Adding a forwarding address

Steve Swift

Oct 27, 2019, 6:40:22 PM10/27/19
to Gmail-Users
How do I add a forwarding address so that I can forward mail that has been filtered
I get close, and reach thd Forwarding.jpg attached image, but there's only one address that I can select, and trying to add an address gets me nowhere.

It  seems to me that some security has been added since I last added a forwarding address, so the recipient has to approve.
In this case, the recipient is my wife, and she reads her emails about once a year...
Forwarding.jpg

Sean Murphy

Oct 27, 2019, 6:59:42 PM10/27/19
to gmail-users
As far as I know it has always been necessary to get approval from the owner of the email address. It certainly was over ten years ago when I started figuring out how forwarding worked...

Zack (Doc)

Oct 27, 2019, 7:19:33 PM10/27/19
to Gmail-Users Google Group
It was always proper courtesy, but it wasn't something validated by the system in the past.  Not sure when it changed, but it's definitely the requirement now.

Steve,
Coordinate with your wife to get the message sent for validation and approval.

Andy

Oct 28, 2019, 1:13:27 AM10/28/19
to [Gmail-Users]
I started using Gmail some 14 years ago, and ever since I can remember, it was a requirement to get approval before you could auto-forward emails.

I am puzzled why you say "trying to add an address gets me nowhere."  Is that because it is forever waiting for the approval?  Or do you not even get to the point where your account 'asks' your wife for approval to forward?

Andy

Steve Swift

Oct 30, 2019, 10:27:02 PM10/30/19
to Gmail-Users
If approval is required (makes sense) then I'm unlikely to get it.
The recipient is my wife. She receives about 50 emails a day, and gets around to reading at least 2-3 of them.
She's in the state where 99% of her incoming emails have vanished off the bottom of the area of her inbox that she reaches.
She refuses to setup filters, or folders/labels to categorise her email.

This is  where scruples come into play. My fingerprint can unlock her tablet, so I could just go in there and setup the approval. We have reciprocal access to our tablets, as we'll need it when one of us goes west.

APB

Nov 3, 2019, 7:43:12 PM11/3/19
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Why not have both Gmail accounts on both tablets?  Would that solve at least part of the problem?

The Gmail app for Android allows me to have multiple accounts accessible on my phone.  I have my husband's in addition to my own (with his permission, of course).

--APB