Auto Complete not working on Safari

Johnathan

Dec 19, 2007, 12:21:19 PM12/19/07
to Gmail-Users
I have a mac book pro and an Imac with both safari and firefox
browsers. With the new version of Gmail I have noticed that auto
complete does not work at all in safari but it does in Firefox. I have
also switched back to the old version when I have to send email to my
distribution lists or simply use Firefox which always works. What is
very interesting though is that when I use the new version thru safari
on ANY mac, auto complete still does not work. I tried when I was in
the Apple store and i find this very frustrating. Does anyone know if
Gmail's new version is officially configured to be compatible with
Safari. Thank you

jwiii

Ryan Morehart

Dec 19, 2007, 1:21:42 PM12/19/07
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
Safari is not a fully supported browser and nothing is guarranteed to work. Firefox and Internet Explorer are the only officially supported browsers.

Ryan
--
Make long URLs memorable: http://urlet.com

steve.scherer

Dec 31, 2007, 1:02:24 PM12/31/07
to Gmail-Users
That's too bad. My Mac at work only uses Safari. I may have to dump
gmail for something else. Interesting that the newer version of gmail
is inferior to the old.

Steve

On Dec 19, 1:21 pm, "Ryan Morehart" <moreh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Safari is not a fully supported browser and nothing is guarranteed to work.
> Firefox and Internet Explorer are the only officially supported browsers.
>
> Ryan

Zack (Doc)

Dec 31, 2007, 4:27:46 PM12/31/07
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
That's not to say you CAN'T use Safari, just that it's not a "fully
supported browser" so you can't EXPECT everything to work perfectly
all the time.

This post in GHD talks about it, and a apparent work-around:
http://groups.google.com/group/Gmail-Problem-solving/browse_thread/thread/be77882a43c23ba5/38115780702a8934
Switch to older version, use auto-complete, then switch back. Also, I
see where people say just leaving the window open to the GMail page
for a LONG time does the trick.

Included in that thread is a bug-report link which you should
definitely use. I know when I reported the auto-complete issue in IE,
it was solved within a few weeks (I presume others were reporting it
as well, just pointing out that we all need to when we see a problem).

On Dec 31, 2007 1:02 PM, steve.scherer <stephen...@gmail.com> wrote:

> That's too bad. My Mac at work only uses Safari. I may have to dump
> gmail for something else. Interesting that the newer version of gmail
> is inferior to the old.
>
> Steve

Gogoette

Jan 1, 2008, 12:47:59 PM1/1/08
to Gmail-Users
OK I'm fairly new to Gmail. What is autocomplete?

On Dec 31 2007, 1:27 pm, "Zack (Doc)" <z...@tnan.net> wrote:
> That's not to say you CAN'T use Safari, just that it's not a "fully
> supported browser" so you can't EXPECT everything to work perfectly
> all the time.
>
> This post in GHD talks about it, and a apparent work-around:http://groups.google.com/group/Gmail-Problem-solving/browse_thread/th...
> Switch to older version, use auto-complete, then switch back. Also, I
> see where people say just leaving the window open to the GMail page
> for a LONG time does the trick.
>
> Included in that thread is a bug-report link which you should
> definitely use. I know when I reported the auto-complete issue in IE,
> it was solved within a few weeks (I presume others were reporting it
> as well, just pointing out that we all need to when we see a problem).

Ryan Morehart

Jan 1, 2008, 8:14:34 PM1/1/08
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
It's the feature where Gmail displays a list of matches from your
contacts as you type a name or email address. You can select from the
list, greatly reducing the typing you have to do.

Ryan

Vijay Govind

Jan 2, 2008, 4:39:04 AM1/2/08
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
May I suggest using Camino or Firefox? or Is it that you are not allowed install / you don't have the permission to install apps on the mac at work? As Zack suggested before, Safari is fully supported if you happen to use Old Version, you can sort of "force" it into Old version by using language as "English UK".

--
Vijay Govind
Mobile - +91 99083 27775