Approval to download Winlog

Tony Cockshutt

Aug 21, 2023, 6:39:49 AM8/21/23
to GMCMH EFI
Hi, this is my first summer using EBL.  I'd like to try Winlog to play with a dashboard setup.  How do I get approval to download and install it?  Thank you
Tony

Bill Van Vlack

Aug 21, 2023, 10:30:56 AM8/21/23
to gmcm...@googlegroups.com
Tony,
 To get WinLog and WinLogView plus a sample dash, go to winlog-ebl.org and select 'login', then 'don't have an account?'
Bill

On Mon, Aug 21, 2023 at 3:39 AM Tony Cockshutt <to...@cymadesign.ca> wrote:
Hi, this is my first summer using EBL.  I'd like to try Winlog to play with a dashboard setup.  How do I get approval to download and install it?  Thank you
Tony

Cameron

Aug 21, 2023, 2:23:37 PM8/21/23
to gmcm...@googlegroups.com
Hey Bill, I got winlogview and winlog installed.  how do I convert my dat file into a csv?

thanks!

Bill Van Vlack

Aug 21, 2023, 2:37:08 PM8/21/23
to gmcm...@googlegroups.com

Tony Cockshutt

Aug 21, 2023, 8:55:05 PM8/21/23
to gmcm...@googlegroups.com

Thank you.  I’ve installed the files and it is working fine.

Sent from Mail for Windows

Jon Roche

Aug 21, 2023, 9:06:43 PM8/21/23
to gmcm...@googlegroups.com
What are you using for a computer?

My current cheap tablet i use on my ebl has not cooperated with the winlog.  It wont adjust or recognize com port properly.  It only sees one com port.

I am thinking i need to try a better tablet.  But not sure what to buy.   Current one was only $120 at the time.

Tony Cockshutt

Aug 21, 2023, 9:41:44 PM8/21/23
to gmcm...@googlegroups.com

I’m using a 3 year old ThinkPad laptop.

Sent from Mail for Windows

Bill Van Vlack

Aug 21, 2023, 9:44:11 PM8/21/23
to gmcm...@googlegroups.com
Tony,
 Are you able to see working gauges?

Jon, et al.
 I'm using Enterlogic's VSPE program ($24.95) to split a single physical com port into two virtual com ports. One less cable hanging from the laptop.

Cameron

Aug 22, 2023, 10:06:50 AM8/22/23
to gmcm...@googlegroups.com
I was unable to get my converted dat file to load.  hoping to tinker with it more this am.  work keeps getting in the way of my play!

Cameron

Bill Van Vlack

Aug 22, 2023, 10:59:50 AM8/22/23
to GMCMH EFI
Cameron,
 Send a copy of the first 100 lines of the csv file as an Excel file and I can look at it.

Bill

Cameron

Aug 22, 2023, 11:03:52 AM8/22/23
to gmcm...@googlegroups.com
sample data - Sheet1.txt

Cameron

Aug 22, 2023, 5:28:04 PM8/22/23
to gmcm...@googlegroups.com
hey bill, were you able to determine if I was doing something wrong with that sample data?

thanks!

Bill Van Vlack

Aug 22, 2023, 7:55:56 PM8/22/23
to gmcm...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for the delay....  The WinLogView manual explains it, but from a blank screen you either choose fields to display one by one, or use a 'Graph' file. I put a sample graph file up on the download site similar to the one I've attached below for anyone who's following along.  To choose a single field to display, go to 'View', then 'Fields' and send whichever field you want to view to the 'Graphed Field' box. You can repeat that process for as many fields as you want on the screen at a time.  To load a pre-loaded and configured set of fields, go to 'File', then 'Open Graph' and select a .wlg file to load. Each field can be configured to occupy a portion of the graph, both % of graph height it occupies, and % of starting point. For example, a 10% slice of the vertical space, starting at 50% of the way up the y-axis. If you are looking at just a few fields, you can go to View/Fields and move them off of the Graphed Field box.

Bill

Stacked Traces - Cameron.wlg

Tony Cockshutt

Aug 22, 2023, 8:14:56 PM8/22/23
to gmcm...@googlegroups.com

Not yet, I haven’t got that far yet.

Cameron

Aug 22, 2023, 8:44:48 PM8/22/23
to gmcm...@googlegroups.com
ok, I understand now.  sorry, I didnt get it.  thanks for the help!  I am now able to display some data in the graph based on selecting fields.  now I need to figure out what I want to display to find my problem.  reading that AE piece on the dynamic site has my head spinning a bit.  hopefully I can figure out what I want to graph to figure it out what I want to change..

if you have any suggestions on the attached image, it would be appreciated!

image.png

btw: sorry if I sounded impatient.  I really do appreciate the help!

Cameron

Bill Van Vlack

Aug 22, 2023, 9:23:50 PM8/22/23
to gmcm...@googlegroups.com
I'm not much of a tuner, but here's a portion of a thread on the Third Gen site that talks about it a little. The 'Tuning with the EBL' post is moderated by RBob, the creator of the EBL. This is from a search on 'Acceleration Enrichment' in that thread.

Bill Van Vlack

Aug 22, 2023, 9:24:30 PM8/22/23
to gmcm...@googlegroups.com
Also, doing a few VE Learns may clear that up.

Cameron

Aug 23, 2023, 10:28:14 AM8/23/23
to gmcm...@googlegroups.com
thanks!

I think this statement is *my* learning

"Remember though, you need steady state for VE learn to be effective. Pick an RPM and load ( MAP ) and hold it there until the Learn can register a correction, then move on to the next RPM or MAP increment, and do it again. Get as many points or cells as you can, then manually extrapolate between them, then go drive it and see how it runs, and what VE Learn wants to do."

I think I was moving too fast between different loads/rpms and not letting it "learn".  I will try to do some learns this weekend.

I am pretty clear on why AE is necessary, but I am still not clear on how to tune it.  I am looking at the MAP Pulse Width and TPS Pulse Width but honestly not sure what they mean..  I get the delta (change) of MAP or TPS, but is the idea that the Pulse Width is "a wide pulse of fuel"?  that is what I am taking it to mean.  but, not sure I understand how that works with the multiplier and qualifier/threshold scalers/tables..  I would like to not change too many things at once and make the situation worse..

I will go re-read the tuning on the dynamic site, but this 'third gen' site is new to me, so maybe that will get me moving in the right direction.  as always, suggestions are welcomed!

Cameron

Jon Roche

Aug 23, 2023, 10:49:47 AM8/23/23
to gmcm...@googlegroups.com
Randy tuned up my AE.   I had the same issue.

Whatever he did he cranked it up.   Then it ran rich at take off(10.2 afr if I remember).  but had some acceleration.  He dialed it down and the VE seemed to adjust it right after that.   Smooth acceleration now without the backfire.   I think it sticks in the 11’s afr now when i jam the throttle from. A stop.

Cameron

Aug 23, 2023, 10:54:22 AM8/23/23
to gmcm...@googlegroups.com
can you send me a screen shot similar to the following?

image.png

I believe those are all the tables and scalers I need to "worry about" (tune).

Bill Van Vlack

Aug 23, 2023, 11:15:51 AM8/23/23
to gmcm...@googlegroups.com
I think those tables refer to the added fuel (added to the normal calculated injector pulse width measured in microseconds  at the #/hr rating of the injectors) when MAP or Throttle position changes rapidly. I think dTPS, for example, means the derivative of the speed of the throttle position changing.

Bill Van Vlack

Aug 23, 2023, 11:34:57 AM8/23/23
to gmcm...@googlegroups.com
Just a suggestion...  We've switched the discussion from WinLog to tuning. You may get more input from the tuning experts if you start a new thread for the AE issue and reserve this one for WinLog-EBL. It makes these threads easier to use as reference material later on.

Cameron

Aug 23, 2023, 11:36:05 AM8/23/23
to gmcm...@googlegroups.com

Bill Van Vlack

Aug 29, 2023, 2:06:11 PM8/29/23
to gmcm...@googlegroups.com
Just a note about WinLog-EBL as it relates to readings from a fuel pressure gauge.  The signal that the EBL sends to the What's Up Display (WUD) is the number of digital counts sent by the ADC (Analog to Digital Converter).  The WUD converts those counts to fuel pressure. Assuming a 0-5v, 0-30psi sensor, 0 counts is 0 psi, 1024 counts is 5v or 30 psi

If you create a digital gauge using AD1 as the field (if that's where the fuel pressure sensor is connected), it will report ADC counts. To have a gauge that reports psi, you would create a translation table on the AD1 field with two points:

image.png

If you have a .5v-4.5v, 30 psi sensor, .5v is 102 counts representing 0 psi and 4.5v is 922 counts, representing 30 psi. The translation table would be:
102   0
922   30

Cameron

Aug 29, 2023, 2:21:58 PM8/29/23
to gmcm...@googlegroups.com
I haven’t started on the gauges yet.  There’s a description of a learning process: ‘crawl, walk, run’.  I am still somewhere between crawling and walking.  Once I can predictably drive without blocking intersections I will start an gauges…

Suggestions on a part number for a NB sensor?  I left mine at the house before heading out for the holiday.  I would like to pick one up here at the auto parts store..

Thanks!