How to move Sent message to Inbox automatically

APB

Nov 14, 2011, 5:23:58 PM11/14/11
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
I'm trying to figure out a way to "move" Sent messages to the Inbox -- i.e., give them the Inbox label -- automatically rather than manually.  ("Inbox" isn't one of the labels that can be applied via a filter.)

Curiously, in one of my Gmail accounts, this seems to happen, but in another, it doesn't.  I've examined the few filters I have in both accounts, and can't understand what makes the difference.

In both cases, I have filters which assign the label "S" to mail from that address, so that when I move the messages to the Inbox, I can easily see what's what.

(Why do I want to have Sent mail in the Inbox?  Because I have conversation view turned off, but still want to see my part in a thread easily.)

Thanks for any suggestions.
--APB

Zack (Doc)

Nov 15, 2011, 1:28:35 AM11/15/11
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Is the one account using the "Auto-BCC" lab, to address it to yourself also?

--APB

JohnW

Nov 15, 2011, 7:00:02 AM11/15/11
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Filters - which are the 'automatic' method of applying labels to received messages - can (as far as I can see) only apply a single label to any message they're processing, and as you have found out "inbox" isn't one that can be 'selected' from the list of labels on your account to be applied by the Filter action.

When you're automatically 'Forwarding' a message from one account to another, then the message will be given the "inbox" label by the server in the second (receiving) account. BUT the message itself - even thought it was leaving the first account with the 'Sent Mail' label applied - wouldn't carry that "Sent Mail" label across to the receiving account (labels applied are not included when a message is sent out!).

I can see how a message might be Sent (and thus acquire the 'Sent Mail' label), later given another label as well(!), and then subsequently 'Moved to' to apply the inbox label. Unfortunately, I cannot see a way of accomplishing this process automatically - even if you seem to have it occurring already in one of your accounts.

The 'Sent Mail' label is unique in two respects: one is that it cannot be removed from a message once the system has applied it to that message, and secondly that it cannot be applied manually by the users themselves!!

Andy

Nov 15, 2011, 8:59:49 AM11/15/11
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
> The 'Sent Mail' label is unique in two respects: one is that it cannot be
> removed from a message once the system has applied it to that message, and
> secondly that it cannot be applied manually by the users themselves!!

As far as I know (but could be wrong), "Send Mail" is not actually a
Label like all the others, but is actually just a search for
"From:me". So there is no way to change that.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Andy

Andy

Nov 15, 2011, 9:05:50 AM11/15/11
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
I have also noticed the same exact thing, that my other Gmail account
automatically puts new sent mail into the Inbox as soon as I click
Send. It is puzzling why one of them does this while the other does
not.

> Is the one account using the "Auto-BCC" lab, to address it to yourself also?

For me no. (Anyway, what is the "Auto-BCC" lab? I don't see it anywhere.)

Andy

APB

Nov 15, 2011, 4:36:19 PM11/15/11
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
UPDATE:  Both accounts are now applying the Inbox label to Sent messages automatically -- and I haven't changed anything since yesterday before I wrote my OP !

The only thing that I can think of is that somehow applying a label to messages from myself -- the "S" label described below -- is responsible, and that it just took Gmail a day to catch up with the change to the second account.

Oh!!  And I've just realized that the same thing happens with yet another account; I filter on a particular FROM address, and all the Sent messages are in the Inbox too.

So I guess I've answered my question!

--APB

APB

Nov 15, 2011, 3:20:20 PM11/15/11
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
No; I'd never heard of this lab, and I don't find it in the list of those I don't have enabled.
--APB

Craig Falls

Oct 3, 2013, 3:25:57 PM10/3/13
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
A simple fix is to add a filter that catches emails from yourself (from:me) and the action is "Never mark as spam".  For whatever reason, this causes emails you send to show up in your inbox, which I like.

Wawawojo

Oct 4, 2013, 8:22:08 PM10/4/13
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Craig: the "Never send it to spam" filter worked beautifully. For years I was clogging the Internet sending bcc's to myself, but this is much better.

Keith Bainbridge

Oct 6, 2013, 10:27:52 PM10/6/13
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, 04 Oct 2013 05:25:57 +1000, Craig Falls <cfa...@gmail.com> wrote:

A simple fix is to add a filter that catches emails from yourself (from:me) and the action is "Never mark as spam". For whatever reason, this causes emails you send to show up in your inbox, which I like.

So do I and I had tried to demonstrate It some time ago, but confused the issue somehow.

It has been working well for some months

--

Keith BAINBRIDGE

0447 667 468

keit...@gmail.com

Myri

Oct 19, 2013, 1:44:41 PM10/19/13
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Many thanks Craig! Simple solution for something I've been trying to get for a long time.

Wawawojo

Aug 4, 2014, 3:16:32 PM8/4/14
to gmail...@googlegroups.com, keit...@gmail.com
The work-around that places sent emails into the Inbox seemed to stop working last month.  I followed Craig Fall's suggestion to use a filter where all emails from myself were flagged "Never mark as spam."  It worked until late July 2014. Now my outgoing messages show up briefly in my Inbox, and then get swept into the Sent Mail folder.

I guess I'll have to get into the habit of looking at the Sent Mail folder from now on.

Wawawojo

Aug 6, 2014, 7:54:55 PM8/6/14
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Somehow the problem is fixed, so that all of my Sent Mail is also showing up in my Inbox, which is what I want.  I fiddled around with my filters, making sure "Never mark as spam" was flagged, which it was. I may or may not have accomplished anything, because I didn't see any immediate improvement. Two days later, starting today (August 6, 2014), things started working again.