Stop copying myself on send/reply

Susan S

Sep 17, 2013, 1:52:27 PM9/17/13
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
I am having a problem that I can't seem to find a fix for. Scenario:
- I use Outlook with a POP account to access my gmail account (i have 2 other accounts in Outlook so I want a single place to use my email)
- I use Outlook 99% of the time and have no problems
- However, I occasionally need to reply to an email using the GMAIL mobile app on my android phone
                      When I reply from the app, it automatically sends a copy of the email to me.
                      I want this to stop!
                      It also occurs when I set the vacation autoreply - so after 2 or 3 days on vacation I have hundreds of vacation reply emails in my inbox :-(
                      I cannot find any preferences/settings in the app or the web site to turn this off

Can anyone give me some guidance? Thanks,

Marko Vukovic

Sep 18, 2013, 2:18:46 PM9/18/13
to gmail-users
Hi Susan
When you send email using the mobile app, Gmail automatically places a copy under the 'Sent Mail' label. This forms part of 'All Mail' which is then retrieved by your Outlook client.

I would suggest adding Gmail using IMAP instead of POP in your Outlook client. In this way, the labels will appear as folders and your sent email will be in the correct place.

Start here: https://support.google.com/mail/troubleshooter/1668960?hl=en

--
Marko

Susan S

Sep 18, 2013, 2:45:57 PM9/18/13
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Okay I get this is the answer to the problem.
But the instructions show how to add a new acct using IMAP and I want to change from POP to IMAP. Instructions available for that?

Sean Murphy

Sep 20, 2013, 10:00:50 AM9/20/13
to gmail-users
    I have never come across a method for doing so. I think your best bet is to create a new acct, Gmail IMAP, and then drag previously POPped emails across into the appropriate labels in the IMAP acct, then delete the POP acct.

Marko Vukovic

Sep 20, 2013, 9:15:46 PM9/20/13
to gmail-users

On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 4:00 PM, Sean Murphy <smpa...@gmail.com> wrote:
  I have never come across a method for doing so. I think your best bet is to create a new acct, Gmail IMAP, and then drag previously POPped emails across into the appropriate labels in the IMAP acct, then delete the POP acct.

AFAIK, the Gmail system does not delete any email, even when issued the delete command via POP3 so basically Susan, just add the account using IMAP and compare. If all good, remove the POP account from Outlook.

--
Marko

Susan S

Sep 23, 2013, 7:42:19 PM9/23/13
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. That did work. I created the IMAP acct - needed to move some older stuff that I had explicitly deleted from gmail online. Now I am good to go. Thanks for the help,