Re: [GMCnet] Mini Blinds

Jon Roche

Dec 5, 2016, 10:44:08 PM12/5/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Been told tge ones tgat need to fir behind the cabnets, should be thinner. A little harder to find, but still available. I want to say 3/4".
But it has been a while since I had researched so I may be wrong on that number.
--
Jon Roche
75 palm beach

George Rudawsky

Dec 5, 2016, 11:13:54 PM12/5/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Jim Bounds was able to get me some for my coach several years ago. You will need to fabricate side valences to make them work well, but it's not too
hard and plenty folks have posted photos on their coaches.
--
George Rudawsky
Chicago, IL

Terry

Dec 5, 2016, 11:26:22 PM12/5/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
I got the 1 inch mini blinds from Roses/Maxway to fit behind the cabinets. Had to remove the cabinets to put them up there. The hard part is finding a
substantial mounting place for the bottom of the shade because they will be in constant tension from gravity and the tension you place on the setup to
keep the shades tight. The plastic trim around the windows is strong enough if you drill the proper size holes for the tiny screws that come with the
shades. Sometimes there was aluminum behind the trim where I needed to attach the bottom brackets. Make sure you select a brand that comes with bottom
brackets. I fastened the top brackets to the bottom of the wooden spacers that the cabinets are mounted to. A 30 plus a 35 inch do the front large
windows, 24 for the door, 30 for the two rears and the window behind the sink. Measure 4 times if necessary :) Hopefully the two 35s will do the back
window without binding or missing coverage. Haven't put those up yet.
--
Terry Kelpien

ASE Master Technician

Smithfield, Va.

Rob Mueller

Dec 5, 2016, 11:30:51 PM12/5/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
G'day,

Here's a REAL clever valence:

http://www.gmcmhphotos.com/photos/aa-miscellaneous-photos/p32919-venetian-blind-valence.html

Regards,
Rob M.
The Pedantic Mechanic
USAussie - Downunder
AUS '75 Avion - The Blue Streak TZE365V100428
USA '75 Avion - Double Trouble TZE365V100426
USA '77 Kingsley - TZE 267V100808

Ken Henderson

Dec 6, 2016, 12:20:55 AM12/6/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
I strongly encourage anyone looking for blinds to at least investigate the
cellular blinds. Ours, from Hunter-Douglas, have served wonderfully since
1999. They have an aluminum lining inside the cells so that they pass NO
light when closed. They also have a very high R-factor so that they vastly
improve the insulation of the coach from outside heat or cold. Add to that
their durability and cleanliness and you have an unequalled window
dressing. Ours have only rarely been "feather dusted", yet always look
clean and have, after numerous exposures to minor leaks shown no damage at
all. Compared to trying to keep venetian blinds clean, one could say they
never need cleaning.

If they have a shortcoming, it is that they have no intermediate setting.
I understand that there is a current model which can be lowered from the
top, giving mostly privacy, but still admitting some light; that would
often be useful.

SHE has never let me see the Home Depot invoice for these blinds, but
whatever they cost 'way back then has certainly been well repaid.

Ken H.

Bruce Hislop

Dec 6, 2016, 6:59:32 AM12/6/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Guske's make shades to fit our coaches.
http://www.bdub.net/guske/index.html

--
Bruce Hislop
ON Canada

Jeanette Hodges

Dec 6, 2016, 8:51:54 AM12/6/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
I understand the new blinds do not have all these problems n stay close to the window. I've seen them in a coach. We just got a new set from Guske but haven't installed yet.

Sent from my iPhone

Kelvin Dietz

Dec 6, 2016, 8:20:58 PM12/6/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Who has the info on those cellular blinds that adjust from top and bottom?

My wife has been wanting those for years. After the FiTech fuel
injection and a new senstized brake booster I should consider spending
money on something she's wishing for.

I know the info is out there... I just wasn't paying attention the first
dozen times around.

Kelvin
'73 23' in Eugene, OR

On 12/5/2016 9:19 PM, Ken Henderson wrote:
> I strongly encourage anyone looking for blinds to at least investigate the
> cellular blinds. Ours, from Hunter-Douglas, have served wonderfully since
> 1999. They have an aluminum lining inside the cells so that they pass NO
> light when closed. They also have a very high R-factor so that they vastly
> improve the insulation of the coach from outside heat or cold. Add to that
> their durability and cleanliness and you have an unequalled window
> dressing. Ours have only rarely been "feather dusted", yet always look
> clean and have, after numerous exposures to minor leaks shown no damage at
> all. Compared to trying to keep venetian blinds clean, one could say they
> never need cleaning.
>
> If they have a shortcoming, it is that they have no intermediate setting.
> I understand that there is a current model which can be lowered from the
> top, giving mostly privacy, but still admitting some light; that would
> often be useful.
>
> SHE has never let me see the Home Depot invoice for these blinds, but
> whatever they cost 'way back then has certainly been well repaid.
>
> Ken H.

Ken Henderson

Dec 6, 2016, 8:51:04 PM12/6/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Kelvin,

A Google, eBay, or Amazon for "cellular blinds" will show LOTS of sources;
this is just one:
www.blinds.com

Ours are by Hunter-Douglas, but they were, AFAIK, one of the few making
them at that time. Some of the specs I'd insist on are double cells,
aluminum lining, and coated (waterproof/resistant) material. Without any
one of those, I don't think we'd be nearly as satified as we've been.

I know nothing about the stringing/control arrangement for the top/down
operating ones, but it was not until this year that I replaced the first of
the cords in one of the 5 blinds in our coach -- but they are not under
constant tension as are some I've seen (which I'd avoid anyway because they
can't follow the wall contour).

HTH,

Ken H.

Dan Borlase

Dec 7, 2016, 12:42:50 AM12/7/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
I have had venetian blinds for 8 years and I can assure you that they are crap...
Now we have cell blinds form our local box store and to my surprise they work well beyond that of the junk venetians. They hold in the warmth in cold
situations and fend off the heat in the "heat"!

Measure what you want and go for it....don't be intimidated!

Dan who makes all the mistakes and learns...!

RC Jordan

Dec 7, 2016, 7:05:24 AM12/7/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
We have JimB's metal mini-blinds and valances. They vanes are 1" or less. They do a very good job for privacy and light control, a fair job of
reflecting some of the heat gain from strong sunlight, and a lousy job of insulating from the cold. I hid an led strip with a dimmer in the upper
cavity behind the cabinets and the metal vanes do a good job as a reflector for the lighting.
--
77 Royale Coachmen Side Dry Bath
76 Birchaven Coachmen Side Wet Bath

Johnny Bridges via Gmclist

Dec 7, 2016, 9:23:30 AM12/7/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org, Johnny Bridges
Last I looked, Lowes had mini blinds and could cut them to width in the store. I have them in the 26' with wood valences, frankly I like the paper
cellulars in the 23' better although they dopn't wear as well.

--johnny
--
'76 23' transmode Norris upfit, 76 26' Eleganza(?) with beaucoup mods and add - ons.
Braselton, Ga.

A.

Dec 7, 2016, 12:21:53 PM12/7/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
SCFire1 wrote on Wed, 07 December 2016 08:04
> Dan....I'm not sure I know what you mean by "cell" blinds. Can you help with the description. I'm old, dumb, and slow....
Cellular blinds, aka honeycomb blinds. They come in single, double and triple layer. This is single layer:
http://www.homedepot.com/hdus/en_US/DTCCOMNEW/fetch/Category_Pages/Decor/Blinds/Cellular_Shades/single-cell-shade.jpg
--
73 23' Sequoia 4 Sale
73 23' CanyonLands Parts Unit 4 Sale

Dan Borlase

Dec 7, 2016, 12:38:08 PM12/7/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
Exactly...!

KB

Dec 7, 2016, 1:45:48 PM12/7/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
I used 3/8" Double Cell Blackout shades with the "top-down, bottom-up" feature and we love them. We had regular metal RV blinds before and there's no
comparison. We actually love these so much, I carry a little sample piece to show people at rallies.

The blackout feature typically means the cells are lined with a reflective (mylar?) material, which significantly reduces heat transfer
above just the cellular structure (which traps air). The difference in heat/cold transmitted through the windows is phenomenal.
The blackout feature also blocks people from being able to see in your coach at night when the lights are on inside.
The top-down feature means we can let light in during the day without people being able to see in.
I got the "corded" variety; they also have cordless ones now. I assume those are like typical RV shades where you just grab the shade to raise/lower
it.
Tidier looking, but could make it difficult to lower the top of the shades behind a cabinet.

The ones we bought are a little thicker than stock so I had to move the cabinets out a little, but that wasn't particularly difficult.
You could probably stick with the single cell blackout shades and get most of the benefit with less total thickness, but it won't insulate quite as
well.

I got ours at JustBlinds.com, but they've made their website a lot less helpful than it used to be.
There are a ton of places online that make shades to whatever size you want for fairly reasonable prices.
Most will send you free samples of the material so you can look at the actual colors, etc.
Or you can probably go to Lowes or such.

jwid,

Karen
1975 26'

Bob Dunahugh

Dec 7, 2016, 3:25:28 PM12/7/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
With the walnut interior of the Royale. I made the valances out of 3/4 solid walnut. To match the curve of the walls. I put the piece up to the door jamb to trace the arc of the wall. Then cut my first one. Next used that one as my pattern. Used 3 inch screws to attach to wall. Then to face that front edge of the 3/4 inch piece. I planed some other walnut down to 5/16 inch thick. Then cut the to size.

Used some decretive screws to attach.

Bob Dunahugh

Hal StClair

Dec 7, 2016, 3:36:59 PM12/7/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
We got ours from Home D, their own brand with the day night feature and really like them. They claim to have an 'R' value of 4.7 and the difference is
remarkable. A little spendy but what isn't anymore. Worth a look IMHO.
Hal
--
1977 Royale 101348,

1977 Royale 101586, Diesel powered,

1974 Eagle Bus 45',w/slideout

Kerry Pinkerton

Dec 7, 2016, 8:02:59 PM12/7/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org
We had the micro mini blinds in the coach when we got it. Rattling damn things. We went with Levlour cordless push button cellular blinds from
Lowes. They cut to fit and have a lifetime warranty. You do need to take down the overhead cabinets to install them. Nice insulation quality. We
got blackout versions.
--
Kerry Pinkerton - North Alabama

77 Eleganza II, 403CI, Manny Brakes, 1 ton, tranny, lots of aluminum goodies.

http://www.bdub.net/pinkerton/

'03 Fleetwood Discovery 39L

Bob Dunahugh

Dec 7, 2016, 9:53:03 PM12/7/16
to gmc...@list.gmcnet.org

We got shades from Guske sales. Extremely pleased this second time around since the burned GMC.
Bob Dunahugh
78 Royale