Message "You are out of storage space"

billhansen

Feb 21, 2019, 10:15:42 AM2/21/19
to Gmail-Users
Trying again - this is my second attempt to post. I thought I had posted this earlier today, but apparently it didn't go through. Last post to this forum was Nov 2018. I hope the forum is still open, and that someone looks at it.

For the past week I've been seeing the message "You're out of storage space and will soon be unable to send or receive emils until you free up spade or purchase additional storage". I don't know what this means, or what "storage space" it refers to. There's never been very much in my Google Drive. I do have quite a few Archived emails in Gmail, but there are none which I can really remove. What is the limit on storage space for Archived emails? And how could I find out how much data (all emails, text only, most of them very short) is stored there?

Is this message a scam?

Bill

D Wilson

Feb 21, 2019, 10:50:42 AM2/21/19
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
HI!

Check on the bottom of the inbox page....it usually let you know how much space you have used in your gmail account.  I believe that Gmail allows you 15G free....when I get close to the limit, I clear out my trash to free up some space.

Andy

Feb 21, 2019, 10:51:40 AM2/21/19
to [Gmail-Users]
Hard to say, but probably not a scam if you keep seeing it WITHIN Gmail.

"Storage space" means disk space belonging to Google, that Google lets you use -- probably for free, unless you paid to use more.  It applies to all your Google applications under your login, so it includes Gmail, Google Drive, and anything else.

In Gmail with your message listing in view (e.g., with "Inbox" selected), scroll down to the bottom and look in the left corner under the list of messages.  (Not under the far left column of Labels.)  It says how much storage you are using in all your Google applications.

"xx.xx GB (yy%) of 17 GB used"

So 17 GB is the amount Google lets you use, and apparently either you are close to that limit, or the messages you saw are a scam and not from Google.  This line should answer that question.

I have YEARS of email messages, many with attachments, and it all adds up.  I don't think there is a way to easily show the amount of space that is "ordinary" text messages versus bloated HTML messages (almost no email messages are plain text anymore) versus messages with attachments.

If you go to Accounts, I think there's a way to "purchase" more storage space.  It's probably an annual fee.  I've not done that.  Just saying that I think it's still a possibility.

Otherwise, it may be time to manage your old emails better.  Gmail's mantra used to be that there was no need to delete emails, but it was also true that the amount they allocated to users was constantly increasing.  A long time ago they stopped doing that, but they also made the cap somewhere in the 15 GB range (though I guess it's now been increased to some 17 GB).

By the way, "Archived" emails probably doesn't mean what you think.  ALL it means is they are no longer in your "Inbox" view.  All your messages together, archived or not, adds up to your total usage.

Regards,
Andy

Zack (Doc)

Feb 21, 2019, 10:53:48 AM2/21/19
to Gmail-Users Google Group
Bill,

This is a moderated group.  If you posted via the web interface you'd have seen the message telling you that your message was sent to the moderators for review.  It seems they've just released it.

As far as your message, if it's within an e-mail I'd INSTANTLY say it's Spam... if GMail wants to tell you something they have the the whole website to pop up messages against.  As far as your storage space, click your avatar in the top right and select "Google Account"... it has a page for your storage use; there's also this direct link <https://one.google.com/storage?hl=en&utm_source=google-account&utm_medium=web>

On Thu, Feb 21, 2019 at 10:15 AM billhansen <billhan...@gmail.com> wrote:

Andy

Feb 21, 2019, 12:16:57 PM2/21/19
to [Gmail-Users]
I guess 15 GB is the Google limit, not 17

For some reason it showed 17 GB before.

Andy

Kenneth Ayers

Feb 21, 2019, 12:59:24 PM2/21/19
to Gmail-Users

Don Fadden

Feb 25, 2019, 4:25:21 PM2/25/19
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Dear Andy:
Was this a general information message or did it mean that I specifically am in need of doing something about my storage space?
RSVP
don

Andy

Feb 25, 2019, 5:33:12 PM2/25/19
to [Gmail-Users]
On Mon, Feb 25, 2019 at 4:25 PM Don Fadden <donf...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Andy:
Was this a general information message or did it mean that I specifically am in need of doing something about my storage space?

My message was a general information message, of course.

I have no reason to tell you that you need to do something.  You received the message because I sent it to a group, and you are subscribed to that group.

However, if Gmail says that you are very close to the limit of your available storage space, then it would be wise of you to do something about it.  That might include doing something about your storage space (i.e., getting more), or it might include reducing how much of that space you actually have in use, storing emails or whatever.

Andy