How to eliminate unwanted messages

Steve Swift

Oct 27, 2019, 6:40:22 PM10/27/19
to Gmail-Users
Is there any way to eliminate/block the unwanted messages with the green headers?

I'm sure all these ladies are just dying to meet me, but at my age, I'm liable to get an apoplexy.

Gmail Unwanted messages.jpg

Sean Murphy

Oct 27, 2019, 7:02:38 PM10/27/19
to gmail-users
Report as spam. Google's heuristics will eventually learn to recognize the pattern and start labeling those emails as spam automatically, even if from an unknown sender.

Steve Swift

Oct 30, 2019, 10:27:13 PM10/30/19
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for the suggestion.

I didn't see an obvious "Report as SPAM" control, so I pressed the settings/cogwheel control, but couldn't see anything relevant.

When I came out of the settings control, the message has disappeared, so nothing to practice on for the moment.

Andy

Oct 30, 2019, 10:39:33 PM10/30/19
to [Gmail-Users]
"Report SPAM" is one of the buttons across the top, above the message.  It's the one with the exclamation mark "!", just to the left of the trash can.  If you can't find it there, you can also go to the "More" drop-down menu (the three vertical dots in the upper right corner of the message) and then choose "Report spam".

When you feel a message is bad enough that you should not even open it, you can just click the checkbox next to the message in the listing (make sure it is the only one checked), and then click the Report SPAM button ("!") in the top.

When I came out of the settings control, the message has disappeared, so nothing to practice on for the moment.

It should not have disappeared.  It's still in your mail, probably still in your Inbox.  Messages never disappear unless you make them disappear.

Andy

Sean Murphy

Oct 31, 2019, 5:55:32 AM10/31/19
to gmail-users
Huh. I forgot how long it took to find those controls when Google rearranged them. They only show when an email is selected or open. But they are icons with no label unless you change the selection in Settings-General-Button labels. I just opened my Gmail in a browser and changed the settings back to default and the Report Spam icon is a stop sign looking thing with an exclamation mark, if that helps.

Also, when experimenting keep in mind you can undo reporting spam, so you can safely experiment with non-spam emails.