Messages delete from trash automatically after 30 days? Or NOT.

Rafael Garay

Jun 21, 2005, 9:03:57 PM6/21/05
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
I thought the messages in Gmail's Trash were supposed to permanently
delete after thirty days of being there? Mine don't seem to be doing
that.

Steven McDougall

Jun 22, 2005, 11:48:37 AM6/22/05
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
Hmmm, maybe your calendar is different to Google's....?
Message has been deleted

Dougrs

Jun 22, 2005, 7:27:44 AM6/22/05
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
I dont think I've ever had a message delete. I end up going in
manually and deleting them.

maxine in ri

Jun 22, 2005, 9:09:40 AM6/22/05
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com

No, they haven't. IT seems to be a good idea that they haven't
implemented yet, probably due to the huge quantities of space they
allot to each person.

will white

Jun 22, 2005, 8:12:22 PM6/22/05
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
on the homepage, gmail says u will never need to delete any emails..

anyway, all my trash mails didnt be deleted..
--
______________________________---
life is climb!

Patrick Basister

Jun 22, 2005, 9:20:15 PM6/22/05
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
I wish they would, especially for those who use the POP3 feature of gmail.

G.Waleed Kavalec

Jun 23, 2005, 1:11:16 PM6/23/05
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
My objection is that trash counts towards my quota.
--

G. Waleed Kavalec
http://www.IslamAwakened.com/Quran

Patrick Basister

Jun 24, 2005, 4:49:51 AM6/24/05
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
exactly. so new mail cant get in anymore.

Justin Gruenberg

Jun 24, 2005, 4:55:58 AM6/24/05
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
On 23/06/05, G.Waleed Kavalec <kav...@gmail.com> wrote:

> My objection is that trash counts towards my quota.

I'm nowhere near hitting the upper limit of my quota, but I'm pretty
sure someone said that if its deleted, it doesn't _really_ count. As
in, if you keep getting mail, it'll just keep on working as normal.

It's bizzare behavior.. but I don't really care.
Message has been deleted

Justin Gruenberg

Jun 24, 2005, 1:00:07 PM6/24/05
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
On 24/06/05, Judie <Jud...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am pretty sure that mail in the trash IS counted toward the quota.
> It's the only way I can explain the percent of my mailbox being used
> that Gmail is showing, cause I move most of my messages to the trash.
>
> Judie

But if you were to let it collect, and continued receiving mail until
you were at 100% (with a significant amount in the deleted items)...
would your mail bounce?

Mark Dorett

happydays

Jun 24, 2005, 2:43:02 PM6/24/05
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
make_money_interturks invites all of new business friends and
memberships..

group web adres and join page :

Group Email Addresses
Post message:
make_money...@yahoogroups.com
Subscribe:
make_money_inte...@yahoogroups.com
Unsubscribe:
make_money_inter...@yahoogroups.com
List owner:
make_money_in...@yahoogroups.com

all messages will be free! (opportunities)
other contact  :
freemar...@gmail.com

Thank you for participating in this group! In the file section there are some usefull web tools you can download. Again thank you for joining our group and take atvantage of the free sign ups on our homepage.

Shayne Seymour

Jun 24, 2005, 3:12:26 PM6/24/05
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
I currently have 10,357 messages in Trash. I used to delete purge
them now and then.

My usage % decreased when I deleted enough messages.
--
www.shayneseymour.com
http://shaynereign.blogspot.com

G.Waleed Kavalec

Jun 24, 2005, 7:20:18 PM6/24/05
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
I am 100% sure.

I had 10000+ trash messages and spent several hours clearing it.

I went from 59% to 46%

Luka Kladaric

Jun 24, 2005, 8:18:32 PM6/24/05
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
I don't know about you, but I can't see where it says the TRASH
messages will be deleted after 30 days... all I can find is that the
SPAM messages will be permanently deleted after 30 days...

and maybe it's just a weird coincidence, but I don't have any spams
older than 30 days... it could be that exactly 30 days ago I started
ignoring the spam folder, I dunno... I'll tell you in a couple of
days.

On 6/22/05, Rafael Garay <rga...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Free Willy Wonka

Don

Jun 24, 2005, 10:55:11 PM6/24/05
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
I don't want to take the chance of it bouncing, so I'll let somebody else do
the test you suggest.

Mark Dorett

Jun 25, 2005, 6:38:04 AM6/25/05
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
Good point although I am sure it used to say so.

Having cleared my trash folder, it now says

"No conversations in the trash. Who needs to delete when you have over 2000 MB of storage?!"

which implies that trash does count towards the limit.

Rafael Garay

Jun 25, 2005, 2:30:09 AM6/25/05
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
You know... now that I look.. I don't see where it says they will be
deleted after 30 days either. I could have sworn it used to say that.
I even went to the google groups web page for this group and did a
search for "trash" and there are other posts where the 30 day trash
deletion was mentioned... and the fact that it wasn't working.. this
was a long time ago though. I'm thinking they removed that feature of
auto trash deletion. Unless someone else can find where it says it
currently.

Steven McDougall

Jun 25, 2005, 6:50:33 AM6/25/05
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
Hmmmm, I thought it used to say that too.

Fuzzy Logic

Jun 25, 2005, 9:48:56 AM6/25/05
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
It did. They removed that message about a month ago.

Fuzzy
--
"Men may doubt what you say, but they will believe what you do."
*Lewis Cass {1782-1866 American Politician}

Rafael Garay

Jun 27, 2005, 1:13:18 PM6/27/05
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
Trash is trash. I want it to delete. I guess I'll have to manually
delete all 12,000 of them and keep an eye on the Trash after that to
make sure it doesn't get out of control again and take so much time to
empty. If I delete 1000 per day I should be done in a couple weeks :)

Don

Jun 27, 2005, 5:52:06 PM6/27/05
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
The lack of a DELETE ALL button is a royal PITA. So is the lack of a
setting to turn off saving sent mail. So is the lack of a setting to delete
downloaded mail instead of sending it to the trash.

Those three items are the top three reasons I am about to give up on Gmail
and go to a Yahoo paid account. For less than 2 bucks a month, no more
PITA.

Don

Jun 27, 2005, 10:25:52 PM6/27/05
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
All of those a very good points that I'm sure google will or at least should address. It almost seems like they count on *everyone* not needing to delete emails or not wanting too.

Steven McDougall

Jun 28, 2005, 9:20:58 AM6/28/05
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
Well, remember that Gmail is still mostly beta...it could change to your needs =P

Steven Horn

Feb 3, 2014, 2:21:04 AM2/3/14
to gmail...@googlegroups.com, Gmail...@googlegroups.com, Steven McDougall
I am told that messages in Bin are to be deleted 30 days after having been consigned to that folder.  Mine are not.  What goes?

Zack (Doc)

Feb 3, 2014, 5:49:50 AM2/3/14
to Gmail-Users Google Group
The help file's statement is "about 30 days"  I have seen this go a little longer from time to time, and rarely it goes even further.  How much longer (after you've deleted them) have you been seeing  yours "hang about"?  Are you using an offline mail reader (like Thunderbird)?  It might not sync up the permanently deleted status, thereby appearing for the messages to still be there.

Steven Horn

Feb 7, 2014, 10:02:28 PM2/7/14
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Zack,

If I go to my Bin, I get the message "Messages that have been in the bin for more than 30 days will be automatically deleted".  I have some 25 messages in the bin that are more than 30 days old and the oldest of these is dated December 3, 2013.  I am reading them in Gmail so synchronization should not be a problem.

Steven A. Horn

Steven A. Horn
3324 Barrington Road
Nanaimo, B. C. Canada V9T 5R5
Cell     +1 (778) 269-3754
skype steven.a.horn
email  steve...@gmail.com

Zack (Doc)

Feb 8, 2014, 2:21:25 PM2/8/14
to Gmail-Users Google Group
So, the choice of wording there is different from the help file; but the point is still, "from the day it was deleted".  Two months old, even if you deleted it that day, is not really that old.

When I tracked it carefully a few years ago, I saw it get about that old, or a little older, but one day it would suddenly be back to things only 30 days (a large amount of delete)... why is the messages not being deleted so rapidly an issue?

Andy

Feb 8, 2014, 3:30:06 PM2/8/14
to [Gmail-Users]
Having been a Gmail user for several years, I can tell you there are infrequent periods when old Trash messages do not disappear precisely 30 days after being deleted.  Once (years ago) I saw them go somewhat more than two months, before they caught up again.

Do I care?  I don't.  It was an interesting curiosity, but nothing more.  If it really matters to me, all it takes is a click on the "Delete forever" button to make them go away.   (There used to be an "Empty Trash" button too, but that apparently went away.)

Are you afraid that your particular Gmail account is malfunctioning?

I am puzzled when you say they are "in the Bin".  That implies you are using an email client.  In Gmail's own user interface, as far as I know it is always called "Trash", not "Bin".

Andy

Zack (Doc)

Feb 8, 2014, 5:31:12 PM2/8/14
to Gmail-Users Google Group
Actually, Andy, I believe in UK English, and perhaps other languages (I don't use other languages) it is called Bin instead of Trash.  Cultural differences :)

Zack (Doc)

Feb 8, 2014, 5:33:22 PM2/8/14
to Gmail-Users Google Group
Oh... and When I am in the "Trash" folder, I have one of those links at the top to "Empty Trash Now", right next to the statement about things being deleted if they are there "more than 30 days"  They don't say AT 30 days... so technically they didn't tell Steven wrong.

Jeff Grossman

Feb 8, 2014, 5:59:22 PM2/8/14
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
It is from the date it was put in the trash bin and not the date of the message. Also google deletes messages around 30 days since they were put in the trash. You might have some that are in there for a few days past the 30 day mark.

Jeff

Steven Horn

Feb 9, 2014, 2:33:29 AM2/9/14
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
My language preference for the user interface is "English (UK)" and the reference there is to "Bin".  If I switch to "English (US)", the reference is to "Trash".

As for the "30 day" rule, I now understand it.

Steven A. Horn

Steven A. Horn
3324 Barrington Road
Nanaimo, B. C. Canada V9T 5R5