Upgrading to spark control

BruceHislop

Nov 24, 2023, 12:54:08 PM11/24/23
to GMC Motorhome EFI Group
Hi All,

I'm helping a local club member upgrade his EBL equipped EFI to Electronic Spark Control (ESC).  When I did mine 12 years ago, I just bought one from a mid-late 80's olds 307 car.

He wanted a new distributor so he went to NAPA and they gave his this number DIS41897.  When I look that up and check the applications it shows mid 75-80 Chev and GMC pickups/vans, nothing about Olds.  I thought that era was HEI with no ESC yet, however the photos show an ESC distributor.

But when I look up an 87 Oldsmobile car with ESC it shows the same part number for the Distributor.  Also, doesn't the distributor turn backwards so it needs a different gear?

Just wondering what the group says for a ESC distributor for a 455.

--
Bruce Hislop

Jon Roche

Nov 24, 2023, 1:07:12 PM11/24/23
to gmcm...@googlegroups.com

Bill Van Vlack

Nov 24, 2023, 1:09:21 PM11/24/23
to gmcm...@googlegroups.com
I understand that any GM HEI distributor, including ours, can be converted to a suitable distributor by disabling
vacuum and mechanical advance and installing the correct control module. (Quoting from Swartzendruber).

Eelko Byker

Nov 24, 2023, 3:04:46 PM11/24/23
to GMCMH EFI
I bought a used Olds 307 distributor on e bay when I did mine last winter  it is a large cap coil in cap  HEI distributor the one in the amazon link does not look anything like the one I used and our distributors are opposite rotation  to a Chev  you have to  get the right  one or modify  the one you have there are utube  how to video's

Dick Paterson

Nov 24, 2023, 3:46:59 PM11/24/23
to gmcm...@googlegroups.com

Yellow /red   coil  for gmc app…   fwd ……………..rotation is determined by which side of the camshaft gear ---the dist gear engages…..dick

BruceHislop

Nov 24, 2023, 9:03:43 PM11/24/23
to gmcm...@googlegroups.com
Hmm, Jon, That does not look anything like what I have ever seen!
Bruce Hislop

BruceHislop

Nov 24, 2023, 9:10:42 PM11/24/23
to gmcm...@googlegroups.com
Looks like a Cardone 30-1873 would be a good choice.  Rebuilt covers 80's Olds 307 engine with ESC.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=27808&cc=1421547&pt=7108&jsn=832

Bruce Hislop

Jon Roche

Nov 24, 2023, 9:22:31 PM11/24/23
to gmcm...@googlegroups.com
Ok.  Amazon link is messed up.

Sorry.   That should of been the 30-1873 distributor.

image0.png

On Nov 24, 2023, at 8:10 PM, BruceHislop <bhis...@gmail.com> wrote:

 Looks like a Cardone 30-1873 would be a good choice.  Rebuilt covers 80's Olds 307 engine with ESC.
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=27808&cc=1421547&pt=7108&jsn=832

George Beckman

Nov 25, 2023, 10:57:27 AM11/25/23
to EFI GoogleList
I’ve used Cardone 30-1873 in my 455 for about 80K miles. Amazon says they are out right now. I think you can get them from Autozone and the like. You may have to round up come connectors. The three pin connector to the module was part of a giant harness mess. I was lucky to find one in an ancient rural junk yard, and snipped it out.

On Nov 24, 2023, at 6:22 PM, Jon Roche <lqqk...@gmail.com> wrote:

Ok.  Amazon link is messed up.

Sorry.   That should of been the 30-1873 distributor.

---------
Best Wishes,

Jon Roche

Nov 25, 2023, 11:04:32 AM11/25/23
to gmcm...@googlegroups.com
That is a good point.    I had originally bought a distributor from the local junkyard.   Olds 307 from mid 90’s i think.  Like cutlass wagon???

It was cheap, like $10.  But it looked like a $10 junk yard distributor….  So I bought the cardone rebuilt one.   Luckily I had the junkyard one for the small wiring harness as from what i found out I dont think you can get  that pigtail thing new for the 7 pin?

On Nov 25, 2023, at 9:57 AM, George Beckman <gbec...@graestone.org> wrote:

I’ve used Cardone 30-1873 in my 455 for about 80K miles. Amazon says they are out right now. I think you can get them from Autozone and the like. You may have to round up come connectors. The three pin connector to the module was part of a giant harness mess. I was lucky to find one in an ancient rural junk yard, and snipped it out.

George Beckman

Nov 28, 2023, 11:22:58 AM11/28/23
to EFI GoogleList
I couldn’t find one. My clipped out pigtail would embarrass any pig who had to wear it. That part of the system is what I call a Beckman Wad-up. After 80K, it seems to be holding together.