Can't create 'New Folder' with Gmail

val06

Nov 24, 2006, 9:20:47 PM11/24/06
to Gmail-Users
Some E-mails are allowed the User to create a New Folder, but in Gmail
I've failed to find that feature.

For example, in Outlook, MSN, etc. User may simply highlight the
message in INBOX, click on it and see an option "Put a selected message
in another folder".

After clicking on this option User could see an option "NEW FOLDER".

And now User could create his own new folders as many as he(she) wants
and sort (organize) all INBOX / SENT MESSAGES files not only by name of
Sender (Receiver), but by subject (s) as well.

Would someone assist me in creating NEW FOLDERS with Gmail? Thank you.

Ryan Morehart

Nov 25, 2006, 6:51:54 AM11/25/06
to Gmail-Users
In Gmail, labels replace folders (although they can be used the same if
you want).

https://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=6560 may help you.
:)

Ryan

Eggbert

Nov 27, 2006, 6:33:06 AM11/27/06
to Gmail-Users
I think the point of Gmail is the absence of folders. Google is a
search engine and nearly everything that is done related to Google is
in regards to searching. If you read carefully what Gmail instructions
say about how the messages are stored, you will see that it all comes
from a different viewpoint than we are used to. Labels help a lot, but
are basically just another way of sorting or refining the search.

I have found it frustrating to change my way of thinking, after so many
years of putting messages in folders. But, it is getting easier now.
When I want to find a message that I know I have somewhere, I search on
some word and I can easily find that message. But, it certainly is a
different way of thinking. I doubt that Gmail will ever provide the
convenience of folders, simply because they are trying to help us think
in terms of searching not filing.

Zack (Doc)

Nov 27, 2006, 6:54:03 AM11/27/06
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
Why be frustrated? You can use labels just like folders, so you're
not really changing your thinking. Simply appply a label then
"archive" to remove the inbox label. From that point forward you
won't see the message in inbox, and only see it when you click the
label; just like putting the message in the folder. Then when you're
ready to accept that labels are better, add a second label to
messages, and have them in two "folders" (labels) but only have the
one message. You can even use the label in a search to limit the
results, like searching only within 1 folder.

marciaBR

Nov 27, 2006, 7:57:11 AM11/27/06
to Gmail-Users
"But, it certainly is a different way of thinking."

I can't understand why so many people complain about the absence of
"folders". Because there are no "folders" at all. It is just a concept,
a code term on a new language (WEB systems). People are more used to it
because it's older than "labels" If you change the term "folders" for
"labels" there you are - because you don't "file" anything in
"folders" as much as you don't "archive" your labeled mails. It's all a
conception of a system.
It's all in a virtual world.
One has to use one's imagination in a flexible way to feel comfortable
in this new environment - otherwise one's feel really lost.
I suggest watching Matrix again.

ziret

Nov 27, 2006, 1:21:08 PM11/27/06
to Gmail-Users
I found it frustrating at first too, until I realized that I could
"file" the same item in multiple "folders" by applying different
labels. This has been a lifelong dream, so at that point I stopped
using Thunderbird and came online for good.

Juha Siltala

Nov 27, 2006, 2:50:21 PM11/27/06
to Gmail-Users
On Nov 27, 2:57 pm, "marciaBR" <sauchellacomun...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I can't understand why so many people complain about the absence of
> "folders". Because there are no "folders" at all. It is just a concept,

Offline mail clients such as outlook, evolution, thunderbird, pine, you
name it, do store mail in folders, be they mbox files or maildirs. Even
IMAP works the same way. If you want to have a piece of mail in two
folders, you'll have to have two physical copies of it. That's
precisely why Gmail's labels are better: you can apply as many labels
as you wish to one message.

Eggbert

Nov 28, 2006, 5:38:20 PM11/28/06
to Gmail-Users
I think all of you are right, and my level of frustration was very low.
I simply did not understand what "labels" were so I accumulated almost
a years worth of messages (archived, of course), and kept my earthlink
account as my primary email account. Now I am going back and applying
labels. It is really the same, and I do like the idea of only having
one message, no matter how many lables one applies to it. So, it really
is just a different way of thinking. In fact, I am thankful for Google
and for being invited to join Gmail. I am slowly but surely changing
all of my mail to Gmail as the primary account.

Tyler Cheatham

Nov 28, 2006, 7:19:30 PM11/28/06
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
As soon as I used GMail for a week, I shut all of my other email accounts down and primarily use this one.  Nothing compares to GMail.  I too did not like the idea of labels, but now I use them like I use a filing cabinet.  Great tool and great email service.

givemefolders

Nov 29, 2006, 4:40:56 AM11/29/06
to Gmail-Users
I don't think so there is no way to nest lables so all you wind up with
is hundreds of lables with no way to sub cat them.

givemefolders

Nov 29, 2006, 4:14:19 AM11/29/06
to Gmail-Users
Try nesting a lable like a sub folder LOL

On Nov 28, 2:19 pm, "Tyler Cheatham" <tcheath...@gmail.com> wrote:
> As soon as I used GMail for a week, I shut all of my other email accounts
> down and primarily use this one. Nothing compares to GMail. I too did not
> like the idea of labels, but now I use them like I use a filing cabinet.
> Great tool and great email service.
>

> On 11/28/06, Eggbert <JLeHe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > I think all of you are right, and my level of frustration was very low.
> > I simply did not understand what "labels" were so I accumulated almost
> > a years worth of messages (archived, of course), and kept my earthlink
> > account as my primary email account. Now I am going back and applying
> > labels. It is really the same, and I do like the idea of only having
> > one message, no matter how many lables one applies to it. So, it really
> > is just a different way of thinking. In fact, I am thankful for Google
> > and for being invited to join Gmail. I am slowly but surely changing

> > all of my mail to Gmail as the primary account.- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

easterwabbit

Nov 29, 2006, 4:22:20 PM11/29/06
to Gmail-Users
the lkabels feature does not work liek folders, i am frustrated too
about this too, all it does is make the selcted messages turn yellow in
your inbox instead of putting them in the label you vreated in order to
put them in

there is a problem with this feature, gmail should fix it

im really considering dumping my gmail account because stuff does not
work as well as yahoo does, at least in yahoo i can actually make
folders and organize and not have every message in my inbox in a huge
mess

about tired of it

good luck

Zack (Doc)

Nov 29, 2006, 4:29:00 PM11/29/06
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
You do not put messages in labels, you put labels ON messages. If you
want a message to only show up when you search on the label (use the
Green Label link) and not be in your inbox anymore, then Archive the
message. Archive removes the "Inbox" label. In your filters select
"Skip the inbox" and it will never appear in the inbox, only under any
labels that you apply. If you don't apply a label, then it will only
be available through searches, or the global "All Mail" search.

Juha Siltala

Nov 29, 2006, 5:14:12 PM11/29/06
to Gmail-Users
On Nov 29, 11:22 pm, "easterwabbit" <fast68ch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> the lkabels feature does not work liek folders, i am frustrated too
> about this too, all it does is make the selcted messages turn yellow in
> your inbox instead of putting them in the label you vreated in order to
> put them in

No, labels do not work like folders, everyone's trying to tell you
that. But why do you have all your messages in the inbox? Label them,
and archive them!

Nick Chirchirillo

Nov 29, 2006, 8:38:17 PM11/29/06
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
On 11/29/06, easterwabbit <fast6...@gmail.com> wrote:

the lkabels feature does not work liek folders, i am frustrated too
about this too, all it does is make the selcted messages turn yellow in
your inbox instead of putting them in the label you vreated in order to
put them in

If that is all that is happening, then all you are doing is selecting the message.  To label a message, select it, goto More Actions and apply the label.  Now, if you want to get it out of your inbox, click the Archive button.

there is a problem with this feature, gmail should fix it

What's the problem, other than users being to stubborn to learn a new way of organization?

im really considering dumping my gmail account because stuff does not
work as well as yahoo does, at least in yahoo i can actually make
folders and organize and not have every message in my inbox in a huge
mess

All you have to do is Archive the messages and they disappear from your inbox.  Labels are so much more flexible than folders because you can put many labels on one message without having to copy it.  However, if you want to use them just like folders, then only put one label on each message.

about tired of it

Not to sound like a jerk, but I'm about tired of people that are too stubborn to break free from their thought process and want every email provider to be the same.  By the way, when you got your GMail account, there was an email with the subject "Gmail is different.  Here's what you need to know"  In it there is a link to the GMail tour which tells you how to clean up your inbox via the Arcieve button.  However, if you are too lazy to learn something new, then feel free to leave and go back to the service that plagues your screen with ads (Yahoo).

good luck

Same to you.  I hope you go far with your "one way" thought process.

Dennis

Nov 29, 2006, 6:44:26 PM11/29/06
to Gmail-Users
You're have a new mail into yahoo for your work.
You put it into work folder
but the same mail is also personal. Your college is a friend.
So where do you put your mail now into in "friend" or "work".
Whit gmail you can label them.
You got this mail you put the label work and friend on it. and then
comes the trick off cleaning your inbox by pressing archive. Now your
email is gone.
You can vind this email by looking into your labels, search it or using
your contact look to see what he/she sends.

To use your labels start over here:
https://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=6578&topic=1549
To learn more about archiving look here:
https://mail.google.com/support/bin/topic.py?topic=1513
For any help of gmail look over here: https://mail.google.com/support/
and then to learn your first steps and if I was you I take a look at it
(flash): http://www.google.com/mail/help/tour/start.html

If you still didn't figure it out ask again, because a label is far
more usefull then a folder.
It is just the way what you want to know.

Much luck Dennis
PS keep on asking.

On Nov 29, 11:14 pm, "Juha Siltala" <jsilt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 29, 11:22 pm, "easterwabbit" <fast68ch...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > the lkabels feature does not work liek folders, i am frustrated too
> > about this too, all it does is make the selcted messages turn yellow in
> > your inbox instead of putting them in the label you vreated in order to

> > put them inNo, labels do not work like folders, everyone's trying to tell you

givemefolders

Nov 29, 2006, 11:04:38 PM11/29/06
to Gmail-Users
Labels are a great concept. Write up to the point that you have as
many labels as you have messages. Well maybe not that many I'd say
after a hundred or so, the labels box turns into a quite a mess itself.
The easiest fix for this would allow nesting of labels. This would
solve most of these problems all the mail would be the archive and your
labels can be sorted in alphabetical order as well as categorized and
sub categorized yet it is nice to be able to have multiple labels
attached to a single item but if the sorting of the labels that
presents the biggest problem. I currently have well over 200 labels,
and it's already come quite difficult to be able to work through that
many labels and what the fact that your courage to put multiple labels
on single item in order to find them better. You wind up with more
labels, all of which are still in the same box. Always complains would
disappear overnight, if nesting of labels was implemented, and since
it's all virtual anyway, as the previous poster is stated. What is the
matrix last night actually, how hard can it be really?

On Nov 27, 9:50 am, "Juha Siltala" <jsilt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 27, 2:57 pm, "marciaBR" <sauchellacomun...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I can't understand why so many people complain about the absence of

> > "folders". Because there are no "folders" at all. It is just a concept,Offline mail clients such as outlook, evolution, thunderbird, pine, you

Zack (Doc)

Nov 30, 2006, 9:24:28 AM11/30/06
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
But you can't nest. You may not realize it, but you're arguing from
the wrong side of the semantics.

Nesting requires a heirarchical structure. Labels are a flat
structure. You simply cannot nest items in a flat architecture.

I've mentioned in some posts that the functionality you're probably
looking for is actually the ability to hide and selectively show
labels. I think this is a good idea, particularly for people with
ever increasing label lists (you've appearantly doubled from 100 to
200 in under a week).

Another point to remember is that labels are merely a shortcut to
searching. It's a means to apply a commonality to messages that would
not otherwise be obviously related. If every message you label
"Credit Card - Discover" has the word "Discover" in the e-mail
somewhere, or is from the same source, then the label is redundant.
When you need those mails, just search on the from or look for
messages with "Discover" in the text.

Labels aren't meant as an organizational tool (like folders), but are
meant to serve as searchable links for a more virtual world.

Daly de Gagne

Nov 30, 2006, 10:33:30 AM11/30/06
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
I agree with you, but it is nonetheless nice to be able to access the labels more quickly, and not have to read through a list of dozens and dozens of labels.

It seems like its semantics to say that to nest labels require a hierarchical structure -- it shouldn't change anything except how they appear.

In essence, what is being suggested is what a program such as MDE InfoHandler has always done, provide for categorization of labels in groups, as parent/child, and as master/slave.

Daly

givemefolders

Nov 30, 2006, 1:36:58 PM11/30/06
to Gmail-Users
Gasp! I guess I didn't realize the whole discussion was about that
very fact, of not being able to nestle labels. I also realize that
nesting is just a term, but it is a word that best describes the type
of behavior most people would like to see in the label system.
Nesting the labels would not require a hierarchical structure, as an
example of that been done already the current label system points to
groups of mail messages now that are in the archive, but wait, is the
archive not a folder? or container? How difficult would it be to have
labels be included in the same group. But unlike actual message, they
would merely point to another group of messages this would have the
exact same effect, but everything be flat.
And on a side note not every message I get from Discover card
necessarily has the word discover even in it most do, but not all. But
wait, maybe I can edit each and every single e-mail that comes in and
add a single text string which would give them a common search index
key word. I do not to think that falls under the term "ease of use".
If labels are not meant to help organize all your messages, then why is
there behavior like index cards. And yes I know, another term that
references something in the physical world but I believe most people
communicate through physical references. It is something that all
humans share the physical world.

MyGoodFriend

Nov 30, 2006, 2:45:57 PM11/30/06
to Gmail-Users
"the lkabels feature does not work liek folders, i am frustrated too
about this too, all it does is make the selcted messages turn yellow in
your inbox instead of putting them in the label you vreated in order to
put them in"

1. Attach a label to a message.
2. Have the message selected by clicking its check box, then click
'Archive'.
3. Look on the left side of the google mail window, where it says
'Labels'. There, you'll see the label that you created in step 1.
Click that label and you will see all messages that you've attached
that label to.
4. If you prefer to think in terms of folders instead of labels, there
where it says 'Labels' in step 3, pretend it says 'Folders'.

It's that easy.

Nick Chirchirillo

Nov 30, 2006, 4:42:56 PM11/30/06
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
It seems to me that you are just here to pick fights.  People give you suggestions and all you do is reply to those suggestions with sarcasism.  Instead of complaining to people who have nothing to do what what happens to GMail, why don't you do something constuctive, like suggest it to Google, and maybe create a Greasemonkey/CSS script that will allow you to "nest" your labels?

Skinman

Nov 30, 2006, 5:36:13 PM11/30/06
to Gmail-Users
Here here! I second this....

On Nov 30, 1:42 pm, "Nick Chirchirillo" <nickma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It seems to me that you are just here to pick fights. People give you
> suggestions and all you do is reply to those suggestions with sarcasism.
> Instead of complaining to people who have nothing to do what what happens to
> GMail, why don't you do something constuctive, like suggest it to Google,
> and maybe create a Greasemonkey/CSS script that will allow you to "nest"
> your labels?

Ryan Morehart

Dec 1, 2006, 6:47:47 AM12/1/06
to Gmail-Users
On Nov 30, 1:36 pm, "givemefolders" <jrs.basec...@gmail.com> wrote:
> but wait, is the archive not a folder? or container? How difficult would it be
> to have labels be included in the same group.

Actually, it's not. The archive is just all conversations which lack an
"Inbox" label.

Ryan