Fuel pressure readings in log

BruceHislop

Aug 30, 2023, 10:47:59 AM8/30/23
to GMC Motorhome EFI Group
Here is a screen capture of my fuel pressure reading. The log was exported to a CVS file so I could see all the sensors.

Note: it converts the sensor reading from volts and displays it in PSI.  You will need to go to the far right column in the spreadsheet to see it (PSI_1 column).  The PSI column to the far right I believe is Turbo boost.

If you are indeed reading 2 PSI in that column, you need to determine if you have a sensor fault or a faulty pump or regulator.

Note the WUD will display the Fuel Pressure and Wide Band AFR on the main screen.  So you should be able to see the Fuel Pressure there.

Some WB units have a narrow band output which switches at the Lamda setting (usually 14.7) to simulate a NB snesor. You wire that output into the standard narrow band sensor input.  If not, your WB sensor output goes to the first input on the EBL board itself.  You then need to set the EBL to Learn from the WB. That is in the File > Preferences screen, click on WB

--
Bruce Hislop

Cameron

Aug 30, 2023, 11:32:03 AM8/30/23
to gmcm...@googlegroups.com
I have never seen anything higher than a 2 in that column, I I just assumed I had to do the math.  I doubt it would even run with 2psi so it must be the sensor.  I also have 2 fuel pumps (main and alternate) and both have the same reading.  I just bought this cheap one on amazon;

Cameron

BruceHislop

Aug 30, 2023, 11:57:31 AM8/30/23
to gmcm...@googlegroups.com
I'm using  an AutoMeter sensor which was considerably more expensive.

Does the Fuel  Pressure reading show up on you WUD main screen?  It should if the input is configured correctly, as well as the WB sensor.
2 volt input would show as 30psi/5V = 6psi/volt x 2 = 12psi.

See my WUD.  Fuel pressure on the left and WB on the right.

Bruce Hislop

Cameron

Aug 30, 2023, 12:23:36 PM8/30/23
to gmcm...@googlegroups.com
my WUD matches my xls.

image.png

I just mounted my sensor on a T in the fuel line.  pretty sure that is how randy had it in the document he put together.  I could probably find an actual gauge to put up by the TBI and see what it says.

Cameron

Jon Roche

Aug 30, 2023, 12:34:55 PM8/30/23
to gmcm...@googlegroups.com
What fuel
Pressure sender did you end up with?

You want one rated 0-15.   Other ones can be setup to work,  but not confident that is best result.   I had one 0-60 psi and it never seemed to read right.    The 0-15 now seems confidently accurate.    I know there are settings in the wud. But still never seemed to match pressure like it does now.

12.2 psi almost all the time.  It will drop
When i am on the throttle but only by a couple tenth of psi.

It was a cheap $$ sender so i just bought the 0-15 one after i figured out it was not working well.

On Wed, Aug 30, 2023 at 8:57 AM BruceHislop <bhis...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm using  an AutoMeter sensor which was considerably more expensive.

Does the Fuel  Pressure reading show up on you WUD main screen?  It should if the input is configured correctly, as well as the WB sensor.
2 volt input would show as 30psi/5V = 6psi/volt x 2 = 12psi.

See my WUD.  Fuel pressure on the left and WB on the right.
WUD screen shot.jpg

Bruce Hislop

On Wed, Aug 30, 2023 at 7:48 AM BruceHislop <bhis...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Fuel pressure reading in log.jpg
--
Bruce Hislop

BruceHislop

Aug 30, 2023, 12:40:21 PM8/30/23
to gmcm...@googlegroups.com
Can you give us a screen shot like mine below.  Yours shows it is on ADC channel 5.

I checked the specs of yours and it matches my Autometer sensor (0.5 to 4.5V output range).  You could try selecting that device..

The Filter spec just smooths the reading so it is not jumping around.

Bruce Hislop

Cameron

Aug 30, 2023, 12:53:51 PM8/30/23
to gmcm...@googlegroups.com
maybe that is what I have done wrong.  I chose the 0-5, not .5 to 4.5;

image.png

I see that in the spec's now.  I will update mine and see if it looks better next time.

Cameron

Keith V

Aug 30, 2023, 8:15:51 PM8/30/23
to gmcm...@googlegroups.com
Which line did you put the sensor in? It should be in the line TO the TB. I suspect you have it in the line from the TB

Sent from my T-Mobile 5G Device
Get Outlook for Android

Aug 31, 2023, 10:56:18 AM8/31/23
to gmcm...@googlegroups.com
oh keith, I have made some silly mistakes, but that isnt one of them!

BruceHislop

Aug 31, 2023, 1:48:48 PM8/31/23
to gmcm...@googlegroups.com
Cameron,
FYI,  If you put a mechanical gauge on your fuel line, only use it as a test to confirm the actual pressure, then remove it.  Several gauges including fluid damped models, failed in short order in the past and started to leak.

The injectors cause the fuel to pulse and causes the tube inside the gauge to fatigue.

Bruce Hislop

Cameron

Aug 31, 2023, 3:18:07 PM8/31/23
to gmcm...@googlegroups.com
got it.  I hope to make a test drive tomorrow with the new settings in the WUD for the different range in voltage.  also, swapping out the WB with NB sensor until I can get the WB installed.

Bruce, I think you also have the Innovate module setup for the WB sensor?  did you run both the WB and NB sensors or just wire the 'extra' wire from the innovate module into the EBL?

thanks!

WUD screen shot.jpg
image.png
image.png
EBL ADC channels.jpg
Fuel pressure reading in log.jpg

Cameron

Aug 31, 2023, 4:48:25 PM8/31/23
to gmcm...@googlegroups.com
I will withdraw the second question about how the outputs from the innovate module work. rereading the manual,  I think it just depends on where you are running them to can accept, but both are WB outputs.  I was originally interpreting it to mean that one output was the WB "range" and the other was a more 'binary' output that could be interpreted by a NB input.  but, it seems I am wrong on that.

Cameron

Bill Van Vlack

Aug 31, 2023, 4:58:38 PM8/31/23
to gmcm...@googlegroups.com
Cameron,
 Note that the NB does not use the ADC ports for its wiring; there is a separate pin on one of the main connectors for that wire.

BruceHislop

Aug 31, 2023, 5:16:57 PM8/31/23
to gmcm...@googlegroups.com
Cameron,
I have Dynamic EFI's TT-1 wide band sensor.  It will output a NB signal, but I am using a separate NB sensor for that.  I am using the NB sensor to control the EBL and the WB for information only.

Bruce Hislop

Cameron

Aug 31, 2023, 5:21:14 PM8/31/23
to gmcm...@googlegroups.com
thanks.  I plan to go the same direction.

any suggestions on the weld on bung?  I am uncomfortable taking my rv to a muffler shop (even though I have one I really trust) and having some guy climb into my engine compartment to weld on a bung..

would jb weld hold it?  or is that just too mickey mouse?

Cameron

Jon Roche

Aug 31, 2023, 5:26:36 PM8/31/23
to gmcm...@googlegroups.com
Weld it.     Not something to mess around with.

Getting an o2 bung installed is common and should be simple.

You can buy a bung at napa or online.

Cameron

Aug 31, 2023, 5:28:38 PM8/31/23
to gmcm...@googlegroups.com
yeah, the sensors I bought came with them.  I just need to figure a way to get them installed.  thanks for raining on my jb weld parade..

Bill Van Vlack

Aug 31, 2023, 5:34:04 PM8/31/23
to gmcm...@googlegroups.com
There are some clamp-on bung kits available... My bungs were welded on by a speed shop from underneath downstream from the header collector with the front end jacked up.

Bruce Hislop

Aug 31, 2023, 6:23:46 PM8/31/23
to GMC Motorhome EFI Group
FYI, the NB should be up close to the manifold, mine is on the driver's side.  The WB sensor should be after the "Y" to collect info from both banks.

They should also be pointing downward so moisture cannot collect in them. 2 o'clock position is good.

Bruce Hislop

Bill Van Vlack

Aug 31, 2023, 6:49:59 PM8/31/23
to gmcm...@googlegroups.com
Bruce,
 So on a header, where's the best place?
Bill

Jon Roche

Aug 31, 2023, 7:00:32 PM8/31/23
to gmcm...@googlegroups.com
You want the narrow band o2.  As close to the engine as practical.   With a header that us usually 2” after it bolts to the exhaust pipe driver side.

Eric Schmidt

Sep 3, 2023, 2:08:03 PM9/3/23
to GMCMH EFI
Wouldn't it be nice if a light could be triggered when the pressure drops below a set limit? I was thinking that if the ECU could trigger a shift light, why not a fuel pressure light?

Bill Van Vlack

Sep 3, 2023, 2:49:49 PM9/3/23
to gmcm...@googlegroups.com
You can do that with a WinLog-EBL screen in several ways; there's a Warning feature that configures an alarm that shows a flashing gauge and can play a wav file....  "Hal, your fuel pressure is low..."  See the WinLog manual.

Bill

Bob BRAAF

Sep 3, 2023, 5:13:48 PM9/3/23
to GMCMH EFI
I have a pressure switch wired into my low pressure fuel line before it gets to the FiTec cannister.  It is wired to an idiot light on my dash that blows loud and clear when the low pressure fuel pump gives up the ghost.  I have about 15 seconds after that to get to a spot to get off the road.  Has happened twice.

Bob Braaf

Sep 3, 2023, 5:20:42 PM9/3/23
to gmcm...@googlegroups.com
These high pressure electric fuel pumps have a fairly short life when they are not mounted inside the fuel tanks. What works for some is an approx. 1 gallon in line fuel tank that contains the pump and also serves as a return fuel reserve. Fuel cools much better than air. Several places sell them. Summit Racing is one that I know of.
Jim Hupy
Salem, Oregon

Cameron

Sep 3, 2023, 5:25:24 PM9/3/23
to gmcm...@googlegroups.com
so, drove the RV back from the campground today with new fuel pressure config (.5-4.5v instead of 0-5v)  that didnt help anything.  if anything it shows less fuel pressure.  I just put a manual guage on it, and that gauge reads 11lbs.  is that enough?  I was expecting closer to 15.

so, is it a bad sensor?  I paid ~15 for some cheap knockoff on amazon.  Bill paid over $100 for an auto meter gauge.  the other thing I can think of is that I used a 3/8's T to mount the sensor.  I put a hose barb fitting barb for the in and out and then a reducer in the fitting where the sensor went.  think it is too far out of the fuel path for the sensor to get a good reading?  I would rather buy a $3 T fitting than a $100 sensor, but if I have to spend the $ I will do so..

Thanks!
Cameron

Bill Van Vlack

Sep 3, 2023, 6:04:14 PM9/3/23
to gmcm...@googlegroups.com
You can put a voltmeter on the output terminal of the FP sensor. 2 psi is about .76 volts, 11 psi is about 1.97 volts.

I don't think the T or fittings is the issue. I think 11psi is enough.

It should have three wires; 5v, GND, and output to EBL. You can also confirm that you have 5v to the gauge. I bought a small 5v power supply rather than using 5v from the ECM.  If you have WinLog-EBL, you can create a gauge that reports the ADC counts. So,

psi   counts   volts
2......260......0.76
11....404......1.97
30....922......4.5

I paid $20.00 on Ebay for the FP gauge and used the Autometer scale to set up the EBL. Mine is not an Autometer gauge.