Constraining reply text to current selection?

Skip Montanaro

Aug 16, 2017, 10:46:41 AM8/16/17
to Gmail-Users
It used to be that when replying, I could highlight just that portion of an email I wanted to quote, it would be the only text quoted in my reply, and the text cursor would be placed after the quoted text. I don't know if that feature was supported to a now-defunct Lab, but I used it all the time and miss it. Now I have to go through and select all the text above and below the quotable text which I want to delete. It's not nearly as convenient.

Is there a way to get this capability back? No setting jumped out at me in the Settings page.

Skip

Jeff Grossman

Aug 16, 2017, 11:26:50 AM8/16/17
to Gmail Users
Skip,
That used to be a lab extension, but I do not see it anymore.  I think at one point Google make it a feature and removed it from Labs, but there was a problem and they removed it and put it back as a Lab.  They must have removed it completely now.  That is a feature that I used sometimes.  Pretty bummed they removed it.

Jeff

Sean Murphy

Aug 16, 2017, 1:45:21 PM8/16/17
to gmail-users
    Same here - I used it occasionally too. I just tried it (with this reply) and it didn't work for me either.

Skip Montanaro

Aug 16, 2017, 1:49:10 PM8/16/17
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Dang, thanks. I was hoping someone would be able to come to my rescue.

Zack (Doc)

Aug 16, 2017, 2:00:41 PM8/16/17
to Gmail-Users Google Group
How about this "rescue"?  The link to the blog post that talks about the retired labs, including two that I used: Quick Links and Quote Selected Text.

On Wed, Aug 16, 2017 at 12:43 PM, Sean Murphy <smpa...@gmail.com> wrote:
>     Same here - I used it occasionally too. I just tried it (with this
> reply) and it didn't work for me either.
>

> On Wed, Aug 16, 2017 at 11:25 AM, Jeff Grossman <je...@stikman.com> wrote:
>>
>> Skip,
>> That used to be a lab extension, but I do not see it anymore.  I think at
>> one point Google make it a feature and removed it from Labs, but there was a
>> problem and they removed it and put it back as a Lab.  They must have
>> removed it completely now.  That is a feature that I used sometimes.  Pretty
>> bummed they removed it.

catman088

Aug 17, 2017, 7:13:59 AM8/17/17
to Gmail-Users
That lab feature has been disabled by Google, much to the dismay of many users.

Please provide feedback on this to Google.

Feedback is under the little gear wheel top right hand corner of the web page.  "Send Feedback".

Sean Murphy

Aug 17, 2017, 9:00:52 PM8/17/17
to gmail-users
    Thanks fo0r that reminder! Feedbacking away...