Contacts no longer available

billhansen

Jul 9, 2018, 8:35:05 AM7/9/18
to Gmail-Users
I've been away from computers for a week, and I see that Gmail has been "improved" during this time. My Contacts are no longer available from within a Gmail form. Instead, when clicking the old "Contacts link at upper left of the mail form, I get the message that "All your apps are available here" with an arrow pointing to the bunch or dots at upper right. Clicking on those dots, I need to go to Account, and then to "Contacts" and finally "Go to Contacts". It's a big pain, very inconvenient. As I write this, Contacts are still available on my phone by clicking the Contacts icon.

Is there a fix for this? I'm surprised that nobody else has complained. Maybe I'm the only one who's having this problem?

Thanks - Bill Hansen

Marko Vukovic

Jul 9, 2018, 10:00:03 AM7/9/18
to gmail-users
Hi Bill

There should be a separate item for Contacts within the apps. You can rearrange them by dragging. Here I have made Contacts appear first.

image.png

Regards,
Marko

Marko

billhansen

Jul 9, 2018, 1:34:10 PM7/9/18
to Gmail-Users

Thanks Mark - I missed that. It's a big help. All set now - Bill

karina

Jul 10, 2018, 10:41:25 AM7/10/18
to Gmail-Users
Wish Contacts would go back to where they originally were, grouped with compose and tasks.  The new space for contacts jumps around, is unstable.  Lot of complaints re: same on the net.  Only fix I was able to find was to download Chrome Canary.  Now really, do we have to use a bunch of  unnecessary space downloading apps just to get our good old contacts list back to normal?

Please stop improving Gmail, it was always perfect until you started "improving" it.   LOL

Sean Murphy

Jul 10, 2018, 11:26:28 AM7/10/18
to gmail-users
    Fortunately, I saved the direct URL for my contacts because... well, because I'm OCD. And he lasg time I used it, with the "New Gmail", it still worked. Much shorter than what I am hearing is the "correct" way. The URL is contacts.google.com . At least now I know it wasn't left out, like I thought at first...

Marko Vukovic

Jul 10, 2018, 4:58:24 PM7/10/18
to gmail-users
Hi Karina

We are not Google. We are Gmail users, as the group name and description states.

If you don't like the new interface, why not just switch back?

Regards,
Marko

Marko

Andy

Jul 10, 2018, 5:08:13 PM7/10/18
to [Gmail-Users]
If you don't like the new interface, why not just switch back?

​I still use the old interface (if you can call it that, since there have been a few), and I don't like some of the changes​ they have made to it, without asking us or giving us an option to go back.

Contacts disappeared from Gmail, and you can't get it back.  It is not there in either "old" or "new" interface.  It is moved to a separate product.  (Why?  Beats me, but I'm a dinosaur because I use email, and not so much anything else which might need contacts.)

If you think you can always "go back to classic Gmail", you might be smoking something.  Sooner or later (more likely sooner), I think that option will disappear and everyone will be forced to use either only the "new Gmail", or not Gmail.

Andy

karina

Jul 10, 2018, 5:37:15 PM7/10/18
to Gmail-Users

Kenneth Ayers

Jul 10, 2018, 10:43:47 PM7/10/18
to Gmail-Users
I don't know how reliable Android Police are considered, But according to them,

" Eight weeks after the official rollout announcement in July, all users will be automatically updated to the new Gmail, though they'll be able to opt out for another four weeks. But 12 weeks after the new UI is officially announced, all users will be migrated to it with no option to opt out. It's a good thing that the new UI isn't too controversial."

Marko Vukovic

Jul 11, 2018, 2:39:43 AM7/11/18
to gmail-users
Mine is still where it was.

How are you not able to use contacts within Gmail? If I'm composing a message I click the 'To' and am able to select contacts.

Marko

karina

Jul 11, 2018, 2:40:36 AM7/11/18
to Gmail-Users
I never switched to new interface :(

Andy

Jul 11, 2018, 9:03:14 AM7/11/18
to [Gmail-Users]
​Marco, did you try selecting Contacts in that menu?

My menu looks like that too, but selecting Contacts just gives you only a pop-up window telling you that Contacts has moved​, and where to find it now.

How are you not able to use contacts within Gmail? If I'm composing a message I click the 'To' and am able to select contacts.

​Indeed, one wonders why Google made Contacts no longer within Gmail itself.  Fortunately, you can use two "products" simultaneously.

The "Contacts" that you get when clicking on "To:" is just an abbreviated menu, for the moment, not the full Contacts application.  If I want to edit my Contacts, I have to do it in a separate product, not within Gmail.

It's also possible that your Gmail and ours differ.  I believe it is normal for Google to "roll out" their product changes in increments, not to everyone simultaneously.

Regards,
Andy

billhansen

Jul 11, 2018, 9:45:16 AM7/11/18
to Gmail-Users
Well, this should give everybody a good laugh this morning. I've been using Gmail since 2008, and I never knew about the very handy trick of clicking on the "To" line in a Gmail form. Of course it works - very quick and handy. What a revelation!

As someone in a forum on another topic says,"You learn something new every day" - even if it's embarrassing.

Thanks again Marko - Bill Hansen

On Tue, Jul 10, 2018 at 11:07 PM, Andy <AI.e...@gmail.com> wrote:
If you don't like the new interface, why not just switch back?

​I still use the old interface (if you can call it that, since there have been a few), and I don't like some of the changes​ they have made to it, without asking us or giving us an option to go back.

Contacts disappeared from Gmail, and you can't get it back.  It is not there in either "old" or "new" interface.  It is moved to a separate product.  (Why?  Beats me, but I'm a dinosaur because I use email, and not so much anything else which might need contacts.)

If you think you can always "go back to classic Gmail", you might be smoking something.  Sooner or later (more likely sooner), I think that option will disappear and everyone will be forced to use either only the "new Gmail", or not Gmail.

Andy

Marko

karina

Jul 12, 2018, 10:42:20 AM7/12/18
to Gmail-Users
And once you access your full contact list, it jumps around, it's unstable.

Andy

Jul 12, 2018, 12:58:56 PM7/12/18
to [Gmail-Users]
Sorry, Marko.  I misspelled your name.

Even when I try being careful, I get it wrong.  I guess that's what happens with age!

Andy

catzrule

Jul 17, 2018, 9:12:54 AM7/17/18
to Gmail-Users
This page https://www.howtogeek.com/350563/how-to-find-contacts-in-the-new-gmail/ has a nice explanation of where Contacts can now be found.

Don't like the location?

Please let Google know.  Go to https://mail.google.com/ -> Help -> send feedback.  ("Help" is under the little "gear wheel" top right hand corn

For unstable viewing:-

Please do this in the following sequence:-

Try again.