Intercepting Email BEFORE it gets classified as SPAM

Steve Swift

Dec 1, 2017, 7:56:39 PM12/1/17
to Gmail-Users
Is there a mechanism that I can use to discard emails that are patently spam, before the gmail spam filter classifies it as spam?

Or alternatively, is there a filter that could be used to delete items already in spam, but not worth even thinking of reading?

I'm a firm believer that computers should make things easier, and having to delete hundreds of spam items doesn't feel like "simpler".
Yes, I know I could be really lazy, and wait 30 days for them to be deleted automatically, but I prefer to eradicate the worst spam as soon as possible (Ideally before it even downloads to my system)

Sean Murphy

Dec 1, 2017, 9:40:51 PM12/1/17
to gmail-users
    I have heard a rumor that if you delete spam before the thirty days, the Gmail filters don't necessarily learn that it should be quarantined. Ever since I heard that, I figure why take a chance? So I mark spam as "read" once I have confirmed that it is actually spam and not a false positive. That way no chance of the filters not learning to route it into quarantine, and I get to teach them what email NOT to label as"Spam".

    Of course, I read my gmail in the browser, not downloaded into an app, so spam doesn't take up any space on me, and can't download anything while it is labeled as spam unless I am very determined to make it do so.