Re: [Gmail-Users] Forwarded emails show up as .eml attachments for some accounts

Andy

Sep 22, 2012, 1:22:32 AM9/22/12
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
> ... when
> my mother tries to forward an email to me, regardless of the method, it
> shows up as an .eml file to download. However if she does the same thing
> for my son, the email shows up just fine. ...
>
> Any ideas?

My guess is that your son's email program (you didn't say whether it
was Gmail, so I'm assuming it is something else) knows what an .eml
file is, so it automatically opens it up as an email message within
his email program.

Andy

Marko Vukovic

Sep 22, 2012, 10:35:00 AM9/22/12
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Hi Wolfie

There may be a setting on your mom's email account that causes different behaviour for different recipients eg. sending email as attachment instead of inline.

Ps. everyone, there's no need to add 'Any ideas?' to your emails, it's redundant ;)

On Fri, Sep 21, 2012 at 10:05 PM, Wolfie <lord...@gmail.com> wrote:
I tried posting this a short while ago but haven't seen it appearing, so posting it again (if it doubles, please forgive me).

I have a couple of accounts (one person, another for other stuff), and when my mother tries to forward an email to me, regardless of the method, it shows up as an .eml file to download.  However if she does the same thing for my son, the email shows up just fine.  I've compared our account settings and can't see anything that should make a difference.

Any ideas?

Marko

Andy

Sep 22, 2012, 4:42:57 PM9/22/12
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
What is she (your mother) using to compose and forward the emails she sends?

Are both you and your son using the normal Gmail web interface for
reading your email?

All these things (and more) may affect how forwarded emails are
treated when they are received.

For example, in Outlook I think I had the ability to tailor how a
message would be sent (HTML/Rich Text vs. plain text) based on the
intended recipient, and as I recall it affected how it dealt with
forwarded messages.

One thing you could try doing, is a "Show original" of emails received
by you and by your son, that both contained forwarded messages from
her. Then see what difference there is between them.

Andy

Marko Vukovic

Sep 24, 2012, 7:56:49 AM9/24/12
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Hi Wolfie

On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 10:53 PM, Wolfie <lord...@gmail.com> wrote:
She's using Comcast and when my son and I check gmail, it's using the web interface.  I'll take a look at a couple of emails she's sent and compare them to see if there's a difference.  However, if my hunch is correct, any differences will be in how it's handled prior to my being able to see it, vs how it was actually sent.

It is highly unlikely that Google modifies the email prior to you viewing it, especially converting it into an .eml attachment. It is far more likely to be on the sending side.

Start your investigation at your mom's email client.

--
Marko

Sean Murphy

Sep 25, 2012, 9:32:02 AM9/25/12
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
    Yeah, I've had this happen, mainly with email from my Mom, because she uses Outlook Express, if I recall correctly. She doesn't know (or care) that she is using a program to access her email, or that it has settings for how it handles forwarded emails. I just save the email attachment, scan it for malware, then open it with Thunderbird.
    Based on my own experience, I would suggest watching her checking her email, to find out what program she is using, then checking the settings  and chsnge them to "Always forward inline".

On Sat, Sep 22, 2012 at 3:00 PM, Wolfie <lord...@gmail.com> wrote:
If you go do a google search, you'll see where others have a similar issue, in that forwarded emails from certain people are treated as attachments (.eml) and of those, some report that it works fine when others get forwarded emails from that same person, with the recipients using gmail.

Marko Vukovic

Sep 25, 2012, 9:35:34 AM9/25/12
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Indeed Sean

Outlook and Windows Mail are other common culprits.

Marko

Marko Vukovic

Sep 26, 2012, 9:38:27 AM9/26/12
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Firstly, you never did mention what email client your mom was using. You mentioned that 'all three receiving accounts are gmail'. I would assume that 'all three' meant yourself, your son and your mom.

You then said that your mother was 'using Comcast'. Comcast is a service provider, not an email client. Please do always specify full details right from the beginning, it doesn't help much when we have to guess.

Forte' still exists indeed! Not sure why anyone would use that for email though!

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 4:44 AM, Wolfie <lord...@gmail.com> wrote:
Finally got to doing more testing and oddly enough, this time when I did an attachment from her account to both my son and me (at the same time) it showed up as an attachment for both of us.  Did it again and used the preferences for that forward to include the message (vs attaching it) and then it worked.  I remember in the past when I had tried that, it failed no matter what option was used.  So looked through the settings and set it to include the message by default (instead of file attach as default).  I find it odd though because like I said, I had tested it in the past and it wouldn't work despite the setting used.  Also back in June I recall it working for him but not for me when she was sending a few emails on a given day.

Also, as everyone keeps trying to insist that it's the fault of the program..  There is NO program being used other than a web browser.  No outlook, no outlook express, no thunderbird, no forte agent (does that even still exist?), etc.  So for the time being it appears to be fixed, but I won't be surprised if this issue happens again.

Marko

Marko Vukovic

Sep 27, 2012, 5:41:32 AM9/27/12
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Hi Wolfie

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 6:50 PM, Wolfie <lord...@gmail.com> wrote:
Comcast provides web based access to the email services, making it unnecessary to install and use a third party program to access the email.  I thought this was common knowledge.  In case someone else happens to have a problem and mentions that they use AIM or Yahoo or Hotmail, those provide web based email access as well.  Just a tidbit for the future.

Maybe in your part of the world Comcast is a household name, but as you can see from responses, it clearly is not safe to assume that.

A tidbit for you in the future is, just include all relevant information. What you give is what you get out, or something like that ;)

--
Marko

Sean Murphy

Sep 27, 2012, 6:16:08 AM9/27/12
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
    Comcast also provides POP access to their email, making it possible to use an email client, much like Yahoo used to, and Cogeco up here does, and Gmail does, etc. My suggestion was based on my own experience with my mom using Yahoo email. She had no idea what I was talking about when I asked if she was using a program to access her email or just using the web.

Andy

Sep 27, 2012, 11:00:59 AM9/27/12
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 12:50 PM, Wolfie <lord...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Comcast provides web based access to the email services, making it
> unnecessary to install and use a third party program to access the email.

That is true ... but you can also use an email client program with it.
We used Netscape Mail and then Outlook Express to access our Comcast
email account(s).

Even though you did say "She's using Comcast", you didn't say whether
she used it with Comcast's own web interface or through some other
means. That can make all the difference (as it did with us, when we
used Outlook Express with Comcast).

Good to see you seem to have fixed the problem.

Andy