[GMCnet] Das Boot

Johnny Bridges via Gmclist

Nov 18, 2016, 4:04:35 PM11/18/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Johnny Bridges
No, not the movie - although if you haven't seen it, rent it and watch. I jacked the front of the 26' up to pop off the drivers wheel whose new tire
is losing air and found gobs of nice clean Syntek or something like all over the lower control arm and elsewhere close by. The boot, which looks new,
is dimpled as though it didn't sit correctly for whatever reason. At any rate, after I got all the grease off it - or at least enough to feel the
boot itself, there's a finger sized hole in one of the inner creases. A bit of conversation with Jimmy the K and a bit of advice, and there's a new
boot on the way. I have a can of Syntek I packed the new rear bearings with to use. After discussion of the split boots, I'll go ahead and yank the
axle out and put an OEM on it and replace. The splits do well as long as you don't turn tight too often... but moving around my yard and shop
requires lock - to - lock turns quite often, leading me to the conclusion that a bit of time spentwill pay off six months from now when the OEM is
still sound but the split would have failed. They worked great on the swing axles on my VW bus though.
If it ain't one thing it's another. Jim also advised checking the timing and stepping it out a couple of degrees with the MSD injection system in
hopes of improving fuel mileage. He's adamant that the 3.70 doesn't degrade the mileage so there must be something else going on here.

--johnny
--
'76 23' transmode Norris upfit, 76 26' Eleganza(?) with beaucoup mods and add - ons.
Braselton, Ga.

"Sometimes I wonder what tomorrow's gonna bring when I think about my dirty life and times" --Warren Zevon

Charles Boyd

Nov 18, 2016, 5:34:38 PM11/18/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Hi Johnny..
I do not put inner bands on for that reason. They won't leak and it gives the boot room to flex.

Johnny Bridges wrote on Fri, 18 November 2016 16:03

--
C. Boyd
76 Crestmont

Johnny Bridges via Gmclist

Nov 19, 2016, 9:11:20 AM11/19/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Johnny Bridges
This one didn't have inner bands. I've no idea why it pulled in on a couple of the ridges, but it did. You'd expect that if it were twisted at
install, but without the inner band it ought to untwist. We'll see how the new one does and go from there. New front brake pads in the offing... as
you pointed out, these are too soft. Dust everywhere.

Charles Boyd

Nov 19, 2016, 9:56:39 AM11/19/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
I have noticed a pattern on boot failure. Seems time is involved. I have done ~ 10 this year and all were replaced within 2-3 years ago. After you
get the outer band on move the joint side to side. The inner part of the boot moves in and out and tugs on the boot if banded.

Johnny Bridges wrote on Sat, 19 November 2016 09:10

--
C. Boyd
76 Crestmont

James Schulte

Nov 19, 2016, 9:53:24 PM11/19/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
I had the local mechanic replace both all boots and after I got home left front outside boot was sliced open about 3 inches after driving 3 miles.
Close observation revealed in steering linkage a cotter key just above the boot which was bent in such a manner the key could turn and one side was
polished like it had sliced the boot. I am no mechanic and this is just my observation. I also checked the other side and trimmed and bent the
cotter key to preclude this happening.

Jim 23ft 1977 Birchaven in progress

Jim Kanomata

Nov 19, 2016, 11:25:06 PM11/19/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Mechanics are good or bad.
Taken it back and make them do it N/C.

On Sat, Nov 19, 2016 at 6:52 PM, James Schulte <jimin...@iowatelecom.net>
wrote:
--
Jim Kanomata
Applied/GMC, Fremont,CA

Johnny Bridges via Gmclist

Nov 20, 2016, 3:23:16 PM11/20/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Johnny Bridges
So, what I done was, I unbolted the axle from the flange on the differential, and then called two Gurus. Advice: Turn the wheels all the way to the
left lock, jack the control arm up for the best clearance of the axle stub, almost level. That got the stub out of the steering knuckle. Now I got
the axle loose at both ends. It looks like a 3 - D jigsaw puzzle. A bit of measuring shows it ain't coming out without removing something. The
outer tie rod end looked the easiest, so I loosened the castellated nut, whacked the schiess out of the knuckle with a dead blow hammer, and it tapped
out with a soft faced hammer. The axle slipped right out. Fortunately I have a set of snap ring pliers which are reversible so I got the outer CV
assembly right off the axle shaft after removing the boot in a destructive manner (box cutter and dikes for the straps). I got all the grease out of
it, inspection shows it to be either new or close - looks new and unmarked anyway. As soon as the boot gets here, I'll pack it full of Syntek grease
and re - assemble the whole thing using new flange bolts since several of these were finger tight which beat up the threads where they pass through
the inner CV housing. I'll run a thread chaser through the flange threads, and the new bolts will get blue Loc-Tite<tm> to keep them in place. Given
their (lack of) tightness, I'm gonna be proactive and replace the other side bolts as well unless they're torqued up yet, which I doubt. I propose to
be finished by Wednesday. Thursday is the middle of the Haollowgivingmassevehashana holiday and our anniversary (47 years) and the remainder of the
weekend is shows in Montgomery.
This means the three Onan boards I have in hand for repair will be a couple of weeks yet. Reportedly, they're all spares, the sets are running, so it
isn't a great problem.

Johnny Bridges via Gmclist

Nov 21, 2016, 5:11:15 PM11/21/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Johnny Bridges
The boot got here from Applied along with packing grease and band clamps. I got bolts. Driver's side axle will appear on my coach tomorrow. Since I
bought sufficient bolts for the passenger side, I figured mights well to look. I'm glad I did, the outer boot is old and cracked, it wasn't redone
when the driver's side was. Sigh. So, after the driver's side goes on, passenger side comes off. Since I have on hand a boot for the inner CV, I'll
repack it and do both ends, now both axles will be redone, new boots, new grease. At least I hadn't ought to have to worry over them any time soon.

Now all that's left is the frickin' Jasper engine. Anybody got a core 455 I can have for cheap? I'll break it down and take the parts down to John
Beavers for a proper rebuild and the coach will be mechanically all new. Failing that, I suspect I can jack the Jasper one up, yank the oil pan, and
fit it with a high volume pump and get back the pressure it oughta have.

Ken Henderson

Nov 21, 2016, 8:22:39 PM11/21/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Johnny Bridges
Johnny,

What parts of a 455 do you need? While at the farm collecting 4 FD's for
Alex Ferrara last week I noticed that I still have a block, with bearing
caps, that's just in the way. If your basic block is bad and other core
parts good, that might help. Should I drag it down to John's for him to
check condition?

Ken H.

Johnny Bridges via Gmclist

Nov 22, 2016, 9:39:44 AM11/22/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Johnny Bridges
PM sent.

Johnny Bridges via Gmclist

Nov 22, 2016, 9:40:43 AM11/22/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Johnny Bridges
And I got another tip from one of the gurus. Swap sides with the axles, so the wear faces are reversed. I'll be doing that.

Johnny Bridges via Gmclist

Nov 23, 2016, 5:29:58 PM11/23/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Johnny Bridges
Welol, damn. As you may know, I am allowed three Johnny's Minor Efup and one major efup per project. I got the axles rebooted and reassembled, ready
to install. I had a Dorman and got an OEM from Applied. It is possible to get the Dorman universal one on and banded, but the OEM is enough easier
to make it worth the few dollars difference in price. Anyway, both axles together, boots banded nicely, flanges and their threads cleaned and ready
for the new bolts. I decided life would be simpler if I relocated the cribbing from the crossmember to the frame rails behind the wheels, giving me
more room to work and less chance of bumping the cribbing. This led to Johnny's Major Efup for this project.
The jack slipped. My safety cribbing caught the coach before anything got crushed under it... and I surely wasn't even close to under it while I'm
jacking on it. However, one of the safety crib beams slipped forward under the radiator frame. This destroyed the radiator. I can straighten the
frame without a lot of trouble, but I need a radiator, this one (aluminum) isn't fixable. Does anyone have an old one they removed in favor of an
aluminum new one? I can get another aluminum one, but I'd really rather have an original and let Sims recore it with the better core.

Help!

--johnny
--
'76 23' transmode Norris upfit, 76 26' Eleganza(?) with beaucoup mods and add - ons.
Braselton, Ga.
"The road goes on forever, and the party never ends" --Robert Earl Keen

Rob Mueller

Nov 23, 2016, 6:46:16 PM11/23/16
to Johnny Bridges via Gmclist
Johnny,

Unfortunately I don't have an OEM radiator, however, I would like to have your crushed aluminum rad. I'd like to test the pressure
drop through the oil cooler when I check an OEM cooler in an OEM radiator.

How much do you want for it?

Regards,
Rob

Johnny Bridges via Gmclist

Nov 23, 2016, 6:59:33 PM11/23/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Johnny Bridges
Rob -
Whatever it weighs for scrap aluminum. Let me point out, though, you may not want to use this particular one for oil cooler tests. The oil cooler is
disconnected and the coach has an outboard pair of coolers, one with a fan. This radiator was in it when Neil lunched the first Jasper mill, and is
therefore untrustworthy - it probably has tidbits of that engine in it. That being said, if you want in, come get it. Or I can haul it to Orlando
next month. Or I can haul it to Save The Sun next August. Or whatever.

--johnny
--
'76 23' transmode Norris upfit, 76 26' Eleganza(?) with beaucoup mods and add - ons.
Braselton, Ga.
"The road goes on forever, and the party never ends" --Robert Earl Keen

Kingsley Coach

Nov 23, 2016, 7:08:34 PM11/23/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Rob,Rob,Rob...off net means no one else knows what you are saying because
you have to actually go Off Net <VBG>
I don't have an alum rad, but if I did I'd sell it to you...<g>

Mike in NS

On Wed, Nov 23, 2016 at 7:44 PM, Rob Mueller <robmu...@iinet.net.au>
wrote:
--
Michael Beaton
1977 Kingsley 26-11

Life is too short to hold a grudge; slash some tires and call it even !

Johnny Bridges via Gmclist

Nov 23, 2016, 8:20:26 PM11/23/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Johnny Bridges
Off net? What am I missing here?

--johnny
--
'76 23' transmode Norris upfit, 76 26' Eleganza(?) with beaucoup mods and add - ons.
Braselton, Ga.
"The road goes on forever, and the party never ends" --Robert Earl Keen

Matt Colie

Nov 23, 2016, 8:43:28 PM11/23/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Kingsley Coach wrote on Wed, 23 November 2016 19:07
> Rob,Rob,Rob...off net means no one else knows what you are saying because
> you have to actually go Off Net
> I don't have an alum rad, but if I did I'd sell it to you...
>
> Mike in NS
> --
> Michael Beaton
> Antigonish, NS

Mike,

Rob does know how to work "off net".
I think we can forgive him for missing a key sequence.

Matt
--
Matt & Mary Colie - Members GMCMI, GMCGL, GMCES
'73 Glacier 23 - Still Loving OE Rear Drum Brake with Applied Control Arms

Ken Henderson

Nov 23, 2016, 8:44:43 PM11/23/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Johnny,

I missed your original message so I'm a bit late to the party. Two weeks
or so ago I gave John Beaver my AL-replaced OEM rad to replace his OEM with
green streaks. He hasn't installed yet, but would probably be willing to
since you want to recore anyway. Call him.

Ken H.

Rob Mueller

Nov 23, 2016, 9:50:35 PM11/23/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Johnny,

Done deal, just hang on to it, maybe we can find someone from your neck of the woods that will attend the GMCMI Convention in
Shawnee Oklahoma next spring and will schlep it there for me.

Actually the fact it came out of a GMC that the engine blew up in pleases me! I'll have it cleaned by a shop with one of these:

http://www.hotflusher.com/automotive/Jay-Leno-Hot-Flush.cfm

And tell them to retain the crap they get out of it.

Regards,
Rob

Rob Mueller

Nov 23, 2016, 9:53:40 PM11/23/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Mike,

DOUH!

Sure glad I didn't write anything controversial!

Regards,
Rob M.
The Pedantic Mechanic
USAussie - Downunder
AUS '75 Avion - The Blue Streak TZE365V100428
USA '75 Avion - Double Trouble TZE365V100426
USA '77 Kingsley - TZE 267V100808

Rob,Rob,Rob...off net means no one else knows what you are saying because you have to actually go Off Net <VBG>

I don't have an alum rad, but if I did I'd sell it to you...<g>

Mike in NS

Rob Mueller

Nov 23, 2016, 9:56:18 PM11/23/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Matt,

Rob knows how to do a LOT of things; unfortunately he is discovering he's forgetting more and more each day. ;-)

Regards,
Rob M.
The Pedantic Mechanic
USAussie - Downunder
AUS '75 Avion - The Blue Streak TZE365V100428
USA '75 Avion - Double Trouble TZE365V100426
USA '77 Kingsley - TZE 267V100808

Nov 24, 2016, 5:48:49 AM11/24/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
God's Plan For Aging

Most seniors never get enough exercise. In His wisdom God decreed that
seniors become forgetful so they would have to search for their glasses,
keys and other things thus doing more walking. And God looked down and saw
that it was good.

Then God saw there was another need. In His wisdom He made seniors lose
coordination so they would drop things requiring them to bend, reach &
stretch. And God looked down and saw that it was good.

Then God considered the function of bladders and decided seniors would have
additional calls of nature requiring more trips to the bathroom, thus
providing more exercise. God looked down and saw that it was good.

So if you find as you age, you are getting up and down more, remember it’s
God’s will. It is all in your best interest even though you mutter under
your breath.

--
Bruce Hart
1976 Palm Beach

Peer Oliver Schmidt GMC

Nov 24, 2016, 7:11:06 AM11/24/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Bruce,

thank you for writing down those words. Even if I call myself an
Atheist, it was still a very nice read. Thanks.

--
Best regards

Peer Oliver Schmidt
PGP Key ID: 0x83E1C2EA

'76a Eleganza II, VA

Johnny Bridges via Gmclist

Nov 24, 2016, 10:02:12 AM11/24/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Johnny Bridges
Fast update -
Due to the generosity of a local GMCer, I have a stock radiator. It will go to Sims with directions to recore with the higher capacity core they put
in my 23' radiator. Thanks to all for offers, and thanks Dave!!!!!

--johnny

--
'76 23' transmode Norris upfit, 76 26' Eleganza(?) with beaucoup mods and add - ons.
Braselton, Ga.
"The road goes on forever, and the party never ends" --Robert Earl Keen

Johnny Bridges via Gmclist

Nov 30, 2016, 5:15:05 PM11/30/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Johnny Bridges
Raining here like a tall cow whizzin' on a flat rock as we say. Badly needed, too, but it precludes reinstalling the axles and the radiator. Which
radiator I just picked up from Sims - I'm 700 bux lighter and it looks brand new. While everything is out of the front, I'll take some pictures of
the new fan setup which Applied will be stocking. You don't have to remove the radiator to install it, but since it's out I can get better pics of
the installation. Temp operated viscous electric clutch with an override switch. Totally suave.

--johnny
--
'76 23' transmode Norris upfit, 76 26' Eleganza(?) with beaucoup mods and add - ons.
Braselton, Ga.
"The road goes on forever, and the party never ends" --Robert Earl Keen

Rob Mueller

Dec 2, 2016, 7:21:57 PM12/2/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Johnny Bridges
I can't get the ex passenger side axle in on the driver's side. I suspect because the back cover for the inner joint is sticking out a bit, the depth
of the edge of the inner flange. So it went back on the passenger side. I took a thread chaser through all the holes in the flange, then larded up
my new bolts with blue Permatex and torqued 'em down. My heathen chinee torque wrench only goes to 150, so when it clicked on the outer bolt I took a
look, it was just beginning to cover one of the cotter pin holes. By holding the mirror and the arm for the awning, I eased it up to the next hole.
I figure 200 pounds of my fat ass on a breaker bar was over 180 and under 280. At any rate, it's pinned, dust cover and wheel on, and I will try to
fit the original axle to the driver's side. I got it outa there, I oughta could get it back. If I get skunked I'll call Zhookoff. I have most of
his tools anyway, and he's done this several times before. My axle removal/replacement experience is limited to VW Jettas.

Ken Henderson

Dec 2, 2016, 8:03:03 PM12/2/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Johnny Bridges
Johnny,

For the benefit of others: You just didn't find quite the right hole to
push the inner end of the axle into. I've done many axle swaps and never
had any real trouble getting them in or out -- and it's NOT necessary to
remove the oil filter nor the starter. It's been a CRS while, so I can't
tell anyone just how to manipulate the axles, but it CAN be done without
removing the knuckle or loosening it. It IS necessary, in my experience,
to remove the related shock.

Ken H.

On Fri, Dec 2, 2016 at 7:21 PM, Johnny Bridges via Gmclist <
gmc...@list.gmcnet.org> wrote:

> I can't get the ex passenger side axle in on the driver's side. I suspect
> because the back cover for the inner joint is sticking out a bit, the depth
> of the edge of the inner flange. So it went back on the passenger side.
> I took a thread chaser through all the holes in the flange, then larded up
> my new bolts with blue Permatex and torqued 'em down. My heathen chinee
> torque wrench only goes to 150, so when it clicked on the outer bolt I took
> look, it was just beginning to cover one of the cotter pin holes. By
> holding the mirror and the arm for the awning, I eased it up to the next
> hole.
> I figure 200 pounds of my fat ass on a breaker bar was over 180 and under
> 280. At any rate, it's pinned, dust cover and wheel on, and I will try to
> fit the original axle to the driver's side. I got it outa there, I oughta
> could get it back. If I get skunked I'll call Zhookoff. I have most of
> his tools anyway, and he's done this several times before. My axle
> removal/replacement experience is limited to VW Jettas.

Larry

Dec 3, 2016, 11:07:52 AM12/3/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Rob, You have mine....remember? Don't need to buy another. I'm bringing it to Shawnee....or am I?

USAussie wrote on Wed, 23 November 2016 17:44
--
Larry
78 Royale w/500 Caddy

Johnny Bridges via Gmclist

Dec 3, 2016, 11:55:19 AM12/3/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Johnny Bridges
You two let me know. I can haul it to Bound's or let it hang here in the scrap pile. I'm not going to Shawnee, I've already been there.

Todd Sullivan

Dec 3, 2016, 1:59:38 PM12/3/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Not off net

Rob Mueller

Dec 3, 2016, 3:53:32 PM12/3/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Larry,

Since this went out to the net I'm going to respond so people will understand what's going on. Yes, please bring the radiator and
fuel pumps to Shawnee.

The reason I want the oil coolers from Johnny's aluminum radiator is to measure the pressure drop through the engine oil cooler and
compare it to the OEM cooler.

More information for curious minds.

Awhile back I made a presentation at a GMCMI Convention showing that as long as you install the correct oil filter in a 455 /403 (no
built in bypass) and it is functioning properly there is no way that oil flowing out of the engine to the engine oil cooler in the
radiator can get back into a 455 or 403 Oldsmobile without passing through the oil filter. Oil leaving the engine can bypass the
engine oil cooler in the radiator and filter by going through the bypass in the oil filter adapter that bolts directly to the side
of the engine. I was asked "then why do quality rebuilt engines fail after low mileage?" My response was that the bypass in the
engine oil filter adapter in a 455/403 in a GMC opens at 5.3 to 6.3 psi which is the same as a Toronado installation. The Toronado
never had a radiator engine oil cooler (it did have a transmission fluid cooler). The pressure drop in a GMC through the hoses to
the oil cooler, oil cooler, and return is higher than in a Toronado and it is possible that the bypass is open more and for longer
periods of time in the GMC. Add the fact that these vehicles are over 30 years old and there has to be an accumulation of crud in
the oil cooler which would increase the pressure drop. Then add the pressure drop caused by the crud from a blown engine into the
equation and you may have a situation where the bypass in the oil filter adapter is great enough to keep the bypass open even more.
Newly rebuilt engines generate a lot of contaminants while they are run in. If the bypass stays open those contaminants are fed
right back into the engine. I purchased a differential pressure gage and flow meter to run tests on a newly rebuilt engine at Tom
Pryor's last summer, unfortunately that didn't happen for various reasons. I shipped the test gear to Manny's with a view to do the
testing there unfortunately the same thing happened and the testing wasn't done but for different reasons. I WILL figger out a way
to do the testing!

For additional information see;

http://www.gmcmhphotos.com/photos/g6398-455-2f-403-engine-oil-flow-path.html

and:

http://www.gmcmhphotos.com/photos/g6805-oem-engine-26amp-3b-trans-oil-coolers.html

Regards,
Rob M.
The Pedantic Mechanic
USAussie - Downunder
AUS '75 Avion - The Blue Streak TZE365V100428
USA '75 Avion - Double Trouble TZE365V100426
USA '77 Kingsley - TZE 267V100808

Dec 3, 2016, 3:54:21 PM12/3/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Johnny Bridges
Well, after RF&RA (Rage, Frustration, and Random Action) George was kind enough to buzz up and give me advice and a hand with the driver side axle.
He had nice jeans and a denim shirt and I asked him "where's your sloppies" and he says he doesn't propose to get greasy. I gave him a set of gloves
and he said turn the wheel this way and then move the inner flange up there and over there and sha-chunk and the axle is in the hub. Maybe five
minutes, no more, and he didn't get greasy or dirty. Thanks, George, I can take it from here. Never underestimate experience.
The new radiator is next!

Zhookoff, George

Dec 3, 2016, 5:32:57 PM12/3/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Johnny Bridges
Piece O Cake!
George

Johnny Bridges via Gmclist

Dec 6, 2016, 5:11:05 PM12/6/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Johnny Bridges
This nine pound hammer - is a little too heavy - for my size.... but it's perfect for taking the bent radiator frame back to the shape it started in.
I appreciate subtlety in all things, but brute force has its place as well. It's a little lumpy here and there, and there's the occasional wrinkle
in the side rail, but the radiator sits in it properly on the pads, the twist is gone out of it, and tomorrow I'll bolt it back in the coach and hook
everything back up. I got sidetracked this evening, the part for the non-functional furnace shpwed up. We are now ready for the cold snap due
tomorrow evening. I have a 240 volt a/c/furnace. 240v scavenge blowers are a bit over $200. 120v scavenge blowers are 39 dollars. The 29.95 500
watt stepdown transformer arrived today from Amazon. It's a condensing furnace, the scavenge blower wheels even hot dipped rust up and fall apart
every few years. If I can find a jobber for Beckett Air I can source a couple of new wheels, and epoxy the daylights out of them and soldier on.