gmail shows unread messages

jmedley

Sep 18, 2008, 10:17:32 AM9/18/08
to Gmail-Users
My gmail account inbox always shows 3 unread messages. I have searched
the inbox and can't find them, tried selecting unread messages (to
delete them) but it says nothing selected. What gives? Thanks, Jim

Zack (Doc)

Sep 18, 2008, 10:37:41 AM9/18/08
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
have you tried the search "is:unread"... this should narrow it down to
JUST the messages in your box (whether in inbox or archived) that are
marked as unread. If you have some/a lot in labels that are unread,
you can use "in:inbox is:unread" to get just the ones that are in the
inbox.

If that still turns up no results, try clearing your cache and
cookies, you may have a stuck cache entry making the link bold with
the number despite no messages unread at all.

--

Abraham Lincoln - "'Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool,
than to speak and remove all doubt."

James Medley

Sep 18, 2008, 10:46:34 AM9/18/08
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Much! That did it. When I did the search, it showed several unread messages. I selected all and marked as read and it cleared it. Thanks again! Jim

Mareck

Jul 29, 2013, 2:46:42 PM7/29/13
to gmail...@googlegroups.com, Gmail...@googlegroups.com
I had 2 unread messages in my category:promotions. Using the "mark messages as read" option when displaying the mails in that category or when displaying all messages does not mark them as read (as you would expect). I was able to find the messages with the suggested "is:unread" and mark them as read by opening them.

I have no idea why the "mark all messages as read" did not work on those messages.

Zack (Doc)

Jul 30, 2013, 12:03:39 AM7/30/13
to Gmail-Users Google Group
More than once I've had messages show up as unread when they had been because my local cache was not updated.  Next time it seems they didn't get marked as read from the menu, try refreshing your login, it might correct their display.