Gmail's new, "improved" login screen

Andy

Apr 30, 2017, 10:57:48 AM4/30/17
to [Gmail-Users]
So, what do people think about Gmail's new, UNimproved login screen?

Easier to login?  Ha!  More secure?  Yeah, right -- believe that, and I've got a bridge to sell you.  Simpler, cleaner look?  I want what they were smoking.  (No wait, I don't -- I don't want hallucinations.)

It used to be you could logout of Gmail with one click.  Now they are up to 6 (six) mouse clicks and a bunch of mouse movement.  More secure?  Who are they trying to fool?  Not me!

Perhaps they have succumbed to the 'alternative facts' theory, where if they say it's more secure, it is more secure (even though it isn't).

Not a happy camper,

Andy

Jeff Grossman

Apr 30, 2017, 12:18:25 PM4/30/17
to Gmail Users
I don't have a problem with it, but I stayed signed in. So the number of clicks it takes to sign out doesn't really affect me.

Jeff

Marko Vukovic

May 1, 2017, 7:52:08 AM5/1/17
to gmail-users
I don't follow, I click on my avatar and then the 'Sign out' button. Two clicks.

Not sure what the problem with the login screen is either. I select the account, enter password and in.

Here's an interesting way to sign out using a keyboard shortcut.
https://webapps.stackexchange.com/questions/17735/keyboard-shortcut-to-sign-out-of-gmail

Cheers
--
Marko

Marko

Andy

May 1, 2017, 4:30:15 PM5/1/17
to [Gmail-Users]
I sign out with two clicks -- sure I'm "signed out" -- but not really.  The web browser shows that I was logged in -- yes I need to enter a password -- but I am not fully signed out yet.  So the next person knows I was signed in, and sees my name, and my account.  For someone using a semi-public computer that is not very secure.  And now he/she has to do the extra steps that I didn't bother to do yet, in order for them to be able to login.  In short, it always takes 6 mouse clicks to log out so that the next person or next account can log in.

That is, just, not helpful.  We used to be able to sign out, fully, 100%, totally, with a single keyclick.  Now it takes 6 keyclicks to do the same thing.

I don't appreciate all the silly glowy rainbowy trash on my login screen either.  That's not a simpler cleaner screen.  It is designed to be flashy.

Andy

Marko Vukovic

May 1, 2017, 5:07:13 PM5/1/17
to gmail-users
That is just storing your account so that you don't have to re-type it every time. Sure, it takes a few more clicks to remove it but that is not required for the next person to be able to login.
This is very useful for someone like me who has multiple Gmail accounts.

If you are using a public computer then you should probably open an Incognito tab or window, otherwise clear the cache and cookies when you're done, ctrl-shift-del.

What glowy rainbow trash? Mine is very plain and clean.

Marko

Jedrzej Krzysztof Dec

Jun 4, 2017, 10:22:53 PM6/4/17
to Gmail-Users, Gmail...@googlegroups.com
I like the new look but I think they made it less secure. Then again if you have 2-factor you're probably OK ;)

Sean Murphy

Jun 4, 2017, 10:27:27 PM6/4/17
to gmail-users
    Meh. About the same as their last new and improved process. I can actually log out more easily to switch accounts than I could on the previous "improved" version. Only six clicks to log out fully so that I can log into my next account (I periodically log out and log in to each account to keep them active)...

Jeff Grossman

Jun 4, 2017, 11:52:33 PM6/4/17
to Gmail Users

On Sat, Jun 3, 2017 at 10:44 PM, Jedrzej Krzysztof Dec <jd...@jedrzejdec.eu> wrote:
I like the new look but I think they made it less secure. Then again if you have 2-factor you're probably OK ;)

Why do you think it is less secure?

Jeff