuck closed. You might want to try running
a line from the pump inlet to a gas can on the ground instead of expecting it to pull from the tank through the solenoid for the initial testing.

The gas that evaporated from the fuel pump and fuel shut-off solenoid might have left varnish in them, gluing them up so they won't work. I had to
remove and fill the fuel pump on my Onan with acetone and let it soak for a week before it freed up. I took the shut-off solenoid off and still don't
know if it will open up when it gets 12V applied to it. After that, I re-installed the pump and it after I primed it with a few ounces of gas, it
pumped the carb bowl full and stopped ticking. When I jumpered pin 5 to pin 9, it started up and ran and made 120VAC.

Once you get to the point that the pump is pushing gas into the carburetor, the carb needle valve might be stuck open, and then you will need to get
it freed up before you even push the "Start" switch.

My experience with gas engines is that a very high percentage of the time that you get fuel/air mix to the cylinders, they will run, no matter how
long they have been sitting.

That doesn't mean the 120VAC power generating section is going to work. But you have to get the engine running before you even put a voltmeter on it.

Let us know how it goes.
--
73 23' Sequoia 4 Sale
73 23' CanyonLands Parts Unit 4 Sale
Upper Alabama
"When I grow up I am going to be a curmudgeon."

Brian Waddell

Feb 19, 2017, 12:31:21 AM2/19/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Ok...now I know the story on mb....thanks...these netters are going to answer all your questions and solve any problems....Brian 77 ele 455

________________________________
Feb 19, 2017, 1:37:24 PM2/19/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Terry,
If you can do some of the analysing yourself we can figure out why it is
not working.
Starting from the basic, check the oil level, Strong battery, Small jumper
wire.
Contact me so I can guide you.
--
Jim Kanomata
Applied/GMC, Fremont,CA

Terry

Feb 19, 2017, 5:12:05 PM2/19/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Thanks Jim it will be a month or so before I get it home we have to have all vehicles saftied prior to being able to register and insure them so it is
at a mechanic friends who is pre safeting it so it will pass for sure it gets nasty if you fail a safety so always better to check and do the obvious
before it goes in. I know it needs cv boots so will have to consider at what point is it better to buy whole axle or even going to the 1 ton upgrade.

Johnny Bridges via Gmclist

Feb 19, 2017, 8:29:56 PM2/19/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Johnny Bridges
Terry, the boots aren't hard, they're just messy.

If you don't want high moly grease on your hands and clothes, buy a set of rebuilds from Kanomata and let his techs get dirty. Replace the axles, run
the thread chaser through the holes in the flanges, put a drop of blue LocTite on each bolt, and snug them up. Torque them to spec - I did 60 ft-lbs
and they've held. Replace the outer nut and torque it following the book procedure. Which is run it up to a specified torque, then advance it until
the next cotter pin hole lines up, pin it, and replace the grease cap.

Took me a day, plus ten minutes of Zhookoff's time to show me how to turn the wheels to get the driver's side axle in the hub.

--johnny

--
'76 23' transmode Norris upfit, 76 26' Eleganza(?) with beaucoup mods and add - ons.
Braselton, Ga.
"The road goes on forever, and the party never ends" --Robert Earl Keen

Terry

Feb 19, 2017, 10:33:45 PM2/19/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Thanks Johnny the young fellow checking it out and doing the presaftey is certainly willing to get dirty so more an issue of how long boots were
leaking and whether any damage done. Once he cuts the boots off and has a look it may make sense to buy the rebuilds Jims prices seem reasonable but
with the Canadian exchange rate and shipping maybe less so. This is certainly proving to be a learning adventure.
--
Terry
75 Glenbrook

Gary

Feb 20, 2017, 12:36:51 AM2/20/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
We recently moved to Reno, NV from Michigan last fall. Our coach is still back in Michigan. We will be returning to Michigan next summer to bring it back west.
Part of that journey back will include 2 weeks in the beginning of August visiting our daughter and her family in Boisevain Manitoba.
Would love to hook up with a fellow GMC compatriots from Manitoba.

Gary Coaster
1977 GMC Eleganza
GMCs...@gmail.com

Sent from my iPhone

Ken Henderson

Feb 20, 2017, 8:24:31 AM2/20/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Terry,

Following the manual's procedure for disassembling the inner CV is not
good, IMHO. Since the inner boots are generally in good condition, the
sheet metal cover with the boot attached need not be removed. Instead,
remove the clamp from the small end of the inner boot. Now, after removing
the outer CV, put that end on a board on the floor while holding the inner
CV directly above it. Lifting the axle by the inner CV and dropping the
assembly a few inches will cause the axle and CV to dislodge the sealing
disc from the back side of the mounting flange. Remove the circlip and the
CV from the axle.

HTH,

Ken H.
Americus, GA
'76 X-Birchaven w/Cad500/Howell EFI & EBL,
Manny Brakes & 1-Ton, etc., etc., etc.
www.gmcwipersetc.com

Terry

Feb 20, 2017, 10:47:16 AM2/20/17