[GMCnet] Sounds like

Johnny Bridges via Gmclist

Jul 13, 2017, 12:03:35 PM7/13/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Johnny Bridges
After listening to the coach rumble this morning - warming up for trans fluid fill and dipstick cal - we went up to the lake to walk the dogs and a
boat skipping by reminded me of two sounds we hadn't discussed here. Miss Budweiser (U - 12) haulin' ass down Guntersville lake flat out when I was a
kid - the days of Allison engines; and the class racer in a Sid Craft hydro with a mercury 60H with megaphones wound all the way up. Now they're
civilized, they hiss and purr. They go faster but we've lost something in the transition.

--johnny
--
76 26' Eleganza(?) with beaucoup mods and add - ons.
Braselton, Ga.

Matt Colie

Jul 13, 2017, 12:22:11 PM7/13/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Johnny Bridges wrote on Thu, 13 July 2017 11:57
> After listening to the coach rumble this morning - warming up for trans fluid fill and dipstick cal - we went up to the lake to walk the dogs and
> a boat skipping by reminded me of two sounds we hadn't discussed here. Miss Budweiser (U - 12) haulin' ass down Guntersville lake flat out when I
> was a kid - the days of Allison engines; and the class racer in a Sid Craft hydro with a mercury 60H with megaphones wound all the way up. Now
> they're civilized, they hiss and purr. They go faster but we've lost something in the transition.
>
> --johnny

In Detroit, I believe that the still call it the Thunder Boat Races, but years ago it was proposed that the name be changed to the Whistle Boat Races.
;)
Matt

--
Matt & Mary Colie - '73 Glacier 23 - Members GMCMI, GMCGL, GMCES
Electronically Controlled Quiet Engine Cooling Fan

Mike Sadlon

Jul 13, 2017, 12:31:57 PM7/13/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Johnny

Come on down to Florida a little early.

http://www.classicraceboatassoc.com/

We can have you hear those sounds again!

And there is always at least 1 GMC in the parking lot.

Dave

Jul 13, 2017, 1:08:48 PM7/13/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
U-12 is up her in Kent Wa.

http://thunderboats.ning.com/page/1967-u12-miss-budweiser

I used to sell (Mercury) parts to a former Miss Bud crew chief Dave Culley.

Dave L.
Lynnwood, Wa.
1973 23' former Painted Desert
1973 super rusty Super Beetle

Rob Mueller

Jul 13, 2017, 7:05:33 PM7/13/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Johnny,

I was watching the news the other evening and I think I heard that one of the major car manufacturers is going to be producing
nothing but electric cars by twenty something.

I'm sorry this is kinda half assed but I watch the news after dinner and I wind up checking my eyelids for holes quite often.

;-)

Regards,
Rob M.
Sydney, Australia
AUS '75 Avion - The Blue Streak TZE365V100428
USA '75 Avion - Double Trouble TZE365V100426
USA '77 Kingsley - TZE 267V100808

Gary Kosier

Jul 13, 2017, 7:26:17 PM7/13/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Rob,

That would be Volvo and, I believe, all 2019 and later.

Gary Kosier
77PB w/500Cad
Newark, Ohio

Jul 13, 2017, 8:28:43 PM7/13/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Johnny Bridges
Somebody's got to start the demand for infrastructure. Apro pos of which, if the infrastructure were there, hydrogen power is the move. Plenty of
it, and it gives off water. Acquire it via electrolysis from solar. Use part of the uninhabited dry West fror the solar arrays.

Mike Kelley

Jul 14, 2017, 12:23:52 PM7/14/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
To Johnny:
Solar power array should be on the wall tween U S & Mexico - plenty of sun, won't be in the way of a doggone thing, and would make wall pay for itself - Win Win
IMHO
Mike/The Corvair a holic
76 Eleganza II 26' (Tx. Coach)
78 Birchaven 23' - Selling in Sept.
78 Glenbrook 26' (Project)
76 Glenbrook 28' Stretch (IL. Coach)

Sent from my iPhone

Johnny Bridges via Gmclist

Jul 14, 2017, 1:44:37 PM7/14/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Johnny Bridges
Mike, it's a start, but I suspect we need substantially more area than that if it's gonna replace dinosaur fuels. The beauty of it is, the solar
cells produce DC at fairly low voltage and fairly high current which is what's needed for electrolysis. And it's true, takes more energy to separate
the gasses than you get from combining them, but the separation energy is very cheap relatively speaking. And there's lots.

Steve Southworth

Jul 14, 2017, 8:04:06 PM7/14/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Johnny Bridges wrote on Thu, 13 July 2017 19:27
> Somebody's got to start the demand for infrastructure. Apro pos of which, if the infrastructure were there, hydrogen power is the move. Plenty
> of it, and it gives off water. Acquire it via electrolysis from solar. Use part of the uninhabited dry West fror the solar arrays.
>
> --johnny

Many years ago I worked with hydrogen in an industrial setting. (Manufactured hydrogen atmospheric furnaces.). Also worked with LARGE generators that
used hydrogen as a coolant and atmosphere. Hydrogen is nasty scary stuff. You can't smell it. You can't see it burn. It is very explosive. It
must be stored at very high pressures.

If hydrogen fueled vehicles come to pass it will be very interesting to see what happens the first time a tank is punctured in a crash. Even if they
make the tanks and fueling systems idiot proof the world will just make better idiots.

At least with gasoline you can smell it and see it burning.
--
Steve Southworth
1974 Glacier TZE064V100150 (for workin on)

Thomas Phipps

Jul 14, 2017, 9:25:54 PM7/14/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Future Smart Cars will be all electric in US.
Tom, MS II
--
1975 GMC Avion
KA4CSG

Johnny Bridges via Gmclist

Jul 15, 2017, 9:00:45 AM7/15/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Johnny Bridges
You're gonna need a lot of electricity. You can make it cheaply, but you got to store it somehow. Using it to make a storable fuel seems sensible...
you can use the energy when you want rather than just when the sun shines. Interesting article in Discovery on electricity and blackouts. Not
reassuring at all.

Chris Geils via Gmclist

Jul 15, 2017, 11:22:33 AM7/15/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Chris Geils
There won't be a hydrogen powered car in my garage anytime soon. Hydrogen has many drawbacks. It's not plentiful as H2. It tends to stick to oxygen
or carbon. To separate from oxygen takes more energy than you recoup so what is the point other than you move the source of real energy consumption?
Pulling hydrogen off of carbon, well that doesn't solve the carbon problem, you might as well use oil.
Oh and the real reason to avoid hydrogen; as the smallest molecule it is really good at finding leaks in any container. Add to that a "range of
flammability" that has no equal. Hydrogen is flammable in almost any ratio with air (most HC fuels have a fairly narrow range). Pull your leaky
hydrogen car into a garage with a water heater, furnace or gas dryer and your house burns down!
--
Chris Geils - Twin Cities
1978 26' Kingsley w/ very few mods; Headers, Progressive Dynamics 9040, aux trans cooler, one repaint in stock colors, R134a, Al rad, 50k mi

James Hupy

Jul 15, 2017, 11:36:33 AM7/15/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
The real solution for fuels of the future is thermonuclear. Lob a couple
hundred back and forth between nation/states. That will reduce the demand
for any high tech devices like planes, trains, and automobiles. Won't need
anywhere near the amount of fossil fuels for industry or agriculture. Grim
to think about. Possible? You bet! Probable? Not my guess. Won't be much
need for GMC parts. Once read somewhere. No matter who starts WW 3, WW 4
will be fought with sticks and rocks.
Jim Hupy
Salem, Or
78 GMC ROYALE 403

On Jul 15, 2017 8:22 AM, "Chris Geils via Gmclist" <gmc...@list.gmcnet.org>

Johnny Bridges via Gmclist

Jul 15, 2017, 11:58:48 AM7/15/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Johnny Bridges
As I noted, takes more energy to separate - but the energy is plentiful and low cost. demonstrably, fuel cells work. The infrastructure ain't cheap,
but neither was the fossil infrastructure. If you build it, they will come... because the stuff needed for battery electrics may not be available in
sufficient quantity to build the current U.S. auto/truck fleet. Decades? Probably. Happen eventually? Probably.

James Hupy

Jul 15, 2017, 12:15:06 PM7/15/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
O.K. Here is one for you. Electric vehicles. Using today's technology. Lead
acid batteries that can be drained of electrolyte. Pull into a electrolyte
changing station much like a gas station of today. Drain out the discharged
electrolyte and replace it with freshly charged stuff. Drive on. If we
think on it, it is possible. Gasoline stations become centralized charging
stations.
Jim Hupy
Salem, OR
78 GMC Royale 403

Johnny Bridges via Gmclist

Jul 15, 2017, 12:42:24 PM7/15/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Johnny Bridges
Regardless what source of energy is finally used, there will be gas stations or their equivalent - unless we drop the number of private vehicles
substantially.

Daniel Jacobs

Jul 15, 2017, 3:02:07 PM7/15/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Is Volvo, now a days, not a part of a big Chinese multinational .... so they need to sell even more of their batteries ... :?

But serious, not only the lithiumbatteries are the way to go, now they start testing more and more the so called Super capacitors, extremely quick to
charge, so a "tankstop " would take only 30 seconds, plugging in and out would cost more time, and if they are able to create Super Capacitors with
extreme much capacity, it wil open new horizons ... beside of that they are extremely lightweight.

I saw already people starting up their cars with self made 12v Super Capacitors cranking "battery"
Search on youtube for videos.

Daniel
--
Daniel Jacobs, No GMC, but an admirer of them .... We'll see what the future brings ....

Always remember, the world is full of nice people!
So, if you can't find one, be one!

Matt Colie

Jul 15, 2017, 4:22:08 PM7/15/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
James Hupy wrote on Sat, 15 July 2017 12:14
> O.K. Here is one for you. Electric vehicles. Using today's technology. Lead acid batteries that can be drained of electrolyte. Pull into a
> electrolyte changing station much like a gas station of today. Drain out the discharged electrolyte and replace it with freshly charged stuff. Drive
> on. If we think on it, it is possible. Gasoline stations become centralized charging stations.
> Jim Hupy
> Salem, OR
> 78 GMC Royale 403

Jim,

Sorry to tell you about this, but your plan has a weak point.

In current lead/acid technology, it is not just the electrolyte that is depleted. The chemical composition of the plates is actually changed. That
is the way the technology started in the 19th century and what is amazing is that there have been only minimal real improvements in all this time.
The fact that newer batteries have more capacity than the older did is really only improvements in manufacturing processes.

Matt

--
Matt & Mary Colie - '73 Glacier 23 - Members GMCMI, GMCGL, GMCES
Electronically Controlled Quiet Engine Cooling Fan
OE Rear Drum Brakes with Applied Control Arms
SE Michigan - Twixt A2 and Detroit

James Hupy

Jul 15, 2017, 4:50:46 PM7/15/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Matt, I knew that. The plates absorb stuff that needs to be driven out by
charging the batteries. O.K. how about standard battery packs like a
cordless drill. Drive in, out comes the fork lift with the fresh battery
pack, drive off. Just a thought.
Jim Hupy

Johnny Bridges via Gmclist

Jul 15, 2017, 5:02:54 PM7/15/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Johnny Bridges
An electrolytic capacitor is a battery with a very low equivalent series resistance, or a storage battery is a very large electrolytic capacitor with
very high equivalent series resistance, take your pick. Jim Hupy, as an object lesson, take two lawn mower batteries, charge both. Run one down,
then swap electrolytes. repeat. Charge the one which isn't being run down,. Repeat. Report back how many cycles the batteries are capable of.

DOS Tip: It won't be very many.

Emery Stora

Jul 15, 2017, 5:18:22 PM7/15/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
The Tesla already offers a service to replace the battery pak. The range is 250 to 350 depending on your option.

They have a charging station halfway between San Francisco and Los Angeles. One could stop at the charging station and go to lunch while the battery is charging (about 1 hour). This is a free charge. Or you can pay $70 and they will change out the battery and replace it with a fully charged one. It takes 90 seconds.

You can pick up your charged battery on the way back home.

I have a friend in Longmont that recently bought a Telsa model S. With all the options he purchased it cost about $140,000.
What is that 7 to 14 decent GMCs?
He has the auto pilot , self parking, 240 and 120 volt chargers and other things. It has front and rear and side sensors which apply brakes and self steers to avoid collisions. It even backs out of the garage with a push of a button on a remote. After it goes off to park itself you retrieve it by pushing another button and it'll drive itself back from wherever it's parked to the place where you pushed the button. It also automatically parallel parks.

A bit pricy but it's a beautiful car and rides super smooth. 0 to 60 in about 2.5 seconds.

Emery Stora
77 Kingsley
Frederick, CO

Matt Colie

Jul 15, 2017, 8:12:17 PM7/15/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
James Hupy wrote on Sat, 15 July 2017 16:50
> Matt, I knew that. The plates absorb stuff that needs to be driven out by charging the batteries. O.K. how about standard battery packs like a
> cordless drill. Drive in, out comes the fork lift with the fresh battery pack, drive off. Just a thought.
> Jim Hupy

Jim,

Some one proposed this during the Clinton times when he was trying to push a plan just like this. The idea was to have standard battery packs and
garages at regular intervals.

It never got off the ground for at least these two reasons that I recall:
The vehicle range was only about 50 miles. And
The weight of the battery banks (L/A then) was so high that it crippled the vehicle payload.

Mary's Canadian cousin (husband actually) has a Tesla and loves it. So far, there (Tesla's) super charger stations are working out well for him. He
even tows there A-liner with it.

Peer Oliver Schmidt

Jul 16, 2017, 11:52:11 AM7/16/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Matt,
> Some one proposed this during the Clinton times when he was trying to push a plan just like this. The idea was to have standard battery packs and
> garages at regular intervals.

Better Places, originally Israelian company, created those stations, and
worked together with the likes of Nissan. Unfortunately, they were a bit
too early and folded a year or two ago.

--
Best regards

Peer Oliver Schmidt
the internet company
PGP Key ID: 0x83E1C2EA

Jerry Burt

Jul 16, 2017, 1:07:29 PM7/16/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Fox is currently televising the Formula New York City Eprix. I imagine this would be the current state of development in electrical technology.
--
Patti & Jerry Burt
73 Gmc 26' Canyon Lands -

Charles Boyd

Jul 16, 2017, 3:46:59 PM7/16/17
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Pretty cool.. when battery gets low, swap cars. Pit stops are minimum 40 seconds.

pjburt wrote on Sun, 16 July 2017 13:06
> Fox is currently televising the Formula New York City Eprix. I imagine this would be the current state of development in electrical technology.

--
C. Boyd
76 Crestmont