Is there a way to set an auto-logout time period?

APB

Feb 7, 2013, 3:34:59 PM2/7/13
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
A friend travels frequently, so uses unsecured connections, and often uses his Gmail on clients' computers also.  He asked me if there was some setting which would log him out of Gmail after a set amount of time, if he forgets to log off himself.

I am not aware of such a thing, but perhaps there is an add-on?

TIA, APB

Zack (Doc)

Feb 7, 2013, 7:31:40 PM2/7/13
to Gmail-Users Google Group
Step one, don't click the little box on the main login page that says "Stay logged in" or something to that effect.

Step two, turn on two-factor authentication, then even if still "logged in" they won't be able to get in without his authentication.

Step three, click the details at the bottom right, and it will show you where you've logged in from, and where you're currently logged in from.  Click to close all other connections.

Surekha Shyam

Feb 8, 2013, 10:29:03 AM2/8/13
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
How and from where to turn on this feature?

Step two, turn on two-factor authentication, then even if still "logged in" they won't be able to get in without his authentication

Zack (Doc)

Feb 8, 2013, 3:31:57 PM2/8/13
to Gmail-Users Google Group
http://support.google.com/mail/bin/static.py?hl=en&page=checklist.cs&tab=29495

The help pages are generally pretty good for this stuff.  Once in a while they have old/incorrect information, but usually it's good.

Babbers

Oct 17, 2013, 3:38:08 PM10/17/13
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
There doesn't seem to be an option for this. However, there is a Greasemonkey plugin that does this for Firefox.

Someone should port the script for TamperMonkey so I can use it with Chrome also.

Babbers

Kevin Flude

Dec 5, 2013, 1:23:55 PM12/5/13
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
The advice from Zack does not work, the link only gives info about secure passwords.

cant find anything else to make step 2 or step 3 understandable

Zack (Doc)

Dec 5, 2013, 10:49:03 PM12/5/13
to Gmail-Users Google Group
Actually, the link is now tabularized instead of a straight read, but it's there... link #7 on that page is two-step (changed from factor) authentication.  Step #3 is the word "Details" at the bottom right of your inbox or message.